Irritability Factor

Options
Anyone else start to feel more stressed out and irritable when starting to lose weight. I feel like I have less patience and my mood isn't as good. Any ideas for combating this side effect? Thx

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Up fruit & veggie intakes. Maybe take an additional supplement if you feel you need it. Regular exercise helps boost endorphins. Lots of water helps to hydrate you. Don't drop your calories too low. Don't tell yourself "you are on a diet".
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I am more irritable and frustrated when I am not losing weight...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    grab a snickers.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    grab a snickers.
    Ha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Maybe your goals are too aggressive. When I was losing I just set to lose 1 Lb per week and MFP gave me around 1850 calories. With exercise I was grossing around 2100-2200 per day most days. I was pretty fine with that and steadily lost about 1.2 Lbs per week for a total of 40 Lbs.

When I first started out I set my goals for two pounds per week and that was just ridiculous...I was in a pretty ****ty mood as a 5'10" adult male eating 1350 net calories per day. That lasted all of about a week and then I got real...
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    grab a snickers.

:laugh:

Seriously though, I only get frustrated when I don't lose or when I get a craving that I give in to. BUT. I am always very happy with the way I control my binge/craving. I eat what I wanted to and stop there, and I eat a smaller portion. Lifestyle change, hell yeah!
  • freedom403
    freedom403 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ha. Maybe it's just too much of a shock for my overweight system. Doing 1200 a day. I just have this stressed feeling. Exercise might help release that but it is sooo hard to get psyched to do it when I feel this way. I read all the advice so thanks.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ensure that you are eating at a sustainable deficit. Depending on how much you have to lose you shouldn't for example set your weight loss goals to 2 pounds per week unless you need to lose more than 100 pounds. Rule of thumb 50-100 =1.5, 15-50 1.0 and less than 15 probably .5 per week.

Eat enough food and your mood will improve! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you eating per day?

I call under 150g/day (but above ketosis) the carb danger zone where I'm seriously irritable and aggressive and about to cut a bisch for a cookie. The specific danger zone limit will vary by person.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    generally irritable checking in.

:angry:
  • HeatherBrown4
    Options
    I found this but because I cut out the caffeine and sugar from fizzy drinks? Maybe something like that.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes I do.....but I've notice more that I'm a cranky pants when I don't exercise. I usually exercise in the morning, but if I miss my workout, I feel bleh!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    oh definitely! Im super crabby and my sex drive is decreased as well. It only lasts a couple of days tho- til I am used to eating less and ignoring my fat cells which are screaming FEED ME
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Nope. I am a goddamn peach.
  • size10wannabe85
    Options
    Ha. Maybe it's just too much of a shock for my overweight system. Doing 1200 a day. I just have this stressed feeling. Exercise might help release that but it is sooo hard to get psyched to do it when I feel this way. I read all the advice so thanks.

I've only just started following my MFP goals for a week (though i signed up ages ago i just got round to doing it now) - it says my cals shoud be 1200 to lose 2lb weight.. i've lost nothing.. it made me really annoyed.. one day i was about 1300 or just over and i drank an average of 2litres of water a day and walking an hour most days.. it really did dishearten me.. but i put a post up and other ppl were saying to use TDE calculator or soemthing.. didnt save URL tho i will find it and post but it says i should have 1304 for my 2lb and 1391 for my 1lb, i think i will stick to my 1200 goal as the app is good but if in another 3days i've still lost absolutely nothing i think i'll go with the other calculator..

but yeah today im irritable and really deflated, this is a huge difference to how i used to eat and its sad to see no benefit
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    This is what I'm going through today. Usually when I get stressed, I eat. That's what got me into the position I'm in now! lol I just got a promotion as an office manager, it's stressing me out, my kids are stressing me out and I can't turn to food. I feel like I have nothing and it's terrible but I know the outcome of changing my eating lifestyle will be great. So maybe it's a small price to pay.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    No! I have the opposite reaction. I get all excited.
  • freedom403
    Options
    Interesting replies. Thanks. Need to figure out where to check how many pounds I set the weight loss for. Funny part is I'm really not that hungry, just don't feel like my usual self. I feel stressed but will work through it I guess. Probably because food is my go to stress reducer......
  • freedom403
    Options
    This smack on describes where I am right now.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What are your settings/goals? Two pound a week? Might be worth your while to decrease this to one pound a week that way you won't feel so restricted/hungry/irritable.