too generous?

Options
MFP has set my calorie goal for weight loss at 2410 calories daily. I registered my activity level as active since I work on my feet 8 hour work days, gym at least 4 days a week, and work in random walks when available. Im not too familiar with this, but it seems that a goal of 2410 is a bit generous for weight loss, especially since 2500 is considered the norm for most men. I try to stay under 2000 rehuardless. Thoughts?

Replies

• size10wannabe85
    Options
    I felt my MFP was a bit low..

Have a look at this site it will work out what you should be on:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    most men dont work on their feet for 8 hours either but it is possible that you overestimated your calories.

how much are you eating now?
  • wumba84
    wumba84 Posts: 14
    Options
    I felt my MFP was a bit low..

Have a look at this site it will work out what you should be on:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Right now, im eating about 1600 a day. I go over sometimes but have mostly stayed under my goal.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    1600? That seems kind of low for your lifestyle. What is your weekly weight loss goal? Do you at least eat back your calories?

I'm a female and I was losing eating 1500-1740/day. I might be lightly active at work (I don't have a desk job) but I am never working out or at the gym. (I only walk.)
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm a female who has a deskjob who is losing on 1500 calories a day, for reference. 2500 for that lifestile does not seem crazy to me.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It actually sounds about right for you. I am on my feet all night (I work at night) and I have lost weight at 1900 calories a day. One of the best things I have learned on mfp is that you do not have to starve to lose weight! You are very active so your maintenance calories are probably close to 3000. Try the numbers mfp gives you for a month and if you are not losing, adjust them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just a few pointers:
    Your gym workouts are not part of your activity level - using MFP method you would be estimating your calorie burn and eating back those calories.
    Scoobys calculator is a TDEE calculator (includes exercise) so you need to keep that in mind when comparing numbers, MFP daily allowance plus exercise calories may well come out very close to Scoobys.
    1600 seems very, very low for a young and active man, what's the rush? Losing weight doesn't have to mean deprivation!

Without knowing your stats 2410 seems a reasonable number for your age and activity.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd say the number was about spot on.

Though note, that if you jump up to 2400 from your current levels of 1600 you may gain in the first week or so, so give it a month before you decide you're eating too much and go back down.
  • wumba84
    wumba84 Posts: 14
    Options
    Honestly, ive been averaging about 2000 per day the past two weeks. I eat a bit more some days than others basically to not feel deprived. So far results are good!