Help with eating disorder

I started a 'diet' in June last year. Along the way I've lost around 3 stone 4 pounds, I am now 131 pounds and 5'7. Which is a bmi of 20.5, which is healthy right? Well. I haven't had a period since last year. My hair falls out in clumps. I feel dizzy every time I stand and I can't eat in public. But none of that matters because I'm a healthy weight right? Or so I've been told. I have spent most of today looking on the internet and all I have seen is 'anorexia patients have bmis under 17.5'. Food is always on my mind, I have all the characteristics for an anorexic person. But I'm constantly being reminded that you have to be underweight to have anorexia. Fair enough, my collar bones, hands, feet and ribs are prominent, but how can I have anorexia if I'm not underweight? I'm fed up with people telling me that I'm fine, "your weight is healthy". I'm eating 1000 calories a day, which is a BIG difference from around 2 months ago when I would barely scratch 800. I have a problem. And I need help. Does anyone suggest how I can gradually increase what I'm eating to be healthy? Because I'll do anything. And before anyone tells me to seek the help of my GP. I've done it all, denied help for the reason I've already brought up. I now put my faith in someone here, to help me out.

Replies

• Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Recently been eating a little more, not much
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    You could have EDNOS. It's a shame that an anorexia diagnosis relies on a low BMI, when behaviour can be exhibited far earlier. I was in a similar situation last year. I went to weekly psychoanalysis sessions over the summer, and also saw a psychiatrist once a month. My diet is healthy now (around 2,000 net calories daily) so add me if you like. Good luck!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    None of us here are professionals who can help you out mentally. What you're describing is EDNOS, meaning although you have the symptoms and behavioral patterns of someone with anorexia, you don't quite fit the definition due to body weight. To get more calories, add calorie-dense food to your meals. Two tablespoons of peanut butter is 190 calories. 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds is 160-170 calories and are great in a salad. Cook with butter or coconut oil. Don't be afraid of adding fats to your meals. They bulk up the calories and are good for you.

But overall, it would probably help you more to see a therapist that specializes in eating disorders.