Can you loose weight while on Prednisone?

Options
I've been a part of MFP for a few years and have been logging for about 15 days, drink about 6 oz of water daily, eating 80% clean, and exercising 5-6 days a week and I think I figured out why I haven't been losing weight or inches...damn prednisone. So I guess I can choose breathing or get fat, despite all my best efforts! Harrumph!
I'm 170, size 8, 5'6" and I would LOVE to know how 'yall combat the fluffiness on this medication!

Replies

• melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Buller? Buller? Buller?
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the "6 oz" of water daily is a typo. :smile: If not, definately add more water. Prednisone not only causes increased appetite and fluid retention, it also increases your blood suger. All of those combined do not = easy wt loss.

You can do it but you'll likely lose more slowly. Know that up front, be patient and kind to yourself. Keep lots of healthy snacks on hand for when the munchies attack.

Pred always gives me lots of energy. My house is never cleaner than when I'm on it. LOL Use the extra energy to bump up your exercise if you can. That will help a lot.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'm not currently on Pred but was. Is weight gain a side effect?
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It's kind of a niche question--you can't expect everyone to have an answer immediately. Based on what I know of Prednisone, it does make it more challenging, so you may have to be more meticulous in your habits and face a slower rate of loss.

First, I would recommend weighing your food portions for accuracy. You appear from your journal to use measuring cups, but that is much more open to underestimating.

Second, be consistent with your logging. There are days where you have clearly missed logging some meals (usually dinner). You have also logged some things as "home made". Unless that is your recipe, try not to do that. You have no idea whether those numbers are accurate or what portions they are using.

Third, if you just started exercising, your body is probably retaining a few pounds of water as a reaction to the new routine.

Finally, you don't need to "eat clean". Just maintain a calorie deficit.

I agree with all of this!
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Is that a steroid? I was on a high dose of it for around a week, after a bad allergic reaction. It made me very sleepy and lethargic, but otherwise I didn't eat more. I suppose feeling so calm could lead you to make bad food choices.

It also gave me quite bad stomach ache, so I was told to halve the doses and always take it with food.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Prednisone but there are quite a few threads on this exact question. If you don't get any answers on here try using the search feature.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never been on Prednisone long term, but the one time I was on it for a few weeks I gained crazy weight. Mostly water, but that didn't change the fact that I looked fat. And it made me feel sluggish. No burst of energy for me. Honestly, you have my sympothy having to deal with that ongoing. If you need to take it long term I'd discuss options with your doctor. Maybe a diuretic to help keep the water off??
  • jeroenvandijken
    Options
    If you're strict with your food you're still going to lose fat(doesn't look like because of the water retention), but in my experience, the prednison makes you hungry as F***.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    If your pictures on your profile are current,then I don't think you look fluffy at all. You look great!

Not sure on the prednisone, since I haven't had to take any steroids in nearly 15 years:). I know they used to make me MEAN, and from what I've heard they will make it more difficult to lose or maintain weight.

I think this is a question to take to your doctor. Maybe he/she can help.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I was on a daily dose of Prednisone all of last year, and yes you can lose. Hardest part for me was being extra careful with my logging and understanding that it does cause some water retention. But I lost 93 lbs and was on prednisone for most of it.

Weigh your food, log accurately and keep at it. Luckily as I continued to lose and continued to exercise my dose was gradually lowered and now I've been off of it for about 3 months.
  • 1_Ton_Lady
    1_Ton_Lady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it to get aggressive in treatment in my initial diagnosis of RA. It was definitely an obstacle in my journey for weight loss. I gained weight, my appetite was like I've never had before :), my blood pressure was up, very emotional about the whole situation. When I went for my followup visit, I begged him to get me off of it. He is incorporating a different anti-inflammatory with less side effects and is weaning me from the predinisone. Thankfully, the meds are working without the appetitie issue...now looking forward to seeing the scale show a loss! I would suggest looking into a different medication. If that doesn't work, then I agree with the others here....you will have to be more diligent in your logging and exercising. Good luck!
  • lezamcaslin
    Options
    i had started at 241 lbs i lost to 216 and hurt my back at work i was on predisone 3 weeksand i gained back up to 231 predisone is the devil!
  • shellyruth
    shellyruth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on prednisone too, have been for 10 years due to lupus. I've gained a ton of weight, but have just lost 7lbs in 2 weeks using a loosely plant based diet and exercising with an recumbent bike. I think it also depends on how much prednisone you are one. If you are on maintenance with 5-10 mg/day I would think it is possible to lose weight. If you are above 20 mg I bet no one could lose weight. But I could be wrong. Your picture makes you look like an athlete, are you one? Best of luck to you. Michele