Favorite food...

Options
What is your favorite home cooked meal choice now that you are eating healthier?

Replies

• 1happydogg
    Options
    I love pasta and have a favorite replacement-broccoli slaw-which I LOVE almost as much as pasta. I love to make homemade marinara sauce with homemade turkey meatballs and store-bought hot italian turkey sausage served over broccoli slaw. Sprinkle on a little fresh grated parmesan and you have a low fat, low carb and low calorie comfort food that's very, very tasty.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to a CSA so generally have a lot of veggies on hand and pressure to use them.

Quite often dinner ends up being some sort of kale or chard skillet toss with whatever other veggies seemed like they needed using, lots of garlic and generally some soy/miso and lots of sriracha. I incorporate protein either with a salmon fillet seared in the same skillet, garbanzo or white beans tossed in, or a runny fried egg over the top.

When it's cold I also really like to make veggie soups. I save all my veggie scraps in a baggie in the freezer, then every so often dump it all into a stock pot with water and salt and boil to make veggie stock.
    To that I add whatever veggies and beans I want, sometimes some noodles.

Also, cheater mac n' cheese: Winter squash can be cut into chunks and boiled with pasta until soft, then separate the pasta out, drain most of the water and puree the squash with just enough of the cheeses of your choice and some milk or non-dairy milk. Toss with the pasta. Can add broccoli, too!

Heavy on nutrients, light on time and dishes. :)
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    I love pasta and have a favorite replacement-broccoli slaw-which I LOVE almost as much as pasta. I love to make homemade marinara sauce with homemade turkey meatballs and store-bought hot italian turkey sausage served over broccoli slaw. Sprinkle on a little fresh grated parmesan and you have a low fat, low carb and low calorie comfort food that's very, very tasty.

Sounds gooood!
    I have been making my own pasta sauce that is packed with veggies. I just discovered zuchinni pasta, so now i can eat spaghetti as much as I want now :-) Even my husband loves it and he usually isn't as into veggies as me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Had some friends over and made duck confit poutine with some leftover confit tonight, very yummy.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Not my all time favorite but definitely delicious! Shepards pie made with ground turkey/chicken instead of beef. Instead of mashed potato I mash together 2 medium potatoes and a whole head of cauliflower. Easy, healthy and yummy!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Steak, wine, and broccoli, with ice cream for dessert.

Or chili and beer, with ice cream for dessert.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Fully trimmed sirloin and charcoal grilled mushroom/ onion/ pepper kabobs...
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    Had some friends over and made duck confit poutine with some leftover confit tonight, very yummy.

I had to google that lol, but it looks good. I have been getting better and better at cooking and I am especially proud of that. I came from a hamburger helper southern family. My mom could not cook, nor did she have any desire to learn. My husband was born in Jamaica, so I learned to cook meals he grew up eating and it inspired me to learn even more.
  • momtastic2014
    Options

I have started putting frozen bananas in a food processor with a splash of almond milk: instant ice cream! You can add nuts or whatever in the mix.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Everything but shell fish ! LOLOLOL
  • robinmmurphy3
    robinmmurphy3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Shrimp tacos are probably my favorite and I eat them at least twice a week. Sautee the shrimp in a bit of coconut oil with cumin and garlic. Serve them in small corn tortillas with shredded cabbage or lettuce, tomato, onion and cilantro and a bit of light sour cream. Simply DELISH!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options

I had to google that lol, but it looks good. I have been getting better and better at cooking and I am especially proud of that. I came from a hamburger helper southern family. My mom could not cook, nor did she have any desire to learn. My husband was born in Jamaica, so I learned to cook meals he grew up eating and it inspired me to learn even more.
    Good for you. Yeah both my parents were awful cooks but my grandmother and Aunt made up for it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I have started putting frozen bananas in a food processor with a splash of almond milk: instant ice cream! You can add nuts or whatever in the mix.

I'm so very sorry
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    Shrimp tacos are probably my favorite and I eat them at least twice a week. Sautee the shrimp in a bit of coconut oil with cumin and garlic. Serve them in small corn tortillas with shredded cabbage or lettuce, tomato, onion and cilantro and a bit of light sour cream. Simply DELISH!
    Heck yes! Since discovering home made salsa, I will never go back to the jar.
  • momtastic2014
    Options

I'm so very sorry
    Lol. It's not exactly the same but it jazzes up daily fruit eating.