My Skinny Fat plan

Options
124»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    1300 calories is not nearly enough to gain muscle. Your height, weight, and bf% would be useful information, as well as your current goal.
    I realize that -_- I am trying to up my caloric intake! I've brought it up from about 800 to 1400-1500.
    I am 5'9" and I weigh 114 or 115 lbs. I've gained 2 so that's good. I don't know my body fat percentage. I'm not jiggly, that's all haha.
    Based on your stats, your BMR is 1400, and based on the amount of activity you told us, your TDEE is about 2100.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    looks like you are using the standard MFP recommendations. I feel that they are way too tilted to carbs, especially if you are trying to carve fat and build muscle.

Keep the same target and try a 40/30/30 ration under Custom Goals. Get to the gym and lift hard.

Best!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I will use the MFP way. To be at a deficit doesn't mean you're in the red, though, right? To be at a deficit means that at the end of the day you still have x amount of cals to go?
    MFP automatically sets up a deficit if you set it to lose weight. You need to go in to change your goals to maintain weight. Then log your exercise calories, which will give you more calories in your daily goal. Eat those too. If you want to gain muscle, you need to eat more than that, so essentially, go ~200 calories "in the red". Or, look at the calorie calculation, then manually change your calorie goal to 200 above your maintenance level (again, you'd still be logging your exercise calories and eating them back this way).

Also, MFP estimates, and several people think that the estimates are too low, especially for maintenance. So, give it a try for 4-6 weeks and reassess your weight. If you haven't gained at the expected rate, adjust your calories accordingly.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    looks like you are using the standard MFP recommendations. I feel that they are way too tilted to carbs, especially if you are trying to carve fat and build muscle.

Keep the same target and try a 40/30/30 ration under Custom Goals. Get to the gym and lift hard.

Best!

Are you suggesting she eat the calories she has been eating?

It's way way WAY under what she should be eating.

You only build muscle in a surplus.

Please be more specific, this is a girl who is eating very low calories. Health threateningly low.
  • franzhaydn
    Options

Best!

Please be more specific, this is a girl who is eating very low calories. Health threateningly low.
    Yes I am quite confused now, @reimersma4 .... I did lift today and ate 1570 cals! .... Is that more than I need?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Best!

Yes I am quite confused now, @reimersma4 .... I did lift today and ate 1570 cals! .... Is that more than I need?
    You should be eating around 2000-2200 calories.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Best!

It depends what you want. You'll lose weight at that number, possibly fat, possibly muscle, organs hair and feel good factor.You can't turn fat into muscle by the way.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, so I would like to run my researched ideas past you who have experience!
    Getting right to the chase, I am skinny and I have less muscle than I'd like. I have fat, and look fatter than I did 20lbs ago.
    My history out of the way, I want to bulk up but not gain fat. I don't care how long it takes. This is my goal.
    My plan I'd like some opinion on:
    1. Eat mostly protein (my diet is split three ways equally between all three macros now)! Eat 1300 cals a day. Which is my BMR.
    2. Do heavy weights low reps on Monday Wednesday Friday.
    3. Optional aerobics ONLY AFTER weights not before.
    4. Anaerobic training such as HIIT on Tues, Thurs.

My main questions are, should my macro proportions be different? And would doing more aerobics, not anaerobics, hinder muscle gain?
    Thanks!

Stop eating at a deficit , you WILL lose fat yes , but doesn't help if you have zero ,muscle . Body composition is key when it comes to looking in shape . Start eating at TDEE (atleast) +15% and lift heavy combining compound + isometric movements . Do this for a couple of months and GAIN weight slowly . THEN proceed to a deficit to expose your new muscular physique .