Non-heart rate increasing exercises?

Options
I have been successful in losing weight by watching my diet alone. I would really like to begin exercising. However, I am limited as to what I can do. I have Meniere's disease, a vestibular disorder that causes vertigo, and it is aggravated when I increase my heart rate for a period of time. (No one looks good exercising when they are passed out on the floor because the room is spinning.)

Here is where I need your help...
1. What exercises do you know of that do not increase the heart rate?
2. Which of these have you tried that you have enjoyed?
3. Can I do this without going to a gym?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try walking with wrist or hand and ankle weights. Doesn't have to be grueling, just a nice short leisurely jaunt with a little extra resistance.

You could also try doing short strength training exercises. Like doing a couple sets of bicep curls, take a break and do something else, then do a couple sets of slow squats and take another break?
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You might want to ask your doctor for suggestions but I would think Yoga or maybe some Pilates exercises might work for you. There are DVDs out there that you could do from home. I would get a beginner one though so it isn't too cardio intensive.

Best wishes! :happy:
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love yoga; especially hatha yoga which is very gentle. What's really nice is that you work at your own pace - with slow movements. There is also focus on your breath and on clearing your mind. Its not aerobic. I work hard at it and do sweat, but there are lots in my class who are more gentle and do well.

Also what about swimming? Again you can vary your activity level, but its easier on your joints then many other exercises.

My other personal favourite is walking. Again you control the speed and time to keep your heart rate in check.

I hope that helps!
  • vlonghi
    vlonghi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    well... can your heart rate increase at all??.. because when you do any type of physical activity the heart rate tends to go up... i would suggest going on the eliptical and keeping your heart rate under 125... that way your not actualy doing a "cardio" activity but you are burning calories from fat. you need to do it for over 30 minutes for your to start burning calories from fat. Other that that maby just try walking. It's an easy way to burn calories and enjoy yourself ! :D
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    I believe Yoga, and Pilates would be your best bet, however it may be a great idea to invest in a HRM (heart rate monitor) depending on your fitness level I'm pretty sure that almost any type of consistent movement will give your heart rate a little jolt. However if you wore a heartrate monitor it would tell you what range to stay in & alert you if your heart rate is rising above your norm. There are many HRM out there but I use the Polar F6 and it's great. Best wishes
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Swimmig will get your heart rate up too much! I like the weight idea - a nice leisurely stroll in the morning and evening.
  • dancewithgiggi
    Options
    Bellydancing is good. Not too strenuous but good for strengthening core muscles. I'm not sure about swimming - swimming makes me want to pass out!

All forms of activity raise the heart rate to some degree, so starting at a beginner level is always best. Good luck.
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    Bob Green's " Eight week Total body Makeover" is a gentle exercise DVD that uses a fitness ball and 3 to 5 pound weights. On second thought not sure if they use fitness ball's, may use a chair, but I use the fitness ball, It's more comfortable I think.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Agree. Swimming's a terrible idea for you. Not only would you have to worry about not looking cute when you pass out, then you'd have to worry about drowning too. Really not cool.

Yoga or tai chi might be a couple good ones. When I was rehabbing my knee and shoulder (separate times), I had to do quite a few isometric exercises (basically flexing the muscles through simple movements or no movement at all). They can be done with varying degrees of intensity, so possibly little increase in heart rate.

The most important thing is to check with your doctor. He/she should be able to give you guidance.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you choose yoga, be careful with which one you do. I have the Jillian Michaels yoga DVD and it gets my heart rate up to about 160 or so on average. It's a great workout, though, and use that instead of Yoga X when I am doing P90X cause I can't do 90 minutes of yoga... :flowerforyou:
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you choose yoga, be careful with which one you do. I have the Jillian Michaels yoga DVD and it gets my heart rate up to about 160 or so on average. It's a great workout, though, and use that instead of Yoga X when I am doing P90X cause I can't do 90 minutes of yoga... :flowerforyou:

I agree. I have the "Yoga Meltdown" by Jillian Michaels and it is more cardio intensive than other yoga programs.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Try walking with wrist or hand and ankle weights. Doesn't have to be grueling, just a nice short leisurely jaunt with a little extra resistance.

This is a really bad idea as it's very hard on the joints and is very highly NOT recommended by most fitness instructors/doctors, mainly the ankle weights. Very very gentle yoga or light walks would be my recommendations.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You might want to ask your doctor for suggestions but I would think Yoga or maybe some Pilates exercises might work for you. There are DVDs out there that you could do from home. I would get a beginner one though so it isn't too cardio intensive.

Best wishes! :happy:

THIS!

Good suggestions! I remember doing Callinetics too, really toning but did not get me out of breath in the slightest - I am thinking perhaps Calllinetics is very similar to, if not the same, as Pilates?