Trying to break the vicious cycle

Options
It's the beginning of the year and once again I have decided to lose weight. I weigh 368lbs. and have started and stopped so many times its ridiculous. Looking for good tips from some of you that have been stuck in the viciouos cycle of weight loss failure and have overcome it...

Replies

• cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Feel free to add me. Stated and stopped lots here too. But back at it for good!
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Welcome!

I don't know how I have done it. I am on my 9th day and am doing well so far. I have cut out all fizzy drinks and take aways and measuring my food portions. What makes me continue is knowing how great I am going to feel when I lose this weight and I am healthier.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • Xlyinia
    Xlyinia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting up here! It is a great first step! I'm down over 50 pounds over the years. My tips for being able to do this long term are these:

1. Don't restrict yourself like crazy - saying NO to everything you love leads to epic binge eating failure.
    2. Don' go nutty on the excercise and think P90X EVERY DAY is the onyl way to get fit. You'll get injured and feel worse. Slow and steady REALLy wins the race. Just take a walk every day (or other day even), and work your way up!
    3. Write it all down, even if it wasn't the best choice, no way to learn without seeign the patterns right?
    4. If you screw up for a day, a week, a month...whatever, just get back up and do the right thing as soon as you can. Forgive yourself, we all screw up (I know I have!)

I can't stress the forgiveness part enough, love yourself enought to do this and forgive yourself when you mess up. Journeys like this are about bring kind to yourself, not kicking you when you are down. Try hard to remember!
  • ladywizard43
    ladywizard43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting up here! It is a great first step! I'm down over 50 pounds over the years. My tips for being able to do this long term are these:

1. Don't restrict yourself like crazy - saying NO to everything you love leads to epic binge eating failure.
    2. Don' go nutty on the excercise and think P90X EVERY DAY is the onyl way to get fit. You'll get injured and feel worse. Slow and steady REALLy wins the race. Just take a walk every day (or other day even), and work your way up!
    3. Write it all down, even if it wasn't the best choice, no way to learn without seeign the patterns right?
    4. If you screw up for a day, a week, a month...whatever, just get back up and do the right thing as soon as you can. Forgive yourself, we all screw up (I know I have!)

I can't stress the forgiveness part enough, love yourself enought to do this and forgive yourself when you mess up. Journeys like this are about bring kind to yourself, not kicking you when you are down. Try hard to remember!

These are all great tips! I am down over 100 pounds in a year and a half, and one thing I want to stress is not to get too hung up on the number on the scale. It doesn't define you. Take measurements, photos. The scale will keep you partly accountable, but there will be times the darn thing doesn't move and the inches do. It really helps to keep you motivated to see actual progress, because after all, in the end it's the inches that really matter, not a number! And drink alot of water! It's recommended half your body weight in ounces per day if you can. Good luck on your journey! You, or anyone, are welcome to add me. I'm here daily to motivate and be motivated! :)