calorie controlled diets controlled by someone else???

Options
I'm not knocking these things - if they help people then that's absolutely wonderful. However, things like Diet Chef, Jenny Craig etc.. where you buy your food from them and just eat a set amount of it per day, and they do all the calorie counting for you. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but surely that doesn't help, as you aren't learning anything about portion control, and sure you'll lose weight whilst you're on the diet, but as soon as you stop you are sure to go back to your old habits and put it all back on again? can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    in, hopefully for some understanding (but I'm not so hopeful that it won't turn into a free-for-all :laugh:). My husband is convinced that Medifast or Jenny Craig or whatever is going to be his "thing" that helps him but I'm in the same boat as you, I can't see how it could possibly work in the long term. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing. I would love to be shown how it's a good tool for him - I would love for HIM to find something that works and isn't a total waste of dollars. I don't know.
  • oxsarahhxo
    Options
    It seems to me like a massive con to get your money. And of course once the weight goes back on you think 'Well that worked last time so I'll try it again...' thus giving them MORE money and you're still not getting what you want.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'd think the only way to maintain success on these plans is to make a conscious effort in retraining oneself to eat. Towards the end of the plan, when getting close to goal weight, a gradual transition back into "normal" foods and learning what portions to eat would be a must.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm not knocking these things - if they help people then that's absolutely wonderful. However, things like Diet Chef, Jenny Craig etc.. where you buy your food from them and just eat a set amount of it per day, and they do all the calorie counting for you. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but surely that doesn't help, as you aren't learning anything about portion control, and sure you'll lose weight whilst you're on the diet, but as soon as you stop you are sure to go back to your old habits and put it all back on again? can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    Yes and no. I've heard of people who used programs as described above, lost weight, and kept it off when they go back to normal eating habits. What I've heard from these people is that they did not want to gain the weight back and they did learn about how to control their portions. I've seen such posts from people here at MFP.

I've also had friends who went on the same types of diet programs and gained all their weight back plus more. Two of my personal friends did Jenny Craig, and one person did weight watchers, and all three gained their weight back when they were done with the diets. I think they were stuck on the diet mentality and did not learn about calorie manipulation (eating less than you burn and how to eat in maintenance). One of those people is now using My Fitness Pal to log her food and exercise.

In order for you (in a general sense) to gain weight back after leaving diet programs, the key element is that you killed you calorie deficit by eating more than you burned.
  • bettycrockernot
    Options
    I agree, it is only a short term fix. We need to learn to eat in moderation. Its the learning I have down pat. It the doing and moderation that has me in trouble...
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i 100% agree. I did jc about 20 years ago. lost quite a bit of weight, got within 10-15 pounds of my goal weight, went on maintenance and didnt have the foggiest idea how to eat. For instance, I ate their packaged lasagna so thought I could have any lasagna and be fine. its really quite laughable in hindsight.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I've also known at least 1 person who considered the portions "too small" and were "still hungry" so ate in addition to the prepackaged, calorie controlled diet. Yeah, that didn't work very well :laugh:
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    People most definitely learn through understanding the "why" of a thing, it's a very valid way to lose weight. But, there are a lot of people who are quite healthy that have absolutely no understanding in nutrition, because they've established (through training or random tastes) good habits. Don't undervalue the long term effects of conditioning and good habits.

I have no idea how well those things work, but I can envision a scenario where a person establishes very good portioning habits through programs that control your portions.

The truth is, there is no inherently short term fix or easy way to get into shape. There are tools that move you towards your goals, and choices you make that remove you from your goals. You aren't locked into the same tools for life, simply because at one point they were successful.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I order from Fresh Diet. I get 3 meals a day and 2 snacks that total 1200-1400 calories a day and are 40/30/30 in terms of macros.

I completely disagree that you don't learn portion control since you see exactly how much you should be eating at each meal.

I think this is very different since it is not processed/prepackaged food, but freshly prepared.

I also see what options they provide. So, for breakfast, it is generally some type of egg quiche, scambled eggs, etc. and a side of fruit.

Lunch is generally a salad with a protein or a turkey burger or a soup. Dinner may be a veggie lasagne or a small piece of protein (chicken, steak, fish) and 2 vegetables.

You get the idea. And it is all freshly prepared, so I do see what is a sensible amount of protein to have in my meals. I see that the majority of the meal is vegetables, and carbs are very limited.

I can take these as examples of what I should be eating/preparing if I were to do it on my own. I have done it for a month or 2 when work gets crazy and I have gone off for a while and when I am off, I definitely know my portions are too big and I use what I got from Fresh Diet as examples of what I should prepare on my own.

