Im uneven :(

Options
So Ive always known my right side of my body is a little bigger than my left. Its never bothered me until now that I have started working out. There is a noticeable difference in the soreness of my legs when I am done on the elliptical/treadmill(my hubby measured there a half in. off). Infact, sometimes my right foot actually falls goes numb when I am on the eliptical and I get the tingly prickly feelings. It is frustrating, I do try and make up for my left leg not getting the same work out by using machines. Idk, has anyone else experienced this?
Any advice guys

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Go see a Chiro/osteo, you may need an adjustment.
  • asaffell
    asaffell Posts: 43 Member
    Options

This!
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options

This!
    Yes this!

I think I've read somewhere of others that do have one leg shorter than the other. You may ultimately need an orthopedic insert or something to help counter it.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Orthotics or an insole in your one shoe.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

This!
    Yes this!

I think I've read somewhere of others that do have one leg shorter than the other. You may ultimately need an orthopedic insert or something to help counter it.

I will third this, I have a 9mm wedge for my right shoe because my right leg is shorter than my left. Most of the time it is not bothersome but whenever I walk more than usual, faster than usual, or if I increase my exercise, if I forget my wedge my hips and lumbar spine remind me painfully for the next several days. Before I knew my leg lengths were different, I had the same problem on the elliptical specifically - painful pins-and-needles in my foot and I would also experience a LOT of muscle twitching in my longer leg especially at night. Not full on cramping but very annoying nonetheless.
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am uneven as well, and I wear orthotics to help with my leg length discrepancy as well as a condition contributed to by the discrepancy and extra bone in my foot. I'd go see an orthopedic doctor, physical therapist, and podiatrist. I strongly discourage the use of Five Fingers shoes because they do not provide support for the arch nor to they provide pronation control, which you may need. You need supportive shoes! Also, if your foot is still hurting try rolling it on a frozen bottle of water. There are stretches that you can do to help plantar fasciitis but I'd see the doctor to rule out a fracture first.

ETA: I find it strange that all of our right sides are shorter than the left!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    My right leg is shorter, too! Around an inch. I hate walking any long distance unless I wear a lift for that side, yeah.

We can choose between two heights, you know; just stand on the other leg :D

But OP, it really can be because of one side of the hips lower, etc. I think it's less common to have the actual leg be shorter, so do get it checked out before just getting a lift yourself.