Working out after 12 hour shifts?

Options
flatbellybella
flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
or even 12 hour + shifts? anyone doing it?

I'm a nurse and rotate days and nights... when I do 3 day shifts back to back... it's killer. I workout after work 2 of those 3 days... some days I feel like death lol

Anyone else in my shoes... what do you do?
I feel like no one on my friend's list really understands...
8 hour days just isn't the same.... lol

Replies

• Slenderiix1
    Options
    I am a Paramedic and also work 12 hr shifts, In all honesty you just have to stat committed to getting done. It helps if you have something that naturally will boost your energy. Personally I found natural drops that give me energy boosts during the day (not caffeine of energy drinks).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I went through that many years ago. I sometimes just did one day out of the three. I was trying to build mass with heavy weights and being so drained, I definitely didn't hit my max which slowed the progression. If you are just running or something, I think its attainable.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I work around the same ish and try to work out in the morning before the day drags me down.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I do it after a night shift in the ER, I just take my pre workout once I get home...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    how come ive never had a nurse that looks like you? I need better insurance. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I work 2 days, 2 nights (all 12 hr shifts) and 4 off. I totally understand. I have done 4 12 hour Dayshifts in a row and that was far worse than 4 backshifts in a row.
    I also find it hard to workout after days, I aim to get at least one workout in after Dayshift. I find once I get going, I'm ok (I just ran 90 minutes after Dayshift today). i workout before backshifts and on my days off. There is no way in h3ll I can't workout right after backshift. I've tried it, it just does not work for me.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    This probably dates back to my Army days but working out before long shifts has always been easier for me than afterwards.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I was a walking zombie after 12 hour shifts of any kind. I worked out on my days off but I was so tired all the time trying to acclimate to normal hours that I never did anything worthwhile. I have a normal 8-4 job now and it is so much better for me. Good luck!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I often work 12 hour days 10am - 10pm so I do my work outs in the morning.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse and do a mix of 12 hour shifts.....i struggle with going to the gym. Between actually seeing my children, seeing my husband without the children jumping around on me and working stupid hours i dont make enough time to get to the gym. And when i do go i feel guilty im not spending anytime with the kids or husband.
    I focus mainly on my eating and aim to get to the gym when i can. Thats all you can do.
  • Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work 2 days and then 2 nights in a row doing 12ish hour shifts 6:45am-7pm. I already wake up at 5am to be out of the house by 6:15am. Thank god my drive isn't too bad. Normally I am way too tired to work out after my day shifts besides, I'm one of those people who can't sleep if I worked out a few hours before bedtime. I do try to get at least a 30min walk in or a Zumba dvd during my first night shift before work. But geez even that is hard sometimes. I want to try adding a 30 min workout after my last night shift too when I get off in the morning. I'm usually like a zombie by then but I'm going to try. Anyone in this thread, feel free to add me if your looking for some support from another 12-shift zombie. :flowerforyou:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Do it ALL the time in the military.

You can do it, you just wont have time for much else.

I've always found ways throughout the day to workout. Push up here, squats there, ect...
  • darcyinmo
    darcyinmo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I work 12's on nights as a nurse and have a 30 min commute home. I live in a VERY small town, and the school is wonderful enough to make their fitness center open to the public, however, by the time I get home (usually around 8 am) I can't go because school is in session. On the drive home I find myself getting a small 3rd or 4th wind. I'm hoping that this summer when school is out, I can go straight to the school and workout for one hour. Right now I just go home, have breakfast and wind down to sleep.
    I soo know how you feel, especially those nights you already log 5 to 10 miles just covering your shift and Lord help you if the mental/physical stress of 3 or 4 admits come in 2 hours prior to shift change or a code comes in!
    I know this isn't much help, but I do feel for your and can take a seat in the same boat! LOL!
    I think (or hope) that a good hard workout after a shift can help decompress my mind! As soon as school gets out or even during their spring break I'm going to try it! I'll let you know how it goes! Feel free to add me to your friends list! Us nurses need to stick together!!!! LOL!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I work 9a-9p MWF (with a 40 minute one-way commute) and I can't manage more than 30 minutes of yoga before my shift. I try to balance that by getting 3 or 4 really intense 60-90 minute workouts in on my days off.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yep????????I do 12 hr shifts tooo
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I only have an 8 hour shift, but I work out BEFORE. Then it's done and you don't have to rationalize reasons for not doing it. It's hard to rationalize at 4:45am.