ladies doing weight training??

Options
I am a female and need to lose around 3 stone. I have been thinking about doing weight training but need to find out more about it. I have been trying to find meal plans for women but can only find Men's? So either I am being really stupid or just not looking in the right place.

This is what I have been doing: Breakfast - Promax diet shake
Snack - fruit and low fat yoghurt
Lunch - Promax diet shake
Snack - Fruit / handfull of nuts
Dinner - A healthy meal like tuna pasta
Drinks - Water and tea throughout the day

I wont be able to do weights until the evening around 7pm. So will the above diet still be suitable?

Also if anyone has any meal plans they would like to share feel free :-) Think I am going to need all the help I can get!!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You don't need a special meal plan,and there is no difference between men and women (except perhaps calorie requirements). Set yourself protein:fat:carb goals (a common one among lifters here is 30% calories from protein, 30% from fat and 40% from carbs).

Use a calorie calculator like this to determine your daily calorie goal: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Lift and eat whenever fits your schedule.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I second the 40c/30f/30p. Otherwise just eat what you want. Personally I prefer a small protein snack, like yogurt, about 30 minutes before and I follow my workout with a protein bar. But that is personal preference.
  • skippy440
    Options
    A great way to get into weight lifting is to seek out your nearest Body Pump class (google Les Mills Body Pump). It's how I started and you see a change in your shape almost immediately. It's a tough class but you can build up your weights gradually. It's so rewarding. Good luck no matter how you decide to start!
  • maanders
    maanders Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just starting lifting using Jamie Eason's Live Fit program. She includes a meal plan and daily exercise schedule. I can't speak to the result yet since I have only been at it a week. But, I think its a good place to get started if you want to start strength training.

You can find out about it here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that doesnt look like a lot of food. if you're going to do a traditional strength training program where you are progressively increasing the weights then there's no way you're going to be able to eat what you're eating and have enough fuel to recover.

try aiming for something more along the lines of TDEE -10% if your primary fitness focus is going to be lifting and strength training. you will still lose on that amount and still be able to see strength gains.

good books to read are starting strength and new rules of lifting for women
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I recommend you read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It goes with the 40/30/30 ratios and carloies based on your TDEE along with giving you a way to start weight training.
  • xxpinkcandyxx
    xxpinkcandyxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies!! its very much appreciated :happy: