Should I be doing weight training?

Options
I have just started out and I have a signifigant amount to lose. I've joined a gym and started weight training. I have a friend who keeps berating me for doing this. He tells me that women shouldn't weight train because they'll get big muscles. He says I will regret doing this because I will never be able to go back. Plus weight training won't help my lose weight anyway.

I would like to know what others think about this and what other ladies have experienced with weight training.

Thanks

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're friend is an inconsolable idiot who knows nothing. Ignore him.

Keep weight training.

Almost every answer in life is solved by MORE SQUATS
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lifting does not make you big. You need testosterone for that. All you will get are "newbie gains". You will preserve your lean muscle while losing with lifting.

Look around the forums there are plenty of examples of this.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    He is a complete moron. Keep lifting weights... you will NOT get big.
  • nehmon
    nehmon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ignore your friend and just take the advice the ladies giving you here :-)
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Keep weight training. I lost a lot of weight and didn't lift as much as I feel I should have and now I'm trying to build more muscle. I believe that by weight training while you lose, you'll see nice muscles emerge as you lose the fat, but I highly doubt you'll get large bulking muscles. Women just generally don't have enough testosterone for that, as an earlier poster pointed out. Good luck to you!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

Keep weight training.

100% THIS^^^^
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    you need to lift weights. Your friend is wrong. Lifting weights helps you to maintain the muscle that you have by essentially telling your body "hey you need these muscles so keep them."

Not to mention that weight training burns more calories then cardio anyway.

Watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nax9C-XMlVg
  • gmhaggie06
    Options
    wonderful advice in this thread, the hulking behemoths you see have gotten there due to use of testosterone supplements, NOT by lifting progressively heavier weight. LIFT!!!!
  • khop18
    khop18 Posts: 6
    Options
    You will not get big. It takes considerable effort to gain mass as a women, and most of the time a very specific nutritional plan/supplements. It will not happen by accident. Strength training is essential for weight loss! Keep on lifting!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Should I be weight training

Yes.

(I didn't bother reading the OP. Because blah blah blah the answer is always YES)
  • apot8002
    apot8002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently started going to the gym with my bf. He is the most motivational person i have ever met. Doing weight training will not make you big unless you want to become big. Light weights, high reps. Go atleast 3 times a week and in 3 months time i will garentee you will see change. Protein is the key, eat plenty protein high foods and reduce your carb intake.

What i do when i go to the gym is start with Cardio. 5mins treadmill, 5mins Ski machine and 5mins cycle machine. All at high intensity to get a sweat on and the heart pumping!

Then go onto weights. Dont push yourself to hard if your starting out, light weights, then progress on to heavier when you feel ready.

Weight training is brilliant if you wanna loose weight. Muscle burns fat ;)
  • apot8002
    apot8002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently started going to the gym with my bf. He is the most motivational person i have ever met. Doing weight training will not make you big unless you want to become big. Light weights, high reps. Go atleast 3 times a week and in 3 months time i will garentee you will see change. Protein is the key, eat plenty protein high foods and reduce your carb intake.

What i do when i go to the gym is start with Cardio. 5mins treadmill, 5mins Ski machine and 5mins cycle machine. All at high intensity to get a sweat on and the heart pumping!

Then go onto weights. Dont push yourself to hard if your starting out, light weights, then progress on to heavier when you feel ready.

Weight training is brilliant if you wanna loose weight. Muscle burns fat ;)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The person who told you that is not your friend.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Keep weight training.

^^ this
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Does your friend even lift?
    Didn't think so.

Go lift, you'll not be sorry.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Seriously, go read this thread, it will destroy that misperception. mikejholmes, thanks for posting it, I wanted to also but had no idea how to find.

On the youtube video--thought that the "1 lb of muscles burns an extra 50 calories per day" had been debunked?
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your friend.

My profile picture show the before weights and after weights results.