It works for me.
  • KimberlyAnn327
    Options
    My husband went on Nutrisystem and lost about 60 lbs. Once he stopped, though, he gained it all back and more. To me, it's all about attitude. If it can help you learn to control what you eat- great. But it has to be something you want and not have to rely on someone/thing else controlling it for you.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The one I hate the most is "Lighter Life". So many people I have known have ALWAYS gained back what they lost....and it is sooooo expensive!!!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The idea is that you are supposed to get used to "normal food" in smaller portion sizes. I do think it works for some people. Others don't learn from it, and go back to old habits after the "diet" is over. It IS a diet. It can't possibly be a lifestyle, but some people don't want a lifestyle, and they DO want "just a diet." I worked for Jenny Craig for many years, as a weight loss consultant. I totally get the theory behind it, but the reality is, most people just don't do well, once they stop eating the JC food. Jenny Craig food is delicious, in my opinion. I think it's a ridiculous waste of money, considering the fact that most people gain their weight back, but I don't think the theory behind it, is all that absurd.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    So, my take on this is that I think programs like that place the credit for the weight loss in the wrong hands, or at least that what it feels like. When someone asks me what I am doing to lose weight, I proudly state that I am moving more, eating less, and it is all me! No program, no hand holding, just me... I get the credit. I don't have to say, "oh I am doing Jenny Craig". Because it isn't Jenny Craig that is doing the work, it is ME!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    So, my take on this is that I think programs like that place the credit for the weight loss in the wrong hands, or at least that what it feels like. When someone asks me what I am doing to lose weight, I proudly state that I am moving more, eating less, and it is all me! No program, no hand holding, just me... I get the credit. I don't have to say, "oh I am doing Jenny Craig". Because it isn't Jenny Craig that is doing the work, it is ME!

Bravo!!! and I agree 100 %
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I totally get the theory behind these programs, especially for those that have no idea where to start learning portion control and what a healthy diet should look like. However I also agree that because most of them lack a transitioning phase where the person gradually takes over the decision making and preparation of meals and once they stop using the service, far too many regain the weight.The most success I've ever had in weight loss wasn't gained by consuming prepackaged diet food but by learning the how's, what's, and why's of how much my body needs and which foods were better, balancing macros, etc. I'm not saying one couldn't have success with controlled diets, as many here have mentioned, but I am saying that in order to have lasting success YOU HAVE TO DO SOME WORK. Eating food that's been portion and calorie controlled for you is easy. Learning how to do it yourself is hard. So if you do choose to give your weight loss an easier start by doing one of these programs, just know that eventually you also need to learn how to do it without them or you will be back in the same boat eventually.
  • knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    Options
    I haven't done one of them but my parents have. They used it more as a way to see what normal portions actually look like. So when the stopped (after the month discount) they were able to dish out proper portion sizes of their regular meals. So for their purpose it ended up working well.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts here....and avoid those places... but my father in law lost 130 pounds on herba life... not sure what kind of supplements he was taking, but they taught him cooking, he had access to a counsellor on a daily basis and they encouraged him to keep a journal... he's kept most of it off and eats things he used to think were gross or horrible...like fish, vegetables and cottage cheese... he used to tease me when he saw me eating cottage cheese and now he does all the time! LOL , I personally wouldn't take those supplements, esp if I don't know what's in them...but just giving an example.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I order from Fresh Diet. I get 3 meals a day and 2 snacks that total 1200-1400 calories a day and are 40/30/30 in terms of macros.

I completely disagree that you don't learn portion control since you see exactly how much you should be eating at each meal.

I think this is very different since it is not processed/prepackaged food, but freshly prepared.

I also see what options they provide. So, for breakfast, it is generally some type of egg quiche, scambled eggs, etc. and a side of fruit.

Lunch is generally a salad with a protein or a turkey burger or a soup. Dinner may be a veggie lasagne or a small piece of protein (chicken, steak, fish) and 2 vegetables.

You get the idea. And it is all freshly prepared, so I do see what is a sensible amount of protein to have in my meals. I see that the majority of the meal is vegetables, and carbs are very limited.

I can take these as examples of what I should be eating/preparing if I were to do it on my own. I have done it for a month or 2 when work gets crazy and I have gone off for a while and when I am off, I definitely know my portions are too big and I use what I got from Fresh Diet as examples of what I should prepare on my own.

It works for me.
    I understand. However, keep in mind that just because you (you in a general sense) SEE the portions provided to you does not mean you are learning HOW to do your own portions. Portion control is learned through doing not just having portions sent to you.

Also, someone upstream gave a perfect example: you can't eat the same amount of a food supplies on a diet plan when you go on maintenance. I suspect when you go on maintenance, you will be learning hen how to do portion control and calorie counting. If this is not practiced one you reach you goal weight, it will be difficult keeping the weight off.
  • inc0nceivable
    inc0nceivable Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't know how to delete my post so here's my tactic :)