Any nursing students/nurses out there?

Options
Hey everyone! This is my 2nd week on MFP and I love it! I've lost 3 lbs and have 27lbs to go, I've also had the pleasure of enjoying a month long break from nursing school... I start back up next Tues...eek!!! I'm a little worried on how I'm going to fit in the routine I started into that crazy schedule, esp on clinical days.
Any advice on how to make it work? Need some motivating, positive pals to help keep each other on our toes :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm neither but I do sometimes have a crazy schedule. I keep a stash of granola bars and/or trail mix for snacks at work. I keep a small day planner in my pocket and write down every calorie that I eat. That way, when I finally get a chance to have a real meal, I know exactly how many calories I have left. That and I measure my water intake to make sure that I'm getting 64 oz/day.
  • crazyincolorado84
    crazyincolorado84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm still doing my pre-reqs for nursing, but I have a husband and a 6 year old so meal prep is the key! I try to make up a bunch of salad-in-a-jars, egg whites with a slice of lunch meat, I always wash my veggies as soon as I get home so they are ready to grab and go, chop up veggies to throw together wraps, pre-make veggie burgers or buy the frozen one's for a quick dinner, make large dinners in the crockpot to have leftovers during the week.
  • SuePin02
    SuePin02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! Yes, I will def. work on my time management and prepare my food days in advance. Also keeping a planner for cal. intake is a great idea!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    There are lots of us nurses here!! I've been a nurse for many years and it's a great profession! I bring lunch and snacks that I prepare at home so I don't have to go to the hospital cafeteria - which surprisignly has limited healthy options. I also pre-log everything I bring with me. That way, I don't have to stop and take time to log during the very busy days. Good luck!
  • SuePin02
    Options
    Thank you jfauci, those are great ideas also. I can do this!
  • kim28532
    kim28532 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a second year nursing student! I have been using MFP on and off since 2012. I have just started using it again and hope to lose about 30 pounds. I make my meals for the day in the morning and bring them to school with me. I often make extra food for dinner so I don't have to spend extra time making lunch in the morning. I log everything, except for dinner, before I start my day so that I don't have to take the time to do it at school. I'm also lucky enough to have a free gym available to me on campus which comes in handy during long breaks between classes. Good luck!
  • queenstl
    queenstl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a BSN , wife, and mother of 4. It's really not to hard when you have your mind set. When I was in school , did a lot of walking, tried to watch what I ate, but did what I had to do until school was out, cause something had to be put on the back burner. Once school was out, I got back to doing my 6 miles a day jogging/fitness walking and started watching my calories. When I go to work, I walk to the building from the parking lot which is almost a mile (depending where I park), take the stairs instead of the elevator (no matter if I have to go up to the 10th floor), and get a lot of walking in with the 4-6 patients. I work days and nights, so It can be hard on your body, but I schedule my self right now that i can have 5 days off in a row to recover every other week. Just got to get it in where you can fit it in.
  • looaubin
    looaubin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a third year nursing student and I definitely understand how hard it can be to keep yourself on track with such a demanding schedule. Making sure that I have my meals planned and made in advance really helps me. I always make sure that I have nuts and some dried fruit in my bookbag as well. Dried cherries can really take care of a sugar craving.
  • Ddc76
    Ddc76 Posts: 14
    Options
    I just finished nursing school, so I know how hard it is to make healthy decisions when you're stressed, busy or tired. For me, fast food was always the easy solution. Maybe you could invest in a cooler/lunch bag and fill it up the night before with cut up fruits and veggies. Make sure you bring bottles of water. Oh and try not to bring cash or your debit card, so you're not tempted to buy stuff out of the vending machine or cafeteria at the hospital.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nursing student here!
  • hanab1987
    hanab1987 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a second year radiotherapy student and I also work as a healthcare assistant. Totally understand where your coming from in terms of clinical placements. I'm not much of a forward planner in terms of food, something I'm definitely having to work on so I don't get caught out having to go to the canteen!
  • SuePin02
    Options
    Thank you everyone, all of these ideas are very helpful and I'll be sure to put them to use :happy: