FitBit

Options
My Husband is wanting to get these but I know nothing about them or if they are worth the $99! I like the idea of them but wholly smokes they seem very complicated. I watched a you tube video and got so freaked out I told my Husband that I did not want one. Now, I am rethinking this whole idea. Wal-Mart has the FitBit scale and arm band in a combination deal for around $229. IF we do this it would be out Valentines presents to one another. I can not wait to hear what MFP members have to say about them.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Best money I've ever spent in my life.
  • Thencalisays
    Thencalisays Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit ultra and used it until it didn't work anymore (aka my husband washed it a few times lol) I traded down for the Zip and I love it. It doesn't track stairs or sleep like my last one, but it tracks my activity level very effectivly. When I suspect something is up with my sleep I use an app on my phone to track it anyway. I love my fitbit because I can compare and compete with friends, trying to beat their daily and weekly levels. My biggest issue is forgetting to clip it on since I am super careful about taking it off so hubs doesn't wash it again lol.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Love the zip. Like Jonnythan, best money I've spent on myself in a while
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Not sure you really need the scale too. Just weigh yourself on your own scale and log it into fitbit.
  • charlotteX92X
    charlotteX92X Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just got the fitbit zip and have to admit it is pretty awesome. Very easy to use and seeing all my activity throughout the day in graphs is cool.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I bought a fit bit one and the scale. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.... Best investment for myself in a long time
  • jthrashburn
    Options
    I also had the fitbit ultra and once I wore it out, I opted for the ZIP. Advantages: You never have to charge it and it automatically syncs within 20ft of my lap top. Less complicated and just as effective! It is certainly motivating (in fact, if I am not moving enough it sticks out it's tongue at me - which I now call the "tongue of disdain" and try to avoid!). Good luck :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are at their core a fancy pedometer ... they track step based activity throughout the day and sync with phone apps or PCs to display the data. Depending on model, some have an altimeter to track flights of stairs and some track sleep, breaking it down into awake, restless, and sleeping periods based on movement. Some clip on your clothes, others are a wristband worn 24 hours a day.

I use mine to track when I get off my butt and move around throughout the day but it is only one of several tools used to track my activity. It's great for knowing how long I'm spending in bed, when I'm restless, and how often I get out of my chair and get active at work. Knowing my stride length helped with make the distance traveled more accurate. It syncs with MFP and other fitness programs to share data.

If a fitbit is useful to you or not depends on what data you and/or your husband are trying to track. It will tell you how many steps you take a day ... help identify sleep patterns ... but isn't a good tool for automatically tracking pushups, situps, etc. A fitbit with MFP is helpful in tracking calories in and daily activity. If either of you uses a HRM, some of those programs can also sync with both fitbit and MFP for a more complete picture of your activity.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I love it. Single best motivator I have.
    I got the Fitbit One on February 8, 2012 and the Force at Christmas. I have been using them both to see how close the numbers are.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    There are better scales. But I have a Fitbit Flex and love it. But would prefer the Force if it was waterproof. Seeing as how it isn't .. the Flex it will be.

But .. it is a major pain in the *** getting it into sleep mode and most times I cannot accomplish it. So .. I just deal with it manually.

Other than that .. a great product.
  • mlhay81
    mlhay81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one! It is such a motivation but just so you are aware it is basically a fancy pedometer. It uses your height/weight/age/etc to estimate how many calories you're burning and logs it right in to MFP and its own site. It will not be as accurate as a heart monitoring system. It really isn't very complicated and the battery lasts FOREVER! OK more than a week at 10,000+ steps a day. SO much better than any pedometer I've ever used. I've never really seen a need for the scale as I already have a very good scale... but if you want wireless for everything and don't already have a scale, I've heard it is pretty accurate.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are better scales. But I have a Fitbit Flex and love it. But would prefer the Force if it was waterproof. Seeing as how it isn't .. the Flex it will be.

But .. it is a major pain in the *** getting it into sleep mode and most times I cannot accomplish it. So .. I just deal with it manually.

Other than that .. a great product.

