Coca cola cleanse for bezoars

Options
EvgeniZyntx
EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
Do you have a mass trapped in your intestine or stomach from eat too many persimmons?
Finding that eating your hair has resulted in a ball of undigested organic matting?

Want to get rid of that phytobezoar?

A valid cleans for these is Coca Cola. Plus a little injection up the butt.
http://www.tsim.org.tw/journal/jour20-2/08.PDF

A cleanse THAT WORKS! Someone call Leonard Cohen!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ew.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Bezoars are to be taken orally. They are not suppositories!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Best post of the day.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Best post of the day.

Thank goodness it was only 9:03 AM. The remainder of the day awaits!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Seriously fantastic. You brightened my dark mood. Thank you!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I know this was meant to be funny, but the question that I can't seem to resolve is what on Earth made the doctors think that Coca-Cola was the solution to this? I'm glad it worked but still it's an odd thought...
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Did this guy eat a lot of oranges?

ETA: does Coke=acid?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    But . . . but . . . I love my bezoar!

eagleheart0202.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I know this was meant to be funny, but the question that I can't seem to resolve is what on Earth made the doctors think that Coca-Cola was the solution to this? I'm glad it worked but still it's an odd thought...

If you are going to cleanse, you really need to choose your product, someone posted about pizza cleanses yesterday. That was meant to be funny. Coca cola is serious business; It's a real treatment option and has a history:

Persimmon bezoar successfully treated by oral intake of Coca-Cola: a case report
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2627813/

or

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22393302
    Treatment of gastric phytobezoars with Coca-Cola given via oral route: a case report.
    Ertuğrul G, Coşkun M, Sevinç M, Ertuğrul F, Toydemir T.
    Author information Department of General Surgery, Düzce Atatürk State Hospital, Muncurlu, Düzce, Turkey.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: A 43-year-old female patient presented with a chief complaint of upper abdominal pain. As her complaints had lasted for 1 month, an upper gastrointestinal system endoscopy was performed and discovered a bezoar in the stomach.

CASE PRESENTATION: The bezoar was quite hard and light green-yellow in color. Pathological examination revealed phytobezoar. The patient was hospitalized and given oral Coca-Cola(®) Zero for seven days at a dose of 500 mL three times daily.

CONCLUSION: The upper gastrointestinal system endoscopy performed at the end of 7 days showed that the phytobezoar had softened and become smaller. The phytobezoar was broken into pieces with biopsy forceps and washing was applied, so the phytobezoar pieces could pass through the pylorus. The patient was discharged after the procedure without problem.

or

Systematic review: Coca-Cola can effectively dissolve gastric phytobezoars as a first-line treatment.
    Ladas SD, Kamberoglou D, Karamanolis G, Vlachogiannakos J, Zouboulis-Vafiadis I.
    Author information Gastroenterology Division, First Department of Medicine - Propaedeutic, Medical School, Athens University, Laikon Hospital, Athens, Greece.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Gastric phytobezoars represent the most common bezoars in patients with poor gastric motility. A variety of dissolution therapies and endoscopic fragmentation techniques have been evaluated as conservative treatment so as to avoid surgery.

AIM: To investigate the effectiveness of Coca-Cola for gastric phytobezoars dissolution.

METHODS: We performed a systematic search to identify publications on gastric phytobezoars to assess the efficacy of Coca-Cola as a dissolution therapy. Diospyrobezoars, formed after persimmon ingestion, are a distinct type of phytobezoars characterized by their hard consistency. Thus, these two subgroups of bezoars were compared in terms of successful dissolution.

RESULTS: Over a 10-year period (2002-2012), 24 papers including 46 patients have been published. In 91.3% of the cases, phytobezoar resolution with Coca-Cola administration was successful, either as a single treatment (50%) or combined with further endoscopic techniques, whereas only 4 patients underwent surgery. Phytobezoars were more likely to dissolve after initial attempt with Coca-Cola compared with diospyrobezoars (60.6% vs. 23%, P = 0.022).

CONCLUSIONS: Coca-Cola alone is effective in gastric phytobezoar dissolution in half of the cases and, combined with additional endoscopic methods, is successful in more than 90% of them.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Best post of the day.

I can't wait for the post that beats this one :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

If you are going to cleanse, you really need to choose your product, someone posted about pizza cleanses yesterday. That was meant to be funny. Coca cola is serious business; It's a real treatment option and has a history:

Persimmon bezoar successfully treated by oral intake of Coca-Cola: a case report

or

Treatment of gastric phytobezoars with Coca-Cola given via oral route: a case report.
    Author information Department of General Surgery, Düzce Atatürk State Hospital, Muncurlu, Düzce, Turkey.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: A 43-year-old female patient presented with a chief complaint of upper abdominal pain. As her complaints had lasted for 1 month, an upper gastrointestinal system endoscopy was performed and discovered a bezoar in the stomach.

CASE PRESENTATION: The bezoar was quite hard and light green-yellow in color. Pathological examination revealed phytobezoar. The patient was hospitalized and given oral Coca-Cola(®) Zero for seven days at a dose of 500 mL three times daily.

