I've been very resitant about lifting...

Options

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    BUT...I like some of the bodies I have been seeing lately and I know deep down that cardio alone won't get me there. I've just been denying it for forever.

I have been really stubborn about wanting to start lifting because to me it seems like a lot of work in the food department. I already measure, weigh, track, make good choices (well, the choices are improving - diary is open for viewing) - that isn't my issue. I'm told to do IF, to eat 1g of protein per pound, to cut, to bulk, to keep macros in percentages - GAH. It's just too overwhelming. I just want to eat healthy and lift without the headache and stress.

On top of my anxiety of food, I used the excuse of "I can't afford a gym membership." While this is true, it dawned on me...I am a full time student. I have a free gym on campus that I technically pay for in my tuition with a heavy lifting section. Why not give it a try there? I wanted to sign up for a weight lifting class but the time slots are not flexible with my nursing classes. I am going to e-mail an instructor to *see* if they would be willing to help me get the main lifts down so from there I can do it on my own. But I REALLY want to be shown, not just hope I understand from a book and some pictures.

I am purchasing The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess tonight and will read it before I set up the possible encounter. That way I have an expectation on form and whatnot so it's not all news to me when I get there.

My stats:

140 lbs, 5'6, 23 years old. Yes, I do not have "much" to lose. I am not considered overweight for my height category. I am in week 3 of C210k and I do that three days a week, Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones twice a week, and yoga once a week. Right now my macro ratio is 40/30/30 and I'm eating 1800 calories a day (which is my TDEE-20%).

My goals:

There is a very particular "look" I want for myself. I am not afraid of gaining some muscle or having definition. However, I want a more long and lean sort of look, not compact muscle (I'm not sure how to explain this). I am not after a 6-pack or fitness competitor's body but a flat tummy with some slight curved definition would be lovely. I want to be able to do push-ups and non-assisted pull-ups one day.

I do NOT want to give up running as I enjoy it but I know I will need to cut it down. I was thinking of lifting heavy 3 times a week, running 30 min HIITs twice a week (no more long distance running), and still keep my one yoga day. Is this reasonable? This should help lean me out, correct?

Now, how will my macro ratio and calories change? Can I still follow TDEE-20% or no?

I'm excited to try something new but it still gives me a little anxiety!

I have to say, it sounds like you are approaching this wonderfully. Personally, I'd increase calories to =TDEE and then see how it goes from there.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The rule with protein gets very confused by folks. It's actually supposed to be 1g per pound of LBM. But if you don't know your LBM weight, another good guideline is 1g per 0.8 lbs. So at 140, that's about 112g but as long as you try to get close to 100 you should be fine. Don't stress about the particulars too much - as you've said, that can get you bogged down quite a bit and make the whole process too complicated.

As far as the kind of muscle you get, I wouldn't worry about that too much either. It's fairly tough for women to get bunchy muscles like men have. We just don't have the testosterone levels for those kinds of gains. Plus we naturally have more fat which softens the look a bit. And on top of that, as long as you're at a calorie deficit (or even maintenance once you get to goal), you won't gain any muscle, you'll just maintain what you have and gain strength and endurance as you train. The changes you may see in definition are more about fat loss so that the muscle becomes more visible.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes; come to the 'heavy' side :).

Starting Strength or strong lifts a good start.

If you're keeping on doing cardio, have a think about when you do which - either alternate days or make sure the cardio is after the weights.

I think the c210k is fairly 'steady state', but do be aware your body only has so much 'recovery' potential, so if you were say doing a lot of intense hill-reps and mixing it with weights, you might be pushing your body a bit if at the same time also on a calorie deficit.

While some people say 1g/1lg LBM, others go for just body weight, especially when on a deficit.
    I usually end up somewhere in-between.
    More protein isn't going to 'hurt', but for the same calories will also mean there's less carbs there for the body to directly fuel it's self from.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm told to do IF, to eat 1g of protein per pound, to cut, to bulk, to keep macros in percentages - GAH. It's just too overwhelming. I just want to eat healthy and lift without the headache and stress.

As they say, Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Start out simple and build from there.

