can you build muscle using only bodyweight alone (females)

Options
Hi,

I have really gotten into pilates (including squats and other things too). I really like it and I would like to be able to see some muscle definition (biceps firm bum, and toned stomach) but I don't know if this is possible with bodyweight alone. I did have a gym membership to a place with weight machines/free weights but I'm not sure what I'm doing and to be honest I'm intimidated by the meatheads (sorry guys!). I have some small weights and resistance bands that I use at home and I'm thinking of getting a kettlebell, plus my housemate has a pull up bar which I can't manage yet, but is it possible as a girl to achieve light muscle gains with this limited equipment?

Replies

• Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!
    It´s a very nice kind of workout. With "Freeletics" you can gain muscle and tone.
    Love to do it by myself. You can do it at home, while in the park running.....and so on.
    Push Ups, Burpys...etc....
    It works as good as any gym!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yes
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    two things. dont confuse muscle definition with muscle gain, the two arent necessarily the same thing. just because you can see definition doesnt mean you created more muscle, it can be a factor of muscle pump and having less body fat.

second thing is that as a female it's extremely hard to build muscle. you will need to eat at a surplus AND progressively overload the muscle and do so consistently. you dont have to use machines to progressively overload the muscle. check out books like convict conditioning and you are your own gym.
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    Yes! If standard body weight exercises become too easy there are harder progressions. Look up My Certification coaches and master of PCC al kavadlo for exercise variations or ask me for advice! :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is very much possible, there are lots of ways to make body weight moves more challenging.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. The only exercise I do is yoga and I have quite a lot of muscle mass (AND definition) in my arms, legs, back, shoulders, and chest. More than I had as a swimmer, actually. The stomach, well, not so much. But hey, the rest is ripped. ;) I don't touch weights or use any special equipment aside from my own body.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    two things. dont confuse muscle definition with muscle gain, the two arent necessarily the same thing. just because you can see definition doesnt mean you created more muscle, it can be a factor of muscle pump and having less body fat.

second thing is that as a female it's extremely hard to build muscle. you will need to eat at a surplus AND progressively overload the muscle and do so consistently. you dont have to use machines to progressively overload the muscle. check out books like convict conditioning and you are your own gym.

this.

ultimately the answer is YES. But the answer you may be looking for is- less body fat will = more definition.

Building on body weight is HARD- but it's do-able.
  • irNathaniel
    irNathaniel Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    if you start from lifting nothing, this will build your muscle quick.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If you take a look my profile pictures, the yellow wall ones were taken the day before I started Mark Lauren's at home strength training program, as laid out in his book Body By You. It's a body weight program-3 days a week/30 minutes a time and you don't use any equipment.

I took new pictures this morning (tan wall), and I'm about 6 weeks into it. My weight is the same in both pictures (119.5lbs). It's hard to see clearly, but I can definitely see better muscle definition in my arms, back and then a bit of definition in my stomach. But, I don't think I've gained muscle necessarily, just the definition is starting to show through. Regardless of if it's muscle growth or not, I'm starting to look pretty good :bigsmile:
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    second thing is that as a female it's extremely hard to build muscle.

I hate this generalization. It's not true at all. It's as varied for women as it is for men, and I hate it when women use their gender as an excuse to not lift. I and my sister both have fantastic genetics for packing on muscle(she's an amateur bodybuilder; I just like to work out). I think most women give up on trying before they start to show results. My beginner gains were unbelievable, which I know is uncommon. When I first started doing bench presses, I doubled my one rep max from where I started in less than three months.

The problem with building muscle using bodyweight is that I for one(and probably a lot of other people) do not yet have the strength to do some of the best bodyweight exercises like chin-ups. I'd love to, but I can't, so I have to use free weights to make up for what I currently lack in ability.

Edit: I'm wondering what you mean when you say you have "small weights". If it's something your great grandma could lift(as it seems to be with most women...), you're far better off doing bodyweight work.
    BTW, the "meatheads" are either really nice or just leave me alone when I venture out of my home gym. Often, I'm lifting more or using better form than they are.