I don't have issues getting my flex into sleep mode ... a few quick taps and it's done.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Love my zip! It keeps me motivated to move more. I have done a few laps up and down stairs at th end of the day to meet my goal :P
  • Crash7676
    Crash7676 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi! I bought a Fitbit One and washed it the first time I wore it. So I returned it, they were very nice, sent me a new one. I am a Spinning & Bodypump instructor; I was bummed that after back to back workouts, drenched in sweat, I only had a short little flower. I think it must be for more impact sports like walking, running, etc; it seems to be mostly a pedometer, didn't really track my efforts in these lower impact activities. Sounds like the Fitbit Zip may be something different?
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also have a Zip. Love it! You have to decide which type of device you would prefer: wrist band (Flex or Force) or torso clip (One or Zip). The wrist band is nice because you can glance down at the display at any time more easily than if it's at your hip, but the torso clip is more discreet and won't crowd out your watch. I usually like to get the "top of the line" model of most gadgets, but I opted for the Zip, and am so happy with it. It doesn't measure sleep, but that's one of those things you didn't know you needed to measure until someone invented it. It also doesn't count stairs, but I don't care about that either, they still count as steps. The best part about the Zip for me is that you don't have to charge it regularly, taking it out of it's holder, being without it while it charges, etc. You just change the watch-type battery once every 3-4 months.

I don't know what you found complicated about it, but the Zip at least (I don't know about the other models) is the easiest thing ever. Just set up your account, wear it, peek at it periodically throughout the day, and you will absolutely be motivated to move more during the day, every day.

I wouldn't bother with the scale unless you are really interested in tracking your body fat %, etc., and the money isn't a big issue for you. Otherwise, just use your regular scale and enter it into MFP. In fact, I have a non wi-fi scale that measure body composition that was only $20-30. There is a place on the Fitbit website to enter your body fat percentage, if you want to keep track of that. The only advantage to the $100 one is the wi-fi so you don't have to enter it manually.
  • leftyjace
    leftyjace Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Best money I've ever spent in my life.

QFT

I had an ultra, and upgraded to a Force as my Christmas present to myself. I freakin' love this action.

SERIOUSLY... follow the advice of those in this thread... get one. You will love it and won't be sorry. The syncing stuff that you can do with MFP is awesome too. Seriously love it.
  • rioworld
    rioworld Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just got the fitbit flex for Christmas. I love mine.. and having my husband to compete against is fun. I like that I can log in MFP and then it logs into the fitbit app. No duplication but double the support. I highly recommend it..
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've heard the fitbit one is really good. I have a bodymedia. I honestly don't like wearing on my arm all day for the world to see, but I love seeing my activity, and knowing if I need to move more to meet my goal. I was able to see that I burned 3,000 calories the other day, and came close to that the following day. I had the core before, and it stopped working after 1 1/2 years, so I bought the link this time. Only thing I don't like is that it's bulkier than the other one. The bodymedia tracks all movement, and measures heat and moisture to gauge your calories burned. The fitbit one measures movement alone, but I've heard it's results are very similar to what I have. My reason for purchasing it, is that I was feeling hungry all the time. Some websites told me that my TDEE was really high, and MFP was giving me really low calorie goals. I was really curious to see exactly what I burned every day, and I was right, I really do burn a lot of calories. Especially when I do Zumba. Even when I don't do any "real" exercise, I still burn 2,300. That's a lazy day for me. ;)
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I've been considering it, but if it's just a pedometer, might skip - my main exercise is riding horses and bikes and fencing, I take it it wouldn't track that? For steps, I already have a good pedometer.
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had the Ultra for 1 years and then went down to the Zip for the water (sweat) resistant of it. The Zip has a replaceable battery that I wasn't too crazy about, the others (Ultra, One, Flex & Force) have a recharge ability. I now have the Force so I don't have to worry about removing it except when I quick charge it maybe every two weeks. Can be worn in the shower, just not swim with it. It's a great tool to keep track of your steps, activities, stairs climbed and sleep. Also has a silent vibrate alarm that you can set. It sync to my iPhone via Bluetooth and then sync's to MFP. Very easy to setup and sync and support is very good. You will enjoy it.