strength training doesnt show the number of calories burned

Options
2»

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you really want to figure out a close calorie count, you can use this

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

I used to do that, but now I just let my BM Link track crap. I understand Lifting isn't where the calories are burnt, it's the continuing burn after, that's what I aim for (IE: i do cardio after or on my off days).
  • suburbanator
    suburbanator Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey... I don't count my weight lifting towards my cals, however I use a bodymedia link device and it does register "moderate" and "Vigorous" activity during my workout, it reports anywhere from 250-450 calories burned depending what I am doing, for some reason a heavy legs or back day with squats etc seems to trigger the most.

I don't log the strength training cals mainly because I use that to offset any inaccuracies in my food logging (Ie: measurements).... I figure it all balances out in the end and am on track so far.

Chad
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    strength training burns more calories.

No it doesn't.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when you record your exercises in the cardio section it shows calories burned but in the strength training section it doesnt. But strength training burns more calories. It only shows reps and sets. How do i record calories for strength training?

Not exactly answering your question, but IMO, if you want to burn calories, do cardio work and log the cals. If you want to change how you look or get stronger, lift and focus on technique and consistency, not calorie burns.

JMO.

I am always amused by this line of logic, after watching all the folks at the gym with their carefully calculated pre & post workout drinks, designed to get the body the calories it needs. By your line of thinking, those are not needed in any way, and that all those professional body builders, power lifters, football players, etc, are wrong in thinking that strength training burns calories?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Numerous studies have shown that resistance training elevates caloric burn for five to six hours after leaving the gym, whereas pure cardio workouts show a return to normal calorie burn rates within 30 minutes of leaving the gym.
    Upto 39 hours or so I think - so very hard to properly work out and without being hooked up to a machine analysing your breath every hour, you're not going to get even close, I suspect.

So, I wouldn't worry about it too much :).
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The only thing I will add to this is that if you are strength training for 3+ days/week you may want to change your activity level from sedentary to light active to account for them that way. As lifting will require energy, some burned during, most from the 24-48 hours following. This will give you a few extra cals for that reason, and when in a deficit will provide a little more energy for your lifting sessions.
    +1
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    What I like doing is using the TDEE - X% option for strength training (search the forums for "in place of a road map" if you don't know what that means). You eat the same number of calories every day whether you train or not, and exercise is already counted in your calorie goals for the day so there is no "eating back" exercise calories using this method since you are already eating them.

I think it makes it a lot simpler for weight training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when you record your exercises in the cardio section it shows calories burned but in the strength training section it doesnt. But strength training burns more calories. It only shows reps and sets. How do i record calories for strength training?

Not exactly answering your question, but IMO, if you want to burn calories, do cardio work and log the cals. If you want to change how you look or get stronger, lift and focus on technique and consistency, not calorie burns.

JMO.

I am always amused by this line of logic, after watching all the folks at the gym with their carefully calculated pre & post workout drinks, designed to get the body the calories it needs. By your line of thinking, those are not needed in any way, and that all those professional body builders, power lifters, football players, etc, are wrong in thinking that strength training burns calories?

They don't lift for the purpose of the calories burned is what he is trying to say. may be a byproduct of lifting, but should not be the reason for lifting and if you get enough cals and protein during the day the extra 100 or so from lifting wont make much of a difference, unless your deficit is already too large.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

JMO.

No one is arguing that it doesn't burn calories. It's just not very much, and it's extremely difficult to pinpoint an exact burn. People that do strictly weightlifting usually count calories based on the TDEE method because of this.

Since I weight train only once or twice a week, I simply eat at maintenance or slightly below that on those days. I'm of the mind that strength training is for body composition, not weight loss. My opinion, though.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Subscribed.

I go with the TDEE plan as well. Makes life much easier I think.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump to read later