Newlywed food advice

Options
So the last time I did this I lost about 70 pounds. Then I got lazy. I gained every last pound back. Sigh.... So I'm starting over. However, I have a new concern that I didn't have last time. I just got married a little over 2 months ago and am now living with my husband. My husband is about 100 pounds lighter than me and can pretty much eat whatever he wants. It's so maddening!

Here's my concern: He always says it's about calories in/calories out. Which is true. However, when he can just be satisfied eating 2 pieces of pizza I want to eat the whole dang thing!! It's easier for me if all of the junk food is out of sight out of mind, but he doesn't understand that it's so much harder for me to say "no" than it is for him. When I lived alone the junk didn't come in unless I purchased it, and I didn't purchase it because I didn't want to eat it. I realize that this is my journey and he shouldn't be penalized for my complete lack of willpower, but what do I do?!

Replies

• Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to him? Would he be willing to indulge in his irresistible favorites say at lunch and make choices that you can both enjoy for the meals you eat together?
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new marriage.

I agree with above. Can he help work with your more?

I have the issue, between my husband and kids and the junk they will eat. (I know I should have more kid control but if the husband can have it...... thats another issue).

Even if he keeps some of your most difficult items out of the house it may help.

What about a workout plan? What if you get a DVD series that you both like and you work out together? Maybe him seeing all your effort will help him see how the food is affecting you also?
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean as it's the same in my newlywed household: here are some ways which I manage staying on track with a junk food loving husband:

Designate "junk food nights" like maybe one night once a week or every two weeks that you are able to have a calorie splurge on the better part of a pizza, or chicken wings with lots and lots of blue cheese dip or whatever other indulgence there is.

Cook yummy yet healthy dinners that you guys can enjoy together - that solves the problem of not having the bad food in the house all the time, but hopefully with awesome dinners like a steak salad, or asian summer rolls, or burgers on a whole wheat bun with xtra lean ground beef or ground turkey he won't feel "deprived". Example: my chip loving husband also looks forward to kale chips or broccoli roasted with sea salt. There are a lot of healthier foods that you can jazz up to make taste "unhealthy". Even pizza for example, you could do home made, and use a whole wheat crust or cauliflower crust and add healthy toppings like lots of veggies and skim mozzarella instead of double cheese/double chorizo or whatever man pizza he probably orders?!

In our house, we try and eat a meal that is tasty/relatively healthy most nights, and then my husband makes up for the meal by splurging on dessert that he brings in the house and are out of sight out of mind to me until he is having twinkies or a reese chocolate bar..while I am having my dessert of no sugar jello and cool whip - to be honest, most nights I look forward to my low cal dessert and am totally satsified.

Good luck!!!!!
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to him? Would he be willing to indulge in his irresistible favorites say at lunch and make choices that you can both enjoy for the meals you eat together?

^^^ This... Also, even if he has no problem with weight, EVERYONE can benefit from eating healthier. My fiance and I are both trying to lose weight and, while its great to have a partner in this, I have to work at it much more maticulously. I prepare two of his meals each day and keep healthy snacks around the house, fruit and nuts, the rest is up to him. When cooking meals I also weigh my food and plan out a larger portion for him. Since you've lost so much weight before, you know that your will power will only get stronger too! You won't always want to eat the whole dang pizza, hang in there!!
    GL!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who suggest that your husband needs to support you. There are ways to do that without necessarily cutting out things he enjoys, though. For example, if you get pizza, set aside one serving each, then wrap and freeze/refrigerate the rest before you sit down to eat. Have celery or salad on hand for eating after you finish the pizza. A big problem with a lot of junk food, and other things that encourage overeating (a good pizza isn't necessarily junk, after all) is that they can encourage you to take a little more, and then a little more after that…. By measuring out portions ahead of time, you can include them in your daily planning. I do that with things I cook, too: I use MFP's recipe builder to enter all the ingredients, figure out calories per serving, then divide up the food into 2-serving containers for my wife and me: one for dinner, one for later in the week, and if it's a big batch, additional containers for the freezer. Then when I thaw them out, I know I have two servings and won't be tempted to pick at leftovers.

