10 minute trainer

Options
2»

Replies

• minjosco
    Options
    On the Team Beachbody Site they responded to this question the same every time it came up:

"If you triple stack and push it, about 300 calories. So if you push it an do one exercise, about 100 calories on average. Of course the Yoga really doesn't burn very many, but there is more to it than simply what was burned during the exercise."

So sounds like 10 minutes = 100 calories. But they also say for more accurate individualized amounts you need to calculate yours independently. I have no idea how to calculate mine independently, LOL. 100 sounds good for now, just starting out. I think I'll split hairs after I lost a lot of weight, LOL. Bought this but my DVD player broke so haven't been using it - just got a new DVD player - just starting up on it. I work from home all day - so I'm hoping I can convince myself I CAN stop for 10 lousy minutes to do this 2-3 times a day. :happy:
  • texmcfaden
    texmcfaden Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Generic answer: Moderate intensity, 120-140 calories.... see the rest below for more on calories and the best tool for measuring them AROUND THE CLOCK.

There are a number of variables. If you've ever done Mike Dolce's UFC Fit workouts, then when you use the online TRACKER, it asks you a number of questions... how you felt when done, how well you kept up with the pace, how much effort you put into the workout, and how much you were sweating during the workout or by the end of it.

From there, it gives you the calorie burn.

Most of those are about 24 minutes of high energy total body moves and there is no more than maybe a 10-second break between rounds.

I average around 750 calories during those workouts currently. My Body Media collaborates that.

Running, even at speed, will not burn the same calories, so folks making comparisons are talking fruits versus vegetables... not even the same thing, especially since running is NOT a Full Body Workout. It develops specific muscles and it develops a tolerance, which we call "endurance", as well as muscle memory. Studies show that repetitive exercises lead to plateauing in development and efficiency in use... meaning your body adapts and conserves.

Thus over time, your calorie burn will decrease with training runs. Most runners are creatures of habit, so this is typical.

Also, as your weight decreases, you burn fewer calories. Why? Because the body 1) requires fewer calories to maintain that weight, and 2) because your load is lighter and your muscles stronger and more efficient.

That's where the weighted vests, such as Hyper Gear's vest or the Titin weighted shirt (or both in my case) and a military plate carrier vest come in handy. You can burn more calories by having "heavy" training days or power walks... but I don't advise people to "run" heavy. Running has been proven to be the worst thing for your body due to the impact and jarring... however, it's still incredibly tranquil... but Speed Walking actually is safer and provides a much higher calorie burn because it actually incorporates far more muscle groups.

I'm not a pro speed walker, but I can routinely drop down to an 8-minute mile pace... which really freaks "runners" out. I've yet to reach the point where I maintain that pace for a full half marathon, but I do know that I can turn my steps over fast enough to do what millions of other competitive speed walkers are out there doing.

So, the person on here who burned 350 calories might very well have done that, whereas the runner did not.

EFFORT... INTENSITY... THE SQUEEZE... THE NEGATIVE REP MOTION... all of those things make a huge difference.

Add compression gear, and your workout becomes even more effective and, as the Body Media has verified for me, it does improve your calorie burn.

Winter is the best time to train and yet that's when most people take a break. Your body burns more calories to stay warm while the body is less efficient when trying to stay cool.

The advantage of compression gear and my Titin Weighted Training Shirt is that the compression increases circulation and improves it... and the Titin shirt uses silicon gel inserts, so I can chill the shirt (easier than taking inserts in and out) and that helps keep me cool during the 100+ temps.

Also, all of those layers I wear in the 100+ temps actually help cool me because of the moisture wicking on the bottom layers. There is moisture for evaporation, and as it passes through the layers, they stay wet, and thus cooler, but my skin is dry.

I can actually start to chill in the 100+ temps ESPECIALLY if there's a steady breeze... which literally makes me start to shiver and that means I'm burning more calories.

I use the Body Media device on my arm... 24/7/365. It's used by doctors and on the show, The Biggest Loser.

There is no cheating. It measures many things, including sweat, and has FDA approval meaning it's been thoroughly tested in clinical trials.

It's a great tracking tool... but the best tools remain your scale and your mirror.