Yeah, don't be scared of these guys. Really, they can appreciate the fact that you're trying and they will leave you alone. They're also generally good for pointers if you want to know if you're doing something right or want to know how to do something. They seriously won't make you feel stupid, I swear.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a 'just' a generalization.

it's true. Women do not build muscle like men do. (and since we only ever compare ourselves to men- that's the point and fact of it)

YES- some people do it more easily than others. My best friend- lean- always has been always will be- she gets SUPER cut- all the time. I just get big.

Not an issue- we both happen to like how that works for us-but her body develops muscle MUCH much more slowly than mine.

it's not that it's not true- because it IS true- it's just it's relatively easier for some people than others- but it's still harder for men.

Also- I'm sure as your sister can validate this- newb gains are one thing- but once you hit a certain point- you have to work incredibly hard- and for women it's just that much harder than men- to break into a true- none newb gainer muscle building arena (*not strength- size- pure mass)

And YES I absolutely agree- I feel like many many women use their gender as a crutch A LOT for strength/mass gains. But the reality is- it's harder to build muscle for women than it is for men.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a 'just' a generalization.

it's true. Women do not build muscle like men do. (and since we only ever compare ourselves to men- that's the point and fact of it)

YES- some people do it more easily than others. My best friend- lean- always has been always will be- she gets SUPER cut- all the time. I just get big.

Not an issue- we both happen to like how that works for us-but her body develops muscle MUCH much more slowly than mine.

it's not that it's not true- because it IS true- it's just it's relatively easier for some people than others- but it's still harder for men.

Also- I'm sure as your sister can validate this- newb gains are one thing- but once you hit a certain point- you have to work incredibly hard- and for women it's just that much harder than men- to break into a true- none newb gainer muscle building arena (*not strength- size- pure mass)

And YES I absolutely agree- I feel like many many women use their gender as a crutch A LOT for strength/mass gains. But the reality is- it's harder to build muscle for women than it is for men.
    Yep.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

^ This. For more information, you should read New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great resource.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    One more thing--you may find worth in these bodyweight programs, but if you ever want to try weight training, consider it. It's amazing how strong you can become and the satisfaction of lifting heavy weight. You might like it too. BTW, the "meatheads" are either really nice or just leave me alone when I venture out of my home gym. Often, I'm lifting more or using better form than they are.

See if your gym will give you a tour of the machines, or even an intro session with a trainer. No reason not to have an extra tool in your arsenal.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I have had a tour of the machines and I can do them just fine, but my ex-housemate was a PT and she said (a while back) that they're not really as good as free weights or yanno, the other bits and bobs that lie around the gym because the non-machine free-standing stuff works more muscle groups. I am happy to go back and use them one day, though! I really don't enjoy cardio so much (I have asthma so I much prefer getting sweaty to getting out of breath) so I'm just happy I've found something I love (e.g. Pilates).

Additionally, a lot of my friends do Pole Dancing (and only once a week, too!) and some of them are pretty ripped and that's just body-weight stuff, so I guess it must be possible...I just needed reassurance that you can do it without a pole :P
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yes! If standard body weight exercises become too easy there are harder progressions. Look up My Certification coaches and master of PCC al kavadlo for exercise variations or ask me for advice! :)

Al Kavadlo is the man! love calisthetic kings workouts too (not that I can do any of them, just super impressed by them! LOL)
  • luisfgil
    luisfgil Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you tried Freeletics? It's a bodyweight and pull-up bar only program. They have a free app that includes four of the workouts. I'm on week 5 of the program and have leaned up quite a bit while increasing strength and endurance. I have all of the workouts downloaded so let me know if you're interested and I'll email them to you.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it depends on the woman, genetics and workout intensity. when i first started working out heavy at the gym i started developing muscle pretty fast, and kept developing it.

years later ( a couple months ago), i started working out, and have already seen improvements in strength and visible muscle. in fact, i love my calves, but my biceps are beginning to have minor peaks again :D

and yes, you can build muscle using bodyweight.
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    For sure you can! TRX, Pilates, and Yoga all use your own body weight to build muscle. Even beach bodys new program PIYO proves it.