I can't reach my Cals goal... any advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Increase fats: 1tbs olive oil is like 115Calories so add it to salads etc...
    peanut butter
    nuts and seeds
    Beef as a protein source
    cheeses
    Don't eat low-fat products . They literally just higher carbs and lower calories

It should be extremely easy to eat 1200cals a day . Eat more

^^ agreed. Also, since you have a post workout shake you might consider adding a scoop of protein powder to the yogurt and fruit. It will add some calories and some protein to your daily intake.
  • trinity5703
    Options
    An ounce of walnuts or almonds as a snack during the day or a bit of cheese (I pack an ounce or two of gouda for work)
    I skip the low cal yogurt, there really isnt much difference.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I must be a cow or something, because I have my calories set for 1300/day and I almost always go over. but I do a bit of exercising too (mostly walking) so it's okay.

moo.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I must be a cow or something, because I have my calories set for 1300/day and I almost always go over. but I do a bit of exercising too (mostly walking) so it's okay.

moo.

Ive got mine set for 1450 so I try to stay between 1400-1500 a day if im being more active sometimes I eat back those exercise cals
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

since i'm eating healthy, i've planned meals. In the morning i usually eat a fruit and vegetable smoothie with a yogurt. lunch i eat 2 slices of whole wheat bread and one egg plus some vegetables. Dinner i usually eats a medium-large sweet potato with fish or turkey, plus vegetables. For the snacks i've my post work out smoothie which is a yogurt and some fruits. I also eat carrots, fruits, nuts, ... In general a lot of fruit and vegetables (because i've discovered i like those).
    I weight everything i eat, if the product isn't in the database here i add it,...

thanks very much for the advice^^

+Add 1/2 avocado to your afternoon smoothie. Or some peanut butter or nut butter.

+Peanut butter on your lunchtime bread. Butter, even, is okay. Ranch dip (or your favorite dressing) with your vegetables. Those fats aren't all bad for you; measure out 2 Tb and enjoy.

+Cheese on your steamed/cooked vegetables (grate it and sprinkle over the top). Fattier types of fish; red meat isn't bad for you, try having beef 1-2 times a week (it tends to have a bit higher fat, but if you struggle to get to 1200 calories you can afford it)

+Indulge in a serving of ice cream once in a while if you like it (measured out, of course). Or if you can keep yourself in moderation, bake cookies (I have a great recipe if you want it) and enjoy 1 a day. Yes, they are what's typically called "junk food" but it's okay to have a bit.

Just a few ideas, hope something here helps you :smile:
  • kimchi989
    Options
    are you counting your coffee and creamer? or any other drinks that have calories in them? That should help

I only drink tea without sugar or milk (i love pure green tea), and water. I don't like sugary drinks or soda. I should maybe try fruit juices...
  • kimchi989
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your advice^^ sorry i don't answer personally to each and everyone of you (just lacking time^^)

Some advice avocado, the thing is: where i live it's really hard to find, and when you get some, it's a "luxury" food (quiet expensive). But i can splurge evey once in a while :)

thank you very much again^^
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    How did you get to be overweight when you can't even eat 1200 calories?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! Or almond butter. Nutella. Get a spoon and get busy! :smile:
  • kimchi989
    Options
    How did you get to be overweight when you can't even eat 1200 calories?

simple: i used to eat very few but very bad. I think the fried snacks and french fries i'd take were about 1200 Cals, in one meal. Most the time that was my only meal of the day. So the difficulty for me is eating throughout the day. But i'm getting there slowly^^
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP, MFP databases can be very inaccurate. I find it hard to believe that given the list of food you're eating you're not getting to 1200.

i routinely find stuff in the database that's 10-20% different than what's either listed on a restaurant website or on the back of a package. i also recently found something that was a full 600 calories less than what it is in real life (300 calories vs 900). if you arent hungry and not dropping weight like crazy then i'd bet that you're eating more than you think you are