IMHO when you start just focus on lifting, calories and protein. I haven't read the NROLFW but I'm pretty sure that all of those are covered in the book. Do exactly what the book tells you to do for at least 6 months and don't get distracted by anything else you read online.

Good luck!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Cardio and lifting are like peas and carrots. They just go so well together. You will love it. :drinker:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Cardio and lifting are like peas and carrots. They just go so well together. You will love it. :drinker:

Peas must be the cardio. I ****ing hate peas.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm humbled by all the support I'm getting. Thank you all for your advice and friend requests! :)

I went to the "gym" today and it's suuuper small compared to the gym of the last school I was in. In terms of the heavy lifting section, it's the smallest part of the already small room. I did not physically walk over to see everything, but I saw a good selection of free weights, a bench, and only one squatting rack. Maybe that's all I need but I will say that it wasn't much. At my last school, the weight section had its own room and pretty much had everything.

It was suggested to me to go on Groupon and look for any Crossfit deals. I know that Crossfit gyms have one free day to try them out. It would be awesome to learn the lifts there.

Can't wait to be a nurse so I could afford to go to a nice gym. Ha!
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    STOP!!!

Don't do TDEE-x%. Not yet, anyway. You say you don't have much to lose. In your case, the dietary guidelines within NROL4W will probably work very well.

I will check out what the book has to say on the subject, but why in your opinion do you feel the TDEE method isn't the best way to go right now?
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to give you different answers to the questions you asked...especially about the nutrition. I'm a vegetarian and have trouble with the protein intake rules yet I have managed to put on a good bit of muscle these past few months.

I think trying to do it all at once can be overwhelming. Start with the weight training and then move more into modifying your diet. Trying to do too much too soon may leave you frustrated instead of excited.

When I began weight training at a gym I was overwhelmed and embarrassed because I didn't know how to use the machines. Having a program (which you said you do) and watching some YouTube videos will help you know what to do. Don't let not knowing keep you from doing it. You'll get the hang of things really quickly!
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm humbled by all the support I'm getting. Thank you all for your advice and friend requests! :)

I went to the "gym" today and it's suuuper small compared to the gym of the last school I was in. In terms of the heavy lifting section, it's the smallest part of the already small room. I did not physically walk over to see everything, but I saw a good selection of free weights, a bench, and only one squatting rack. Maybe that's all I need but I will say that it wasn't much. At my last school, the weight section had its own room and pretty much had everything.

It was suggested to me to go on Groupon and look for any Crossfit deals. I know that Crossfit gyms have one free day to try them out. It would be awesome to learn the lifts there.

Is the gym you went to the one over at the athletic center by the stadium? Admittedly, I haven't been there in 25 years so they may have moved or changed it since I was there with the stadium renovation and all. They used to have a huge fitness center in addition to the exercise rooms in the various dorm buildings. If you weren't at the athletic center, look into it. See if it still exists and where it is located.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

That's all you need. At least go over next time, and inspect the equipment. You can't let little things like knowing what you are doing stop you trying, or you'll learn nothing new.

You're more likely to learn terrible techniques that would take months to unlearn at a CrossFit class than if you tried on your own. Not all CrossFit instructors are clueless idiots that did a one day seminar to be qualified, but thousands are.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

My goals:

There is a very particular "look" I want for myself. I am not afraid of gaining some muscle or having definition. However, I want a more long and lean sort of look, not compact muscle (I'm not sure how to explain this). I am not after a 6-pack or fitness competitor's body but a flat tummy with some slight curved definition would be lovely. I want to be able to do push-ups and non-assisted pull-ups one day.

Your resulting look will be a combination of genetics and BF%. If you don't want a six pack then aim for a BF% of around 20%. Fitness competitors will have BF% around 15% or lower. The precise amount of BF that achieves the specific look you're after will depend on your genetics, fat distribution, muscle mass, etc.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    STOP!!!

Don't do TDEE-x%. Not yet, anyway. You say you don't have much to lose. In your case, the dietary guidelines within NROL4W will probably work very well.

I will check out what the book has to say on the subject, but why in your opinion do you feel the TDEE method isn't the best way to go right now?

