50# by 50th - is it possible?

seabs88
seabs88 Posts: 11 Member
All of your success stories are so inspirational! I'm new to MFP and I've set a goal of losing 50 pounds by my 50th birthday - that gives me 29 weeks. What do you think, is it possible? Is it realistic? Thanks for posting all your success stories it keeps us newbies going!

Replies

• rijhip
    rijhip Posts: 10 Member
    Sure it's possible! It's always good to have a goal. With that said, lose weight the right way. Load yourself with information and don't let your goal make you do something extreme. If you fall short and lose 25 pounds in 29 weeks doing a sustainable program, then you are succeeding. Be in for the long term.
  • JimBarnhartMN
    JimBarnhartMN Posts: 35 Member
    It's hard to say without knowing how much you have to lose.

I started my new life last February 19th, which was 10 weeks before my 50th birthday. I'm sure a doctor would say I should lose about >150 pounds to get to my ideal weight, I'm looking to get to about 130 pounds lost. SO I HAD PLENTY TO LOSE!

After 10 weeks, on my 50th birthday I had lost about 30 pounds (so an average of 3 lbs per week). If I look at my history I had lost 80 pounds after 29 weeks.

My advice is to do what you need to do to change your lifestyle. For me it was getting on the treadmill 6 days a week. 3-4 times per week might be enough, but it wasn't enough for me to cause it to be a 'habit' and a lifestyle change. Once the treadmill became part of my morning routine, I found myself eating better in order to not counteract the work I had just completed. I've been doing this same routine now for almost 11 months and it continues to pay dividends.

Good luck!
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    I want to lose 70lbs by my 50th. I am down 22lbs so 48 more to go by September!! It took me since May to lose the 22lbs but I think I know what I did wrong and what I did right. I really, really have to log into MFP every day. All the best! You can do it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    All of your success stories are so inspirational! I'm new to MFP and I've set a goal of losing 50 pounds by my 50th birthday - that gives me 29 weeks. What do you think, is it possible? Is it realistic? Thanks for posting all your success stories it keeps us newbies going!
    Possible yes, realistic? Not sure. It's about 2 pounds per week, which is doable, but fairly aggressive. As you get closer to your goal weight, weight loss will slow down. I'd aim for 30 by your birthday, with 50 as a longer term goal.

I will say that I lost 60 pounds in 26 weeks, so it is definitely possible, but I also had about 100 pounds to lose altogether.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!