CONCLUSION: The upper gastrointestinal system endoscopy performed at the end of 7 days showed that the phytobezoar had softened and become smaller. The phytobezoar was broken into pieces with biopsy forceps and washing was applied, so the phytobezoar pieces could pass through the pylorus. The patient was discharged after the procedure without problem.

or

Systematic review: Coca-Cola can effectively dissolve gastric phytobezoars as a first-line treatment.
    Ladas SD, Kamberoglou D, Karamanolis G, Vlachogiannakos J, Zouboulis-Vafiadis I.
    Author information Gastroenterology Division, First Department of Medicine - Propaedeutic, Medical School, Athens University, Laikon Hospital, Athens, Greece.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Gastric phytobezoars represent the most common bezoars in patients with poor gastric motility. A variety of dissolution therapies and endoscopic fragmentation techniques have been evaluated as conservative treatment so as to avoid surgery.

AIM: To investigate the effectiveness of Coca-Cola for gastric phytobezoars dissolution.

METHODS: We performed a systematic search to identify publications on gastric phytobezoars to assess the efficacy of Coca-Cola as a dissolution therapy. Diospyrobezoars, formed after persimmon ingestion, are a distinct type of phytobezoars characterized by their hard consistency. Thus, these two subgroups of bezoars were compared in terms of successful dissolution.

RESULTS: Over a 10-year period (2002-2012), 24 papers including 46 patients have been published. In 91.3% of the cases, phytobezoar resolution with Coca-Cola administration was successful, either as a single treatment (50%) or combined with further endoscopic techniques, whereas only 4 patients underwent surgery. Phytobezoars were more likely to dissolve after initial attempt with Coca-Cola compared with diospyrobezoars (60.6% vs. 23%, P = 0.022).

CONCLUSIONS: Coca-Cola alone is effective in gastric phytobezoar dissolution in half of the cases and, combined with additional endoscopic methods, is successful in more than 90% of them.

Thank you for more information, however my curiosity was piqued as to how the idea of using Coca-Cola as a means of disolving bezoars originated. Even the original paper claims that they do not fully understand the mechanism through which it works.

My statement was not really a question I was posing to you but more of a sense of wonder that this solution was found in the first place as soda is not high up on the list of things people think of as treatments to medical problems.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

or

Abstract

or

Abstract

Thank you for more information, however my curiosity was piqued as to how the idea of using Coca-Cola as a means of disolving bezoars originated. Even the original paper claims that they do not fully understand the mechanism through which it works.

My statement was not really a question I was posing to you but more of a sense of wonder that this solution was found in the first place as soda is not high up on the list of things people think of as treatments to medical problems.

My guess is that, since I've read a few articles on this in Korean and Indian journals, these where initial home remedies tried much like coke can settle an upset stomach or be used to remove certain stains. From the home remedies, someone just tried it in the hospital setting.

Serendipity.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    When you are feeding a cat with an esophageal feeding tube, you're supposed to keep a can of room-temp Coke on hand. Not diet, not Pepsi, not generic brand. Just good ol' Coca-Cola. If you get a clog in the tube, you put a little Coke in, let it sit a while, try a water flush to see if it's dissolved the clog yet, repeat as necessary. Believe me, it only takes one 3 a.m. clog disaster before you keep a can on hand from that day forth!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    When you are feeding a cat with an esophageal feeding tube, you're supposed to keep a can of room-temp Coke on hand. Not diet, not Pepsi, not generic brand. Just good ol' Coca-Cola. If you get a clog in the tube, you put a little Coke in, let it sit a while, try a water flush to see if it's dissolved the clog yet, repeat as necessary. Believe me, it only takes one 3 a.m. clog disaster before you keep a can on hand from that day forth!

Overwhelming evidence shows that high fructose corn syrup beverage are solely responsible for the feline obesity problem in this country. I can't believe you would do that to an animal. Disgusting.

Science:
    http://isotropic.org/papers/chicken.pdf
    http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
    http://www.doctoroz.com/hardcore/creampie.htm
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    does it have to be regular, or can I cleanse with coke zero?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6367458_clean-car-battery-coca-cola.html

Well, you know if it will clean a car battery...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6367458_clean-car-battery-coca-cola.html

Well, you know if it will clean a car battery...

You can also use it to remove the patina from beryllium copper Ping golf clubs and the rust from wedges and irons designed to rust.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Overwhelming evidence shows that high fructose corn syrup beverage are solely responsible for the feline obesity problem in this country. I can't believe you would do that to an animal. Disgusting.

Science:
    http://isotropic.org/papers/chicken.pdf
    http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
    http://www.doctoroz.com/hardcore/creampie.htm
    If you think I'm visiting those links at work you got another thing comin'!:laugh:

Sigh. Too bad it didn't put more weight on my sweet kitty. I'm pretty sure the only time she ever ingested high fructose corn syrup is when she climbed up onto the table, chewed through the plastic wrap and tucked into a piece of pecan pie. Man, that cat was weird!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Best post of the day.

This forum cracks me up!
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Of course I googled it. Of course I looked at images. While eating lunch. Ick.
This discussion has been closed.