Struggling to eat more.

Options
Lately I've been eaten around 600 calories a day for the past 4 months to lose weight, I've now started to try and eat more and I can do it, but I feel horrible afterwards.

I do about 20 minutes of zumba a day; so that's 300 calories burnt. But being a vegetarian it's harder to get those needed proteins, and peanut butter is getting boring!

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to boost protein levels that doesn't involve massive amounts of peanut butter?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you really are eating that little for that long? (Are you weighing and measuring your foods?) If you are, you probably should see a doctor/RD to help guide you in gaining weight. You didn't mention your emotional/mental stuff at all, but if you feel like there are psychological reasons for your eating so little, you might want to see a therapist/psychologist.

Increase your portion size and stay away from diet foods. Buy full fat milk, cheese and yogurt. Nuts, seeds, avocados, oils and butters, potatoes with sour cream, whole grain pasta, and brown rice and beans, oats. And good bread!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Definitely increase portion sizes. Eat Greek yogurt for the extra protein. Beans have protein, as do eggs, soy, tofu, nuts. I don't know how you feel about protein powder/supplements, but there's that too.

You will feel like crap and bloated for a while, but that's just what is going to have to happen for your body to adjust. It takes a while for your body to figure out what to do with enough food after being so deprived for so long. Stick out the discomfort, and your body will adjust and then likely start functioning better than ever.

Also, "peanut butter" and "boring" or "too much" should never be combined in the same sentence. :P
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's easy to eat lots of calories as a vegetarian. Here are some food blogs that have some good recipes:

chubbyvegetarian dot blogspot dot com
    food52 dot com
    101cookbooks dot com (I just made their barley bowl for dinner last night - delicious & 500 calories)
    splendidtable dot org
    cookieandkate dot com
    theveganstoner dot blogspot dot com (there is a really good looking coconut pot pie that I am trying out this week!)

Eating 600 calories a day is not good and should only be done under medical supervision. It does sound like you have some food/body image issues which you may want to explore.
  • KatieLound1997
    Options
    At least I know why I've been bloated the past few days now! :) but thank you all, I will have to buy some of those foods tonight!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to boost protein levels that doesn't involve massive amounts of peanut butter?
    Tree nuts are actually more nutritious than peanuts, which are a legume. Consider eating almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc. Other legumes (beans) aren't bad for protein, either-- pinto beans, garbanzo beans (and hummus), black beans, edamame (soybeans), etc.