Frustrated w/Chronic Pain; Hard to Exercise

Options
I became chubby as a teen. When I hit college, however, I was successful in getting my weight under control by eating & living like one of my room mates. My weight has gone up and down over the years for various reasons (for example, pregnancy), but I've always been able to get it back down. Til now, that is. In 2006/2007, I had 2 surgeries + a laproscopic procedure in less than a year's time, and as a result, I live with chronic pain. Sometimes it is quite severe.

I have a beautiful bike I got for Christmas in 2005 that I only got to ride 3 times b4 I fell ill. I used to walk, hike, bike, loved canoes, etc and kept my weight at a tidy 108 lbs for years. After being a chubby gal in high school, I enjoyed a "normal" life for most of my adult life. Now I'm frustrated. I read MFP daily and cannot do what so many of you are doing to work off the weight. If I walk 2 miles in my neighborhood, I'm beat. It just hurts so damn bad!!:frown: What many of you are learning is what I learned: being fit can be fun!!

I know no one can fix this, and I am grateful that my pain is not life threatening. I truly do try to keep it all in proper perspective. I am HERE and thank God for this gift of life. That said, grrr......:grumble:

Okay, whine over. Back to reading your inspiring, funny, sad, etc posts that keep me going. Bless you all :heart:

Replies

• AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I too live with alot of pain.....so I have managed to lose and maintain my weight loss on calorie monitring alone....who would have thought you can lose weight without excersise:? I keep my calories at 1200 every day but I do I have the occasional "bad" day as well...for the last 2 years it has worked wonders...I lost 125 pounds and have kept it off......good luck to you!
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming? It's low impact so it tends not to hurt as much. I'm battling arthritis in my left knee and it helped me a lot initially when I started trying to lose. Keep up what you're doing! It gets easier.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have chronic back pain which has gotten a lot better after getting a stronger core. It had to work through some pain though to get there. And it's not gone, but a lot better. Don't know where yours is, but you may be able to strengthen surrounding muscles to help it hurt less.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain as well that I manage through holistic practices. If you are more specific with me, perhaps I can help.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    You poor thing! I'm so sorry. Coming from someone who also suffers with chronic pain, I do understand. It makes working out so hard! There were days where my goal was 10 minutes and even that would end up being impossible.

I think I had to get things out of my mind as far as unrealistic expectations. What I wanted to do to work out and could do were two completely different things. I had all of these dreams of doing exercises I had done in the past (my second job was at a gym when I was 17 & 18) and then I was so let down when I could walk on a treadmill for the length of time I wanted to. Its so disappointing. :o(

The surgeries...oh hunny I so understand. This past September alone I had 3. Its so hard to balance the emotional and physical aspect of being in chronic pain. Unless someone else has experienced it, they truly don't understand either! For the past three - five years I've had multiple multiple surgeries for different reasons. But I've been left with chronic pain. This past September's bout did something to me though. It left me determined to reach somewhere inside and gain what little control I have and push past. Its not always possible. Believe me. I've found I have to do something EVERY day if I want to do anything at all. I have bad days. Last week I had two. We'll see how this week goes! LOL! Its a day by day thing.

Zumba has been very easy on my system. I tend to do it on day that the pain is bad. I can make it as hard or easy as I want. Walking is another thing. At least I am moving. And finally, my age old go to is my 10 minute solution dvds. 10 minutes at a time. At least I did something! I can do one ten minute set of whichever topic I choose (kickboxing, cardio, yoga, pilates and more) or add another 10 minute set on!

I'm here if you want to chat hunny. I understand being in pain even if its not exactly the pain you are in. :o) Praying for you! :o)
    Tara
  • migrvi
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was a walker for years, built up to 4 miles a day, 6 days a week during the summer and 4 miles a day on weekends during the school year. (i work for the school district) It made me feel so good. Then I started having foot problems which led to two different surgeries. One to remove a neuroma on my left foot, then another to scrape some bone from the bottom of my left foot and put two pins in my toes. Then I found out I have arthritis and grinding bones in my right ankle. Even swimming and bike riding aggravate my right ankle. I don't know what to do short of chair aerobics and I am only 52. I will try to eat healthier to see if that helps. It feels good to unload. LOL
  • travindra
    travindra Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear abt the pain. I too have RA but some recent diet changes I have made have really helped reduce the pain. I have switched to eating more fresh fuits and veggies, and also decreased eating processed food (anything that comes in any sort of packaging) drastically.
    I could not believe how much it changed my life!
    Anyways, I do hope your pain levels decrease...
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Guess we need to start our own group! I am sorry to find so many of you living with severe, chronic pain. I am happy for my friends who have gone on to running 5Ks, triathalons, etc, but i will never be able to do anything like couch to 5K. and i am an excellent weather barometer--beat the local weather guys on tv hands down everytime! and this is my worst season of the year.

Water therapy helps, but my budget took a hit and i have had to cancel the gym. there is no local indoor pool nearby. i walk and pay the price on bad days but keep moving. i have days i am partially immobilized or reactions to meds and have regular meetings with my pharmacist for med reviews and lab work. i focus on what i can do and fight not to cocoon during colder weather.

i applaud all of you for trying and found comfort in the responses to the original post since it is hard to put into words how i feel knowing i will never again be able to run and am actually headed in the other direction but still fighting. Bless you all!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for the kind words, and to those of you who suffer w/your own medical issues, a great big compassionate hug to you.
  • thecrimsonking1319
    Options
    I soooo know what you mean. I have a brand new pink banana seat bicycle that I've only used a couple of times. I miss being able to walk, ride, and just do the day to day things that need to be done. I'd like to think there's a light at the end of the tunnel. It's just so frustrating that there are people that want to exercise but can't and there are people that can but won't.
  • jeip14
    Options
    It is always awful to hear about other people dealing with chronic pain, but at the same time it is always kind of nice knowing that I'm not going at it alone. I've only had pain for two and a half years, but some days it seems like much longer! I actually went through a pain rehabilitation program at the Mayo Clinic, which I highly recommend if you can get there. I am more than happy to talk about it with anyone, especially as I went from being on fentanyl to being on NOTHING. No pain meds! Anyway, one of the big things they stressed is trying to move, even on your difficult days. It doesn't have to be a lot, just stretching and walking as much as you can. As I said, I'm more than happy to talk if you ever need a support buddy, because boy do I know how hard it is to get moving on those tough days!