If your dwelling has room, you might also give him his own pantry, maybe even with a lock, where he can keep snacks that he wants to eat but you want to avoid.
  • srsly_sarah
    srsly_sarah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation! (I also got married two months ago). My husband was losing weight because he was only eating what I was eating, yet I was gaining from adding cheese to everything.

We compromised that he can buy any junk food he wants, but he keeps it upstairs in his office. All of our meals are healthy (usually from skinnytaste.com). He adds cheese, sour cream, etc., while I just eat it plain.
  • srsly_sarah
    srsly_sarah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who suggest that your husband needs to support you. There are ways to do that without necessarily cutting out things he enjoys, though. For example, if you get pizza, set aside one serving each, then wrap and freeze/refrigerate the rest before you sit down to eat. Have celery or salad on hand for eating after you finish the pizza. A big problem with a lot of junk food, and other things that encourage overeating (a good pizza isn't necessarily junk, after all) is that they can encourage you to take a little more, and then a little more after that…. By measuring out portions ahead of time, you can include them in your daily planning. I do that with things I cook, too: I use MFP's recipe builder to enter all the ingredients, figure out calories per serving, then divide up the food into 2-serving containers for my wife and me: one for dinner, one for later in the week, and if it's a big batch, additional containers for the freezer. Then when I thaw them out, I know I have two servings and won't be tempted to pick at leftovers.

If your dwelling has room, you might also give him his own pantry, maybe even with a lock, where he can keep snacks that he wants to eat but you want to avoid.

My husband and I do the same thing with pre-portioning. We bought an extra freezer with wedding present money and keep lots of pre-portioned, healthy food out there. So, if I am absolutely starved, I have to thaw and reheat extras (which gives me time to evaluate my hunger), as well as keeps me from eating the whole container of enchiladas!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    He always says it's about calories in/calories out. Which is true. However, when he can just be satisfied eating 2 pieces of pizza I want to eat the whole dang thing!! It's easier for me if all of the junk food is out of sight out of mind, but he doesn't understand that it's so much harder for me to say "no" than it is for him.

You seem to have an unhealthy relationship with food, maybe you should speak with someone.
    When I lived alone the junk didn't come in unless I purchased it, and I didn't purchase it because I didn't want to eat it. I realize that this is my journey and he shouldn't be penalized for my complete lack of willpower, but what do I do?!

You kind of gave yourself some advice right there.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    So the last time I did this I lost about 70 pounds. Then I got lazy. I gained every last pound back. Sigh.... So I'm starting over. However, I have a new concern that I didn't have last time. I just got married a little over 2 months ago and am now living with my husband. My husband is about 100 pounds lighter than me and can pretty much eat whatever he wants. It's so maddening!

Here's my concern: He always says it's about calories in/calories out. Which is true. However, when he can just be satisfied eating 2 pieces of pizza I want to eat the whole dang thing!! It's easier for me if all of the junk food is out of sight out of mind, but he doesn't understand that it's so much harder for me to say "no" than it is for him. When I lived alone the junk didn't come in unless I purchased it, and I didn't purchase it because I didn't want to eat it. I realize that this is my journey and he shouldn't be penalized for my complete lack of willpower, but what do I do?!

it sounds like you've got a few wires crossed. you say your husband can eat whatever he wants, yet you state that he only has two slices of pizza and is satisfied, while you want to eat the whole thing.

i think that you should try and draw some inspiration from your husband and just have the two slices. if he does bring home a whole pizza, take half of it and wrap it in tinfoil and put it in the freezer for another day.
  • brittanywade622
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My husband can snack and snack and not gain a pound . I'm trying to control my portions and exercise more, but one thing i do is i try to get him snacks that i don't really like. :)
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it is unfair to decide to lose weight and ask a spouse, who has no problem with weight, to not have the foods they like to eat in their own home.

