What motivated you to get started

Options
Every day when I get home from work, I beat myself for everything bad that I've put in my body throughout the day. I tell myself, well tomorrow is a new day and I will start fresh tomorrow and begin a healthier way of life (eating, exercising, etc.). Well, the bad thing is, the next day comes and it never happens. I feel tired and sick at my stomach all the time. I never feel good anymore. I am only 36. I weigh 195. My smallest weight has been 140. That's why my name is "LosingIt135," is because I would love to get down to 135 to prove to myself that I CAN DO THIS!!!!! I just need support and the biggest thing...MOTIVATION

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    That is actually why I joined this site. Now I get on every morning before I start my day. Reading posts on the message boards reminds me of what I'm trying to do. You CAN do this!!! Decide every day to make it through that day. It also helps me to plan my food for the day the night before.
  • Sallyismyname
    Sallyismyname Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I got depressed and started eating and drinking to self medicate. It only made it worse. Then one day a client of mine asked me when my baby was due. For real! I was like, that's it. I am gonna get back to my old self. I found that as I lost weight and excersized, I started to feel good about myself and felt accomplished for the first time in years.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself (it's in my profile pictures, the one in which I'm the biggest) and couldn't believe it was me. A couple of months later, I met the man I eventually married. Those two events gave me all the motivation I needed. I fell down a few times, but I'm still going, nearly a year and a half later.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I turned 30 and lost my mind, lol. While that's still plenty young, it was definitely a wake-up call to enjoy my young years in top condition. :)
  • niki1027
    Options
    Planning out the next day's menus sounds like a really good idea! I think im gonna try that!! I also beat myself up each evening for not doing exactly what i was supposed to do that day. But i am trying really hard to achieve my goals. I think being honest with my food log (even when it would be easy to leave a few things off!) is really helping me. And i will definitely try to plan the following days meals out the night before and try really hard to stick to the menus!! Thanks for the great idea!!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What motivated me was a combo of my XXL shirts not fitting any more and when ever I'd complain about the wife would say, "Why don't you do something about it?" So I finally did, after years of complaining about it.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad a few precious months after he turned 60 . . . after 2 years of going through all of the stages of grief . . . then another year to cope with just being able to think, and talk about him without breaking down . . . I realized that it could be me one day if I was not healthier.
    My Dad was certainly not obese, but he did have a few pounds that he could have lost . . . his issue was that he did not eat healthy and had unchecked high blood pressure which caused a fatal stroke.
    I also have a history of self medicating with alcohol, and had to tackle that obstacle first before I could even think about tackling other areas of my live to turn them around.
    It has now been over 2 years since we quit drinking and turned our diet completely around. We eat almost completely clean now and will only have a drink here or there socially, and limit it to 2 per sitting.
    My Dad would be pretty proud of how much we have changed.
  • LosingIt135
    LosingIt135 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Tomorrow is the beginning of a new journey for me with the help of everyone here at MFP. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Getting engaged to Dan. I want to look beautiful in our wedding pictures together. I dont' want to look at them and say "gee, look how fat I am in these!"

Also, Dan's family has a history of heart disease, so I want use both to get in shape so that we can be together a long time.

Shannon
  • LosingIt135
    LosingIt135 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Getting engaged to Dan. I want to look beautiful in our wedding pictures together. I dont' want to look at them and say "gee, look how fat I am in these!"

Also, Dan's family has a history of heart disease, so I want use both to get in shape so that we can be together a long time.

