Too Much Sodium

Options
So… I've noticed pretty much every day I go WAY over on my sodium. My dairy isn't open. I guess I just need some low sodium alternatives. It seems most of the sodium I eat comes from deli meat- even though I buy low sodium deli meat, the 1 slice of bread I eat with breakfast, and sometimes I eat reduced fat cheese.

Also, my default I'm too busy to cook meal is 2 gluten free egg rolls with 1 tbs of soy sauce. I realize this is a high sodium alternative, but it's very low calorie. I don't know another low calorie option for only 195 calories.

But most days I make all my meals at home from scratch. A typical day would be egg, ham (I know ham is high sodium) on toast for breakfast (sometimes with low fat cheese), home made veggie soup for lunch, weight watchers mexican chicken pizza for dinner, strawberries and string cheese for a snack. It's usually something like that.

Even when I think I've done super well with my sodium, I go over. Maybe it's high sodium dressing for my salads? I don't know.

What are some low calorie, low sodium options out there?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Aren't all the weight watchers/pre-packed diet meals really high in sodium as a preservative?
  • FatSLPSally
    Options
    It's a weight watchers recipe, not a weight watchers pre-made meal. Sorry, I should have made that clear
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    1) anything you buy packaged is going to have a lot of sodium. do you buy pre-packaged lunch meat? try getting fresh cut lunch meat from the deli... boar's head is pretty low sodium.

But honestly... if you're drinking enough water, you're good. You just have to hydrate yourself enough to counteract all that sodium in your system. When I know my sodium intake was really high for a day... I'll double my water intake to make up for it.

Good luck.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure? That's the major concern for high sodium diets. If your blood pressure isn't high, you don't really need to worry about it.

The other problem with a high sodium diet is it can cause water retention and bloating. It's an annoying but harmless problem.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I know Maruchan just came out with a lower sodium Ramen Noodles...

But deli meats and those tv dinners you have been scarfing down are just lousy with the sodium.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Do you have high blood pressure? That's the major concern for high sodium diets. If your blood pressure isn't high, you don't really need to worry about it.

The other problem with a high sodium diet is it can cause water retention and bloating. It's an annoying but harmless problem.
    This. Unless you have a specific medical condition that requires you to limit sodium, sodium is a non-issue.
  • FatSLPSally
    Options
    No, I don't have high blood pressure. It's just the one thing that MFP tracks that I noticed consistently way over. Everything else I'm usually able to keep to close within what they suggest. I've been really working on my water intake. I downloaded plant nanny and that's helped. If it's not a big deal if I don't have high blood pressure, I won't worry too much about it.

Thank you!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Aren't all the weight watchers/pre-packed diet meals really high in sodium as a preservative?

This.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

That's not necessarily true...high sodium over time can lead to high blood pressure, even if you don't have it to begin with. See #6.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/7-Salty-Myths-BUSTED-Infographic_UCM_456341_SubHomePage.jsp
  • Belinda170
    Belinda170 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing it does matter for me. I've been high sodium for 3 days (pre-packaged deli meats, etc too) and I've 'gained back' 8 lbs. I don't think I have actually gained that back, it's water weight from going high on sodium and not getting enough water. So now I will drink way over my water and lower my sodium and hope that it goes down.

As far you're concerned, I would cut out prepackaged meats/foods, and/or switch from ham to turkey. But then again, if you're not seeing a detriment, then I don't see the issue.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    you have to make a choice.....

#1.... dont worry about the sodium and just accept the side effects... keep eating the crp you eat, processed foods and deli meats and things that are full of sodium just to preserve them so they can be sold forever and ever....

or

#2... decide you are going to deal with it and start eating whole, natural foods.... lots of fruits and veggies....cook your own beans....eat spices that have no sodium in them....no more canned stuff.... fresh stuff..... throw away your salt shakers.... immediately you will feel better...you will sleep better and think more clear...its amazing what sodium does to us..

remember, there are two options...its all up to you.... i went from eating 3000 to 4000 mg of sodium a day....a lot huh..... down to eating now 500 or less a day...the food is great...i love it...lots of Mrs Dash seasonings....lots of other sodium free seasonings ...its very doable....

holler!
  • FatSLPSally
    Options
    Just to clarify again. The weight watchers thing mentioned is a RECIPE. I made it at home, not pre-packaged. Also, I do buy Boars Head meats- not pre-packaged. I'm gluten free I can't have that anyway.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    How about you open up your diary. It may be more helpful that way. I only really come close to going over sodium macros when I eat out so I am not sure how you are pulling this off.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

That's not necessarily true...high sodium over time can lead to high blood pressure, even if you don't have it to begin with. See #6.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/7-Salty-Myths-BUSTED-Infographic_UCM_456341_SubHomePage.jsp
    The thing about that is while sodium does raise your blood pressure, it's only temporary and doesn't cause hypertension in people who don't already have it.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/03/us-eating-less-salt-doesnt-cut-heart-ris-idUSTRE7427AG20110503
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Sally,,

please read up on deli meats.... Boars Head is FULL of sodium and is a processed meat...the chemicals in it are things you cant pronounce ......

google processed deli meats... and BoarsHead is processed...

my quitting salt and sodium has made the biggest difference in my life than any other thing has....

please google these things