I do think that spouses should be supportive but this only extends so far. My husband tries to be mindful when cooking and shopping but, in the end, I think it is up to me to learn how to say no. So, if he makes something that I don't want to eat (for whatever reason) I make something for myself. Or, if it is calorie dense but I still want some I'll have a small portion and then supplement with extra veggies.

But, I think it is unfair to tell him that he can't save his nightly ice cream just because I don't think I can control myself.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I think it is unfair to decide to lose weight and ask a spouse, who has no problem with weight, to not have the foods they like to eat in their own home.

I do think that spouses should be supportive but this only extends so far. My husband tries to be mindful when cooking and shopping but, in the end, I think it is up to me to learn how to say no. So, if he makes something that I don't want to eat (for whatever reason) I make something for myself. Or, if it is calorie dense but I still want some I'll have a small portion and then supplement with extra veggies.

But, I think it is unfair to tell him that he can't save his nightly ice cream just because I don't think I can control myself.

but then... that puts all the responsibility on the OP!!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

^ All of that. If you can't control yourself, OP, then that is your problem and your issues that need resolving.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    We're coming up on our 10 year anniversary (lived together closer to 12 years). My husband USED to not understand that I can't have "crap" in the house, b/c I truly have less self-control around chocolate/ice cream than he does. He would say, "well, you don't have to eat it all..." yes, which was true, but not realistic for me.

Over the years, he has come to realize that he would rather have a happy wife than ice cream in the house. He just also realized that it was very difficult for me to eat a serving of ice cream vs. the whole pint.

We've learned to compromise. We compromise on flavors of ice cream for example...that way we only buy 1 container vs. 2 (b/c I would eat from mine and his). He also "hides" his own treats sometimes, which is fine with me (if I don't know it is in the house, I don't want to eat it). He'll also go out to lunch during his work hour when he craves something like pizza, which again is fine with me, b/c it's not in my face.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    At first I thought this was going to be the typical thing where both partners eat the same thing and therefore the wife gains weight because of lower metabolic rate. It sounds like you might have a bingeing problem though, which is entirely your responsibility and will take time and practice to fix. It has nothing to do with being a newlywed.

That said, there are compromises. My fiance definitely eats a lot healthier now that I'm around. I try to keep my portions smaller than his, sometimes adding a salad or something. Or like last night I made burgers but instead of having a bun I put mine on a portabello mushroom and had less cheese. I make a lot of casseroles and pastas and things where he can add extras while I don't. We don't keep a lot of junk in the house. I am not a big chip eater so I don't mind having those around, and then we keep some frozen yogurt that I have once in a while. That said, he's pretty health conscious too and also wants to keep his weight down.

But yeah, sounds more like a personal bingeing problem than a relationship problem :-/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

it sounds like you've got a few wires crossed. you say your husband can eat whatever he wants, yet you state that he only has two slices of pizza and is satisfied, while you want to eat the whole thing.

i think that you should try and draw some inspiration from your husband and just have the two slices. if he does bring home a whole pizza, take half of it and wrap it in tinfoil and put it in the freezer for another day.

but that would make too mush sense!
  • Leanmeup53
    Leanmeup53 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a newly wed got married 16th December 13, feel free to add me. I too have been frustrated with my husbands lack of interest in making healthier choices, but once he has seen the effort I put in and that I've lost 5kg he has now been more supportive and going to start him an account on here so we can go down the journey together. I feel that being on same page helps, see if he can support you more hun
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

What do you do? You put on your big girl panties and be more disciplined. It's that simple. Learn some limits, and quit using him as a scapegoat.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, I have just recently married last September. My husband is much smaller than I am, he eats almost anything at anytime. He supports me, he cooks healthy meals for me; however, he still brings home pizza, chicken wings, and other unhealthy junks. My point is that you can talk to him and he may support you but that doesn't he mean he is going to follow the same diet as you, so the rest is up to you. You need to have willpower and set limits because at the end of the day it is your goal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    divorce is always an option ...