If every day were like this...

Hi Everyone,

First post here, love MFP, it's made watching what I eat a piece of cake (pun fully intended) and all...

First some numbers:

I'm 5'11, I started using the app at 272 lbs and I've dropped 8 lbs but it's just been going up & down for the last 2 weeks...265, 263, 262, 264, the lowest has been 261.something but I think I'm on a plateau or something. I respect my calorie limits and all but I want to bust through and leave the 260's altogether.

I'm not looking for any quick fix here: if I were to steadily lose 250 grams per month, i'd be happy with that as long as progression is occurring.

What bugs the hell out of me right now is that when I finish logging, if the app was right, I'd be weighing in the 240's by now...

What am I not doing right ?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    well your diary isn't open but I suspect you aren't weighing your food.

A food scale ensures you are logging accurately.

When I first came here I was eating what I thought was my calorie limit too...I should have been losing 1lb a week instead it was 1/2 a lb, I bought a decent digital scale...

BAM 3.5lbs in 3 weeks...never looked back

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

This was very eye opening...esp the youtube video.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    well your diary isn't open but I suspect you aren't weighing your food.

A food scale ensures you are logging accurately.

When I first came here I was eating what I thought was my calorie limit too...I should have been losing 1lb a week instead it was 1/2 a lb, I bought a decent digital scale...

BAM 3.5lbs in 3 weeks...never looked back

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

This was very eye opening...esp the youtube video.

This.

You could also be overestimating calories burned during activity.

Open your diary for more useful feedback.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member

What bugs the hell out of me right now is that when I finish logging, if the app was right, I'd be weighing in the 240's by now...

That's my biggest gripe too! I wish I had an answer for you - but my weight hasn't gone down in months and I've never met their '5-week' projection. Liars!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Some people exceed the projection and others don't hit it. Honestly, I can't remember the projections they give long enough to know whether I hit or not. At the end of the day, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.
  • Abliture
    Abliture Posts: 9 Member
    1. The first place to start is with calories in calories out. It can be difficult to tract every calorie you eat, especially if you're new to doing it.

Have you eaten any fast food in the last month?
    All fast food is different and oft times is not the amount of calories it says that it is. Ex. Burger boy glops more sauce than usual on your food etc.. It's never hurts to over estimate.

What method have you used to calculate your exercise expenditure (if exercising)?
    This is crucial in calorie counting. The machines are wrong that you use in the gym, they should only be used as a reference. A good way of doing it is cutting everything down by 50%. Ex. It says you burn 100 calories on the treadmill, dumb it down to 50.

Do you weigh your food (If not, it is almost indefinite that's the biggest answer to why your not losing to your calculations)?
    This is the biggest one for most people. Weighing food is absolutely critical. You have to weigh your food if calorie counting. There is no other way to correctly estimate your daily caloric values. I can give you a review on my food scale if you don't already have one.