What To Eat After Suffering From Stomach Bug

Options
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but last night and this morning I was sick and had the typical symptoms of a stomach bug (or maybe food poisoning.. don't know for sure.) Anyway, I'm feeling a little better and am experiencing hunger pangs. The weird part is my stomach feels full and I don't feel like I can eat anything. (I don't know how else to describe this.) I went online and went to various websites. One said drink milk, soups etc and then another site said avoid all dairy?!? Has anyone experienced this and if so what did you eat during recovery.

Replies

• SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Just do a search for the BRAT diet. Stands for bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. I am sure someone will disagree on here and have reasons why you shouldn't follow this plan, but it's what I would do for myself. Start out slow with those foods, and get back into your regular foods as you feel up to it. I have been where you are with the stomach virus and have recovered pretty quickly by following said plan. Hope you feel better soon and good luck!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Sunday night I was incredibly sick - have been sticking with mostly broth, soup, and toast since. The broth is full of liquid nutrients that quickly absorb, giving you energy . In addition, make certain you consume plenty of H20. Water is an obvious but people tend to not drink enough of it. Hope you feel better!
  • littlemzkitty
    littlemzkitty Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I got really sick on Christmas and was out of it the next few days after as well. When it finally got to the point where I thought I could keep food down, I started with apple juice mixed with water. Later that day I had a flour tortilla and then around dinner I was able to eat some pasta with a little sauce.

Just go with whatever you think will sit well. The nurse and doctor told me applesauce and toast would be good, basically plain food.

Hope you feel better!
  • softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of your input.
  • brazosrider
    Options
    I agree with avoiding dairy, if you still have upset stomach and nausea it will only cause sour stomach. Stick to clear liquids, broth etc. Try some dry toast or saltine crackers even jello. If you can keep that down you might try some chicken noodle soup. Keep hydrated.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'd start with seven-up or sprite, followed by either orange or lime powerade/gatorade. Once you've been able to keep those drinks down for several hours, try saltine crackers or dry toast. After several hours of being fine with that, I move up to scrambled eggs (with no butter or milk in them). And stay away from tomatoes, apples, and dairy, as they can set off an upset stomach. This is what a nurse told me when I had the stomach flu once, and it's always seemed to work for me. Good luck!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I agree with BRAT, it seems to be the best start. I also will do broth and saltines, be sure to keep hydrated with water and gatorade too.