Don't get me wrong - TDEE is fine. That said, from what you've stated your goals are, I think what Lou (and his cohorts) put into the book will be perfect for you, as far as following Caloric goals. What they do is a variation of TDEE. Since you don't have much to lose, though, I'm sure that you'll be very happy with your results if you follow what they say. If you read the book, and don't want to follow the dietary section, that's fine. I won't be offended - just letting you know that that part is included in the book. :flowerforyou:
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    STOP!!!

Don't get me wrong - TDEE is fine. That said, from what you've stated your goals are, I think what Lou (and his cohorts) put into the book will be perfect for you, as far as following Caloric goals. What they do is a variation of TDEE. Since you don't have much to lose, though, I'm sure that you'll be very happy with your results if you follow what they say. If you read the book, and don't want to follow the dietary section, that's fine. I won't be offended - just letting you know that that part is included in the book. :flowerforyou:

Fair enough! Makes sense to me. :) I am excited to read the book and see all that it offers. I receive it tomorrow. Can't come fast enough!
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options

That's all you need. At least go over next time, and inspect the equipment. You can't let little things like knowing what you are doing stop you trying, or you'll learn nothing new.

You're more likely to learn terrible techniques that would take months to unlearn at a CrossFit class than if you tried on your own. Not all CrossFit instructors are clueless idiots that did a one day seminar to be qualified, but thousands are.

Well my little tiny gym *might* have redeemed itself. They have a personal training program that is free to students. The catch is that they are taught by students within the Personal Fitness Trainer degree program, so they're still learning. I talked to one of them and I said, "I want to lift heavy. I have no interest in the weight machines. I want to do deadlifts, squats, all that." He said he could help me and show me how to do them. We'll see. ;)

However, the school says this about their program: "The Personal Fitness Trainer curriculum is designed to help students prepare for certification with the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), two of the most highly regarded certifying organizations in the health and fitness industry."

So, who knows. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Or lead astray. Either one could happen, the latter more probable I'm sure. In the end, being responsible for educating myself is critical.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    YAY for lifting weights.

I am just starting out, but I know it will be worthwhile.
    I try to keep it simple to start out and do squats, lunges, deadlifts ,and a bunch of arm exercises with dumbbells.

My plan is to do full body weight workouts just twice a week. Other days I do activities like swim, ski and some running. I don't want to fatigue my body.

I love the bodies of crossfit ladies and I hope to be strong enough to be able to do a full workout.

Check out crossfit.com for some exercises and videos.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate things....macros and macro goals are great and all...but really, unless you're shooting for competition physique, it isn't necessary to hit them dead on all of the time....I just try to get into the general area largely for what it does for my blood work and in particularly my blood glucose levels.

I long hit the weight room without tracking a damned thing and did just fine. I get within 5% or so of my current macros and I'm just fine....and again, it's mostly for what it does for my glucose levels.

Just hit the weight room...get enough protein (perhaps more than the average joe but you don't have to be slamming multiple shakes a day) and enjoy.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Always Challenge yourself :)

But most importantly learn proper form!!! PLEASEEEE this will help you see gains while preventing an injury :)

The food department isn't complicated, it seems that way but it's not. If you are already weighing your food and counting your calories this will be a piece of cake.

Start intaking 1 gram of protein, make sure your eating those carbs :)

Keep doing your cardio if that's what you enjoy, Have fun !!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. Good luck OP in your goals. Enjoy all weightlifting has to offer! The others are right... start as soon as you can. You will be wishing you did it sooner.
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    This is a great thread. Good luck OP in your goals. Enjoy all weightlifting has to offer! The others are right... start as soon as you can. You will be wishing you did it sooner.

This might sound creepy, or girl crush-y, but:

Oh.my.goodness. You have the EXACT sort of body I was picturing to achieve. Of course, I know that I'm a different person than you and cannot expect to have mirror-image results, but for the most part your stomach, arms and back are what I imagined for myself.

Holy cows alive. Now I'm REALLY excited to do this. Can't look back now.

Dammit NROLFW. Hurry up! :D