almost 20 pounds off and mirror doesnt show it ! :(

Options
I need you to cheer me up. :indifferent:

I almost lost 20 pounds (starting weight : 180, current weight : 163) and I cant see much difference in the mirror yet. :ohwell: Im 5'8 so my weight goal is 145 (= me 5 years ago).

I do have more muscles, especially biceps and shoulders. :smile: But I still have a lot of fat all over my body (I wonder where the heck did I lost those 17 pounds !?). :huh:

Anyway... I will continue working out, but I hope I can see the change in my waist line soon...

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Take a picture and put it next to a before picture and you will see some differences.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Twenty is really something - take heart! Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ok I am at 50 and I really don't see it, but it is great for others to tell me, and my pants tell me and my energy level and pain level tells me, sometimes we have to forget the mirror it take a lot longer to adjust our self image than our pants size!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Post some pics- I'm at just about the same weights- i bet you can def see it (or i bet we can)
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I basically had the same starting weight as you and same goal weight. I didn't see the changes myself. It's so gradual that we don't notice. Get some old pictures out and compare to start....then try on clothes in your closet. Remember how they fit before?
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That's hard to believe... you should compare before pics with a current one. 20 lbs is major and you should be VERY proud of yourself!! I have heard that it is not quite as noticeable at first when you're tall... but I'm sure that you are looking fantastic!! Plus, think of how much you have reduced your risk for ALL KINDS of things like heart attack, diabetes, etc!! Congrats on your loss!! :)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Your start and goal weight are equal to mine and it was right around 20 lbs. loss that it really did start to make a difference. I would ask, "are you buying/wearing smaller clothes?" Because if you are still putting on your regular wardrobe, then no one can notice the great progress you have made. PLUS when you go to buy new clothes, you will SEE/FEEL that you are actually smaller because there is no way that you have lost 20 lbs and still wear the same size. Keep doing what you are doing cause 20 pounds is a GREAT loss and you are well on your way to your goal weight! You are gonna love all the compliments you get as those pounds keep dropping off and you are wearing those new outfits! Kudos to you and your hard work!
  • BeeDoll
    BeeDoll Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Likely a lot of that weight lost is fat off your internal organs. It's not just surface fat we're carrying around when we're over our healthy weight. We're also carrying many pounds inside. Twenty pounds is something to celebrate - whether it's visible on the outside or not!
  • BughaBear
    Options
    That is great yea do a before and after pic and I bet u will see a difference and like someone else said if u dont we sure will and we will let u know!!!!
  • rjgazray
    rjgazray Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Pull out the pictures and compare. I was not seeing results (or so I thought!) until I pulled out pictures and then I could totally see a change.
  • trackgirl_08
    trackgirl_08 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15 lbs and I really can't see a differnce, but everyone else is starting to notice. It happens in places you wouldn't think of at first. Mine is noticable in my face and my "saddlebags". I haven't dropped a pant or shirt size yet, but I put on a pair of slacks I haven't worn in months because they were really tight and I had to lay on the bed to put them on, but they zipped right up.
    I say forget the mirror and let your clothes speak for you :-)
    Congrats on the weight loss!!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 and I can feel the difference but I can't say I can see it. My pants are looser and my belly is further from the steering wheel. Not one person has noticed and that is what I expected going into MFP. I figured right from the beginning I would probably need to lose about 60 pounds before any noticeable difference.

Good luck to you and congrats on the 20 pounds.
  • pshontz
    pshontz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me -- I've lost 36 and people are just now starting to notice (around the 30-lb mark). I noticed a difference in my clothes, but it wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be at 20 lb. I completely relate to how frustrating that can be but the only thing that keeps me going is the idea that I'll eventually get to a healthy weight!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    We are our harshest critics, there is a change and when you least expect it you will be able to see it.