heart rate monitor is it worth it?

Options
I have a fitbit flex which I use all day everyday. This is great for tracking when I am doing zumba or running. I am looking to buy a heart rate monitor but Im just curious how you log your calories burned in mfp? Also is it worth getting a heart rate monitor? I do a lot of bob harper dvds and jillian michaels and I know I am burning calories but Im not moving my feet that much so the fitbit doesn't work for these types of work outs.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You would log them manually...you would have to go in and pick the activity or create an exercise and log your calories. A good HRM is reasonably accurate for an aerobic event, but still an estimate. The further away you get from a steady state aerobic event, the less accurate it is for calorie burn.

I like mine for the sole purpose of monitoring my HR and working in and through various zones depending on my particular session and what I'm trying to accomplish. I could probably do it by feel at this point, but I like seeing the read out on my watch....plus, sometimes I'm out on a ride and I get distracted by the scenery and inadvertently slow down...I have my HRM set to beep at me if I go below 130 BPM on a long ride.
  • jordieq86
    jordieq86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help:)
  • lunula71
    Options
    I LOVE my HRM. I don't count on the calorie burn as gospel, but it's a really good indicator for me of how intense my workouts are. During a workout, I watch my heart-rate, not the calories burned, and I get a good idea of whether I need to take it up or down a notch. Even if the calorie burn is off, it's off for everything at the same rate, so when I try a new workout, I can still estimate intensity in comparison to my normal routine. I do a lot of classes at the gym and sometimes I find myself plodding along, I take a look at my HRM and see that my heart rate is only like 120 so I know I need to work harder.

I tried a Timex HRM and it way over-estimated my calorie burn and operation was tedious. Got a Polar instead and I feel it's much more accurate and easier to operate.
  • jordieq86
    jordieq86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I am looking at the polar ft7 :)
  • PinkGemini612
    PinkGemini612 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40 I love it!