Shannon

That's a very good reason. I have 2 young girls that I want to see grow up and mature and have families of their own. I've decided that if I don't do something about my weight, I'm not going to live see all of that happen and it saddens me. :cry:
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I motivated myself. I realized enough was enough. I was slipping for a little bit recently, but I am finally revigorated to keep with trying to meet my goals.
  • themostbeautifullies
    Options
    I was slowling get motivated but a few days ago I went with my cousin to buy a dress to her graduation and nothing fitted me, all the girls that work there were nice, nobody said anything mean but then, I looked at my little cousin cheking herself out on the mirror, saying she thought the dress was too short and I remember thinking that I didnt remember when the least of my worries, when shopping, were if the dress was too short or if the colour was right. Then, I realize several things at once, the strugle to find clothes, the tiredness that follows me everywhere, the pain on my back for staying on my feet for too long and betweeen other things. All this these make my life harder then a little diet and exercise.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    High Blood pressure, chroinc back pain, and always disgusted to look in the mirror is what got me motivated. I absolutely plan my meals in advance. I bring my dinner to work with me and make sure I have enough to fill me up so I'm not tempted by the pizza place next door. I have also fallin in love with exercising. I was a couch potatoe and now I'm never on the couch anymore. This site has been a great help and my friends keep cheering me on. You can do anything you set your mind to. Best wishes.
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    What motivated me was finally realizing that I could do something about my weight without having to go on some crazy diet or do an impossible amount of exercise. That happened when I lost a bit of weight a few years ago without even trying. At that time I was walking a ton and I was also cooking more at home instead of relying so much on take-out. It seems silly now, but I was so surprised when I started to shrink. Unfortunately that was all a side effect of a temporary schedule and I wasn't able to keep it up, but it got me thinking, it made me realize that change was possible, and I've been working on incremental lifestyle changes ever since. It's been slow, and I've had to learn a lot, but I am determined to finish what I have started.

I'm new here at MFP, I've decided to use this site to see how tracking might help me get over a stall. It should be interesting. If anyone wants another friend, feel free to add me.
  • tmillion
    tmillion Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What motivated me was my jeans were getting SO tight and I'm turning 45 in a couple months and I want to be healthier and not feel so FAT!! I was also tired of the lack of control I have with food. It makes me mad that this area of my life is so hard to control. Food is such an addiction

2631168.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I got sick of not fitting into half my clothes in my closet! Also, seeing pictures of myself and seeing my double chin or my chubbiness made me feel awful about myself.

Soon as I started exercising I instantly starting feeling better about myself and having more energy.

THis website has made me stick to it.. I love the ppl on it, they are such great motivators to work out, seeing that _____ burned ____ calories doing ______ made me want to get up off my butt and work out. Logging food also made me realize what I was eating, and what I should be eating

Its a journey, one that doesnt happen over night. But, I didn't gain the weight over night so it isn't going to come off that quickly either. Stick with it and you will get to your goal weight in no time! Take each day at a time - and be proud of every successful day because they add up.

I started at 159 and my goal is 130.. I am 134.5 - oh so very close! Started in May and hope to be at my goal in December, if not I will keep working at it until I do! From there I will continue to work to tone tone tone!

Good Luck with your journey :):)
  • panda742002
    panda742002 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello,

In January I stared MFP, I was good for about 4 weeks then I gave in and stopped. I wish I hadn't. All year I kept thinking how I let another year get away and me being the same size and my jeans are now getting tighter and I refused to buy the next size of jeans. Plus my mother in law has been dealing with a lot of health problems this year with her feet due to being diabetic. I have seen her sad. I don't want that to be me. Also I figure I have 3 3/4 till I turn 40 and after that I know it will be harder to lose weight. I also thought of the future. I have two boys (9) and (3) I want to see them grow up, graduate, college, get married. I want to see all of their milestones. I want to see my grandchildren and be able to enjoy them.

So in September I started this web site up again and started counting my calalories and walking every day on my lunch break. Then I dusted off the Walk Away the Pounds tapes. Now 8 weeks later yes. I haven't lost a ton of weight but I have lost 3 inches in my stomach and waist line. My jeans are not tight any more. I also have walked 84 miles, Thanks to the October and Nove walking groups I just can't stop I think people are getting tired of me talking about walking. Oh well!! I hope by Christmas I will have lost at least 4 more pounds to be down 10. I know I will get there eventually though.

Good Luck to the future!!!

Dawn