Pasta

Options
Looking for recommendations for a low-carb pasta option and/or whole grain. I want to transition my family into a healthier option as they will not eat veggies, like myself, as "pasta" ;-) So....looking for best tasting/healthiest pasta..

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    quinoa or couscous....both are a grain and both are delicious and great substitute for those high carb pasta dishes
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Are you on a low carb diet? Because there is nothing wrong with pasta.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

this is true.

on occasion we use barilla's vegetable pasta just to get more vegetables in, but i dont know if they are low carb.

carbs are your friend!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a whole grain pasta, you could try a quinoa pasta or a 100%whole grain pasta.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This may not be what you are looking for but, I LOVE spaghetti squash with meatballs, or just in place of pasta.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Barilla plus pastas aren't bad for multi-grain. Not low carb, but high in protein and fiber.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree with Quinoa, but I use that more as a rice replacement. Have you tried "zucchini noodles". If my family is having regular pasta (I just use the 100% whole wheat or the Ronzoni high fiber pasta) I use these instead. Not on a low carb diet, just trying to get in more veggies when I can:)
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Dreamfields is awesome. It's regular durum semolina but the carbs are protected through a manufacturing process so only 5 carbs are digested. I get it at wal-mart and Kroger.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

this is true.

on occasion we use barilla's vegetable pasta just to get more vegetables in, but i dont know if they are low carb.

carbs are your friend!

yuuuuup.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    quinoa or couscous....both are a grain and both are delicious and great substitute for those high carb pasta dishes

Actually, couscous is pasta, and has pretty much the same number of carbs as spaghetti and other pastas -- not surprising, since couscous and other pasta are made from wheat and not much else.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I prefer to get my carbs from sources other than grain/flour, and I love zucchini noodles. I make them in my spiraliser :)

Just re-read that they won't eat vegies as pasta. There isn't really a lower carb version - you could try slim pasta, but I think that's slimy, squishy and nothing like real pasta
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini for pasta sometimes. Some people use spaghetti squash. Zucchini is less cals. Just slice it thin lon ways, then slice it thin long ways again and you get "noodles" and just boil them 1-2 mins and they are ready to go
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I use my julienne slicer to make "spaghetti" noodles out of zucchini. Then I just saute them up a little to soften and it is wonderful. My dad is not exactly a vegetable guy (neither is my husband for that matter), but I mixed some with regular spaghetti while he was visiting and he never knew the difference. Just make sure that you've peeled them so they're all whitish looking. I've also used thin zucchini peels as ravioli wrappers and they were great too. I've also started making my own sauce to sneak some more veggies into my husband's diet. Alfredo sauce made mostly from cauliflower, homemade marinara with lots of carrots, butternut squash in mac and cheese, etc. I don't have kids, but I'm sure it'll work the same way as it does on husbands.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about pasta? People in Italy eat quite a bit of pasta, and they happen to be pretty healthy.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I've been buying Wal-Mart's Great Value brand whole wheat penne pasta.
  • 1happydogg
    Options
    I use broccoli slaw. I know it's a vegetable but when microwaved for about 5-6 minutes with about 2 tablespoons of water it has almost the same consistency as spaghetti and picks up the flavor of whatever sauce you use. It's a favorite for me as a substitute. :tongue:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Actually, couscous is pasta, and has pretty much the same number of carbs as spaghetti and other pastas -- not surprising, since couscous and other pasta are made from wheat and not much else.

True. Couscous is made from a grain. The same grain that pasta is made from.. wheat. Quinoa is not a grain at all, it's a seed from a grain crop.