Running or really brisk walking - advice please:)

Options
Hi All,

So, in typical "me" fashion I'm thinking of what can I do next. I mean, I've been on track for a good day and a half with eating, I'm now pretty much unstoppable ;). I was going to wait until I lost approx. 10 lbs before I started the couch to 5K program - but I think I'll stop by the track and see about starting now.

Has anyone with about 40 lbs to lose started running, I'm somewhat nervous of this and impact on my joints. I carry the majority of my weight below the waist. Should I walk the 5K until I pare down a bit?

I am a pretty fast walker (at least I think so, my last timed 5K was 43 minutes) so not sure if I should continue to get that number lower or head right into the jogging / walking. I'd say that in general, when not in a timed event I probably do a K in 10 minutes without too much difficulty.

Thanks for the feedback and opinions.

S

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of running due to the impact but if you're only 40 lbs. overweight and only talking about doing C25K (which alternates walking and running until the very end, and a 5K is pretty short), I think you'd be fine with either.

What is your goal? To burn more calories in a shorter amount of time? To run 5Ks faster? To enjoy your time spent exercising?
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was concerned about my joints as well, so I started the C25K as soon as I moved from "obese" to "overweight" in BMI. Prior to that, I walked briskly, both to work on my cardio and to start strengthening my legs.
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I started c25k at 50lbs overweight. I had to redo some weeks but after 4 months I had completed the program. After 6 months, I had nearly doubled the distance and had run more than an hour straight. I'm still about 21lbs away from being a "normal" weight but I feel better than ever.
  • rocketblaster
    rocketblaster Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The goal for switching from brisk walking to jogging / running is a perhaps misplaced impression that this will up my cardio endurance. This summer I want to be able to hike some really challenging mountains so I thought that jogging in conjunction with some hill training might make that a reality?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I had 40lbs to lose when I started running again. I would suggest trying C25k and if the running is ever painful, stop running. If you're otherwise healthy (with no prior joint problems) it will probably be fine- it's not like you're in a situation where you can't stop if it hurts. C25k is a well designed program, such that it builds the running slowly enough that your joints have time to adapt to the impact. I would not suggest going out and trying to run through a 5k tomorrow- pushing it too fast is what is damaging to the joints.

I would suggest warming up with dynamic stretching and making sure to stretch your ITB (google it if you don't know what it is). People often think they have joint problems from running when the real problem is tight ITBs.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I started just walking at 231lbs. Then I started throwing running in the mix at about 215lbs. I'm down to 184lbs now and I still walk/run. Just listen to your body. If your body can handle it--go for it. If you are like me and can't continuously run--don't. It doesn't hurt to try and see where you stand.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Im 263 and I started running at 278, and im only 5'3. I have bad knees, and havent jogged since high school, so I was always afraid to even start. I dont do the c25k program, even though im sure I could now. I was too afraid I couldn't jog for 30 seconds at a time. What I did was went at a time hardly anyone is on the bike path, and I use the light posts as distance markers. Each time I would make myself at least try to run the distance of one more light post, and tell myself I have to run one more to look hot in a mini dress dancing at the club lol. Now im jogging more than I walk, and I started last month. You got this! My advice though is to buy a good pair of running shoes. I got mine at kmart for 40 bucks, and they are way better than regular shoes, but I do wish I could afford a better pair.

Also, start slow...dont give everything you got all at once and start running as if you were being chased by a lion. I jog slower to make sure im in tune with my body so I cant pay attention to my knees. And be sure to stretch 15 mins before and after. There is nothing worse than feeling great after a run, and not being able to do it for a week because your muscles are so sore.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k 40 pounds overweight. I've never, ever been a runner. I was always afraid because of my knees. The few times I had tried in the past, I felt like I was suffocating and everything in me burned like fire after just a few minutes.

This time I had a program though, which promised to gradually take me from completely sedentary to running 5k.

The key is to go slow. Jog as slowly as you need to in order to be able to keep up a conversation. Don't wind yourself. Couch to 5K is a distance program, not a speed program.

Your body is slow to adapt to running. Take it easy, go slow, follow the program.

It will help your weight loss and do amazing things for your cardiovascular fitness.

It was a little over 2 years ago that I started couch to 5k and I did a seven mile training run on Sunday, and 4.5 miles this morning.

