low carb or low calorie?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been on and off a low carb diet for a few months now, even though I have lost a little bit of weight my cravings for bread and pasta are crazy and I am running out of low carb ideas for lunch and dinner.

what are your opinions on low carb diets and do you think that just eating healthily and sticking to my reccommended calorie intake will do the trick?

Replies

• CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want in moderation. If you go into a diet knowing you won't do it long term, it's just setting you up for failure.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just stick to my recommended calorie intake. I don't believe that I could sustain low carb for any extended period of time, but just watching calories gives room for the things that I crave if I plan and they fit my macros.
  • YorkshirePanda
    YorkshirePanda Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs last year without giving up a single thing except butter and cheese. I gained it all back when I got lazy, but it was definite loss.. I suggest, if you want a permanent result, never give up something you love to get it and just work it into your life. Because as soon as you start eating it again you're going to gain weight back and that's never good for self-esteem or motivation.

I find just finding a way to keep all my numbers on here in the green whilst still eating what I love works best for me, personally :).
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I tried the low carb diet for about a month towards the end of last year and lived in a funk for that time. Since I switched back to about equal parts protein to carb I feel more energetic and not so sluggish. Just my experience.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the previous posters. What a wise bunch on MFP.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Unless you can do low-carb long-term, I'd say don't bother. You need to find something you can do for the longer-term. Eat for health and sustainability.

That said, for me, low-carb is the way to go. I still fall within my calories, but eating higher fat/lower carb keeps me satiated and lets me lose effortlessly.
    When I eat lower-fat and higher carb, I find I'm always hungry so as soon as I stop tracking and eat naturally, I gain the weight back because my body doesn't tell me to stop eating like it does with low-carb.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Switch..
    One day do low carbs, the next do high carbs.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The reason low-carb diets tend to work (at least short term) is because the extra protein keeps people full longer, so they automatically eat fewer calories.

To lose weight you have to eat at a calorie deficit, no exceptions. If you eat at your TDEE you will maintain, no matter if those calories come from carbs, proteins, or fats, if you eat above your TDEE you will gain, no matter if those calories come from carbs, proteins, or fats, if you eat below your TDEE you will lose, no matter if those calories come from carbs, proteins, or fats.

You will find that simply ensuring that you get enough protein, without actively limiting carbs, and staying at a deficit, works and is more sustainable than extremely low carb diets.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing a low carb diet?

You don't honestly believe that will cause weight loss do you? All that will do is drop water weight.

To lose FAT you need to eat at a maintenance calories deficit. for 1lb. a week, take away 500 calories off of your MAINTENANCE.

Unless you do shows, you don't need to go low carb, ever. But, don't be surprised if you start eating carbs again and your weight goes up a few lbs. from glycogen refilling your muscles (it's only water, don't worry... it will go back to normal).

I even say do IIFYM.
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Do you go on low carb and high fat, or just cutting the carbs?
  • ellet123
    ellet123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    just cutting the carbs
  • cog62
    cog62 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. I choose to use calorie counting and honest food journaling on MFP. I do try to choose healthier food options and avoid simple carbs when possible. I try to eat lots of fruit and veggies and enjoy smaller portions of whole grains. I save sweets for special occasions, birthdays and holidays. I also started strength training and doing cardio most days of the week.
  • fmvasquez
    Options
    Mix it up. I found my body gets comfortable if I do the same thing everyday and then don't loose anything. I do low carb and high carb days with the calorie intake staying relatively the same unless I need the extra energy. Food=energy. High carb days help me stay on track with those cravings.

So an example of my macros and micros on a Low carb day would be 1450 cal, 75 carbs, 39g fat, 200g protein.
    On High Carb it will be 1450 cal, 180 carbs, 24g fat,130 protein.
    This helps my body not get used to what I am doing and keeps things interesting. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change..................

After you have lost the weight, then what? Will you be doing low(er) carbs for life? If you have a medical issue re: carbs, then low carb is a good choice.

Keeping weight OFF is hard work unless you have a strategy in place. Face it, after the weight is gone you can't go back to eating the same way you did BEFORE weight loss.

Eat the same way you intend to eat in the future (just smaller portions for now).
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I tend towards low carb because as someone else mentioned earlier, it is so much easier to keep my calories is check when I am eating more protein and fat. I definitely watch calories but I don't have cravings and feel the deprivation much at all compared to when I am eating more carbs and less fat. Bottom line calories count but so does satiety.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about low carb. When you cut carbs, you do lose some water weight early on but then you even out just like any other diet. Low carb relies on the same principle as any other diet to work...less calories.

This is all science...you consume less calories than you require to maintain your weight and your body has to dip into fat stores (and muscle) to make up the energy deficit. When people cut carbs, they also inadvertently cut a lot of calories due to the fact that many carbohydrates like breads, grains, pastas, legumes, etc are very calorie dense.

Personally, I think low carbs suck...I'm very active and cutting carbs pretty much leaves me nothing in the tank. I couldn't imagine training for a triathlon or century ride on low carbs.

I eat all the carbs and easily lost 40 Lbs. I eat a balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense foods...but I don't give my carbs a second thought. So long as I'm hitting my protein, fat, and calorie goals it's all good.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Some of this is what others have already said, but here's my opinion.

Figure out a reasonable calorie goal for your current weight and your weight and fitness goals. Then, figure out how much protein and fat you need every day at a minimum. Here is an excellent guide to get you started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Once you have done that, do whatever you like with the "rest" of your calories after protein and fat goals have been met. If eating low carb is a sustainable, enjoyable way of eating that you can do long term and you feel best helps you achieve your weight and training goals, then do that. If eating ALL TEH CARBS with your calories over and above protein and fat minimums is what works best for you, then do that. Ultimately, beyond meeting some basic minimums in protein, fat, and micro-nutrients for maintaining health and muscle mass, the best way to eat while you're doing this is the way that get YOU to stick to the program. Period.
  • drepsallday
    Options
    I had the same question. Thanks to everyone for their amazing insight. I'm thinking about lowering my carb intake in addition to watching calories because I'm not losing weight quickly enough.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go on a low carb diet. The brain needs a certain amount of carbohydrate to function and that's minimally 130 grams. And I guess you could consider "low carb" as 130 grams or a little more a day, but that's a minimum. And I wouldn't keep to the minimum even when you want to lose weight.

I think the more you are on a low carb diet, the more you will crave "heavier" carbs, like bread, pasta, etc etc.

You're better off counting your calories, but it's also a good idea to keep your distribution fat, protein and carbohydrate at reasonable levels. Most people should have 45 to 65 % of their calories coming from carbohydrate and no more than 30% from fat. Usually 10-20% can be from protein. A lot of diabetics are put on carbohydrate controlled diets, which are usually not considered low carb. Usually they might be put on a diet that is 50-55% carb and eat maybe a set amount of carbs each meal.

If you're concerned about carbs, then you can log your calories into here and see what the distribution is. Maybe you don't want to go over 55% or something?

See what your calorie needs are and then subtract 250-500 depending on how much you want to lose. Your best bet is just making sure you are in your calorie range and being consistent with recording meals and exercises.

MFP will allow you to calculate your calories whether you want to maintain or lose.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    neither.
    high calorie and high carb
    omnomnom