How Many Calories do you burn walking

Not sure how accurate my HRM is, took the dog for a quick 10 minute walk last night & it has calculated 511 calories burned. Don't think it's quite right somehow. I don't usually wear it for walking as i don't log it as exercise, but was gobsmacked when i saw this.

It has to be wrong :laugh:

Replies

• snowmathrun
    snowmathrun Posts: 1 Member
    Definitely not correct. Do you have the correct settings? I have a polar FT4 monitor I use for walking. I run 3x/week, walk 4x/week. I'm 5'5" and weigh 138. Typically, walking at 9.0 incline @ 3.5 for an hour burns 600-650 for me (my heart rate is between 150 and 160). If you went on a walk outside, there's much less of an incline, so it should be much less. Make sure you have maximum heart rate, weight, age, and height correct in your HRM.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    A broad estimate that's easy to remember is around 100 cals burned per mile walked.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Look for an online calculator that not only figures time & distance, but also your weight. Someone who weighs more is going to burn more calories for the same distance/time, than someone who weighs less.

Here's one where you can enter....time, distance, your weight, & walking surface. The more things they factor in...like incline, for example, the more accurate it'll be.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    I have tried different apps and found that Mapmyrun has been my favorite, it also lists a huge amount of exercises on their database including all types of dvd workouts.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    HRM dont really work for low intensity cardio. It seems you have a setting wrong on it though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    A broad estimate that's easy to remember is around 100 cals burned per mile walked.

If you weighed over 300 lbs..........

If you're interested in net calories expended (ie additional calories burned directly attributable to the exercise) Runners World suggest the following formula.

.30 x your weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles)

For running it's .63 x your weight 9in lbs) x distance (in miles)
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    I think it's too much. I burn around 200 calories with cardio for 30 minutes. Maybe your settings are wrong?
  • kungfujohn15
    kungfujohn15 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I have an app call runtastic. I use it all the time for walking my dog. Seems to be quite accurate when cross referencing against online calculators.
    It calculates distance and speed by gps and works out your cals.
    It downloads the results straight to myfitnesspal too.......

Works for me........
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    HRM dont really work for low intensity cardio. It seems you have a setting wrong on it though.
    This.

You might want to check if your HRM subtracts the calories you would normally burn just from regular body functions. I know my older Polar doesn't and you have to do it yourself.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I use Endomondo when I walk my dog. Our average walk is about 15 minutes, at a pace between 2.5 & 3 mph, and I rarely get over 100 calories. It also links with MFP.