You can do it, and there's no time like the present. (Just get good shoes!)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    IF you are otherwise healthy and *want* to start running.....then start. It doesn't matter how fast you go. In fact, starting S-L-O-W will be a benefit!! Invest in some well fitted running shoes. Expect that you will have new aches and pains to figure out, manage, and then learn to prevent. I started running at nearly age 40, 160 lbs on a 5'5" body. Certainly not svelte. I'm only down to about 140 these days. I have finished 1 marathon (04:08:57) and am filling up my 2014 running calendar with half marathons, 5k, 10k and 15k races.....I fell in love with running.

I hope you catch the running bug, too!!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I too started c25k with 50+ lbs to lose. I started last March. I've lost 35lbs siince I started running, i ran several 5k's last year and have even bigger plans for this year.

It's totally do able.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm doing c25k treadmill right now (but more spaced out than 9 weeks because my lifting schedule demands it) and I'm about that much overweight, and it's pretty much all in my hips/thighs too. I have to go ridiculously, crazy slow, as in, I could walk as fast or faster, but I can now jog for 30 minutes without stopping. The speed comes later.

I'm pretty proud just to have done it. I didn't care how slowly I "ran", I just wanted the sense of accomplishment. I say go for it!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Has anyone with about 40 lbs to lose started running...

People with 3 times as much to lose (and more!) have started running. Take it slow, and build up using one of the zillion C25K programs out there. As a frame of reference, I originally started C25K at 275 pounds...

Walking burns half the net calories as running the same distance - I like walking for pleasure, but if your goal is a solid level of fitness and/or big calorie burns, may as well make the move.
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm 60lbs overweight and recovering from surgery/leg injuries and such. The advice I got from my doctor is for a progression to running program. You can google it if you want, but it's basically this:

Start off at walking 30 minutes, which it seems already is fine with you at a brisk pace without pain.
    Then the next step is doing walk 5 mins, run 1 min, walk 5 mins, walk 1 min, etc for a total of 30 mins a day, three days a week with a day of rest in between. If you can do that for a week and have no pain, then you can go to the next step, with is walk 4 mins, run 2, walk 4 run 2, etc for 30 mins a day, 3 days a week with rest days between. If you experience pain, drop back to the walking phase and work back up. The next phase is walk 3 run 3 for 30 mins. Then the next phase is walk 2, run 4. The next phase is walk 1, run 5. Then you move on to running 10 minutes at a time, then 15, etc until you can go 30 mins at a time. Then you can think about working on speed should you desire.

This is a guideline that I like to use whenever I start running from a long period of time of no running. ANY pain whatsoever, stop immediately and walk. Listen to what your body says, go slow. There is no need for speed at this point. Definitely run outside, preferably on a track. Treadmills are notorious for creating shin splints and other issues, plus they don't prepare you well for something like a 5k where you're running outside, as a treadmill "pulls" your stride so you aren't working your muscles as hard as you would just running outside. A track is preferable to pavement because it reduces impact and is a little bit better for you. Definitely invest in good shoes and/or inserts. You would not believe the number of issues in all areas of your body that stem from your feet!

Hope this helps!
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've run at every weight. It's harder when you're heavy, but still good for you. As long as you don't have a medical reason not to do it, go for it and take it slow.

What's weird is that when I started MFP, I actually started running less and walking more, and I think that's helped me lose weight. Because I only run a few times a week, but I don't need a rest day from walking? I'm not sure. But if you decide to just walk, know that it's a perfectly valid and effective way to burn calories too.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    get good running shoes and go for it. I was 250lb when I started jogging and could only go for 30sec I am up to 7 min jog/1 min walking most of the time iam still slow but getting better all the time.
  • leigh__
    Options
    I started running when I was overweight and had just recovered from a severe leg and ankle injury. Do it safely and, most importantly, listen to your body. Good luck!
  • rocketblaster
    rocketblaster Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much to all of you for commenting on this. I have been thinking about it over this week and, due in part to our winter thaw (hard to believe we've gone from more snow then I remember as a kid to almost nothing) and "warmish" for winter temps I'm going to start this weekend. I can pretty comfortable do 5K with walking so I'm in an okay state fitness wise. I know running / jogging will knock the wind out of me but I can't shake this idea of how fantastic it will be in a few months if I can run 5 K and just give it my all. It's a fun goal and we'll see where it takes me. It's fantastic to see all of these supportive comments. You all rock.