40/40/20 Macros

Options
KylaDenay
KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
Hello everyone! I am new to this whole macros thing and I am trying to maintain a 40/40/20 diet. It is hard to maintain the right numbers. Today I have am doing a bit better. I am trying to maintain a 1850 calorie diet. So I guess that is 185g of carbs and protein. My carbs are a bit over (211 today) and my protein is under. My fat intake is hard too! Nuts, peanutbutter and protein bars have high fat. Plus I use 1 tsp of coconut oil sometimes when I cook. Any information on the best foods and how to maintain this would be great!! TIA

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am new to this whole macros thing and I am trying to maintain a 40/40/20 diet. It is hard to maintain the right numbers. Today I have am doing a bit better. I am trying to maintain a 1850 calorie diet. So I guess that is 185g of carbs and protein. My carbs are a bit over (211 today) and my protein is under. My fat intake is hard too! Nuts, peanutbutter and protein bars have high fat. Plus I use 1 tsp of coconut oil sometimes when I cook. Any information on the best foods and how to maintain this would be great!! TIA

I think 185g protein is too much anyways especially for a woman... I would re-assess your numbers and ways to get more protein in your diet without fats would be lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish) or whey protein powder
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on getting protein sources that are 70-80% calories from protein.

These are going to be things like egg whites, chicken, turkey, very lean ground beef, and some protein powders.

That is probably your biggest hurdle to get around a high protein, fairly low fat, macro.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I try to stay fairly close to the same ratios. Basically, I find it easier when I focus NOT on including more protein, but on cutting out more carbs. Which, in practice, means that I have lots of protein and vegetables with most of my meals, and little rice/potatoes/bread. When I do have these things, I'll have a half cup of rice, 3 ounces of potato, or a sandwich thin or flatbread - in other words keep it to around 100 calories, or 25 grams of carbs. So then you have another ounce or whatever of protein. I don't obsess about hitting exactly 40% of carbs, though - a few more or less on any given day is not meaningful in my opinion.

And, this may go without saying, but anything sweet is going to be high in carbs, including fruit and juice. That does NOT mean you should not eat fruit, but it does mean that if you want to stick to these ratios, you're probably going to want to have only 1 or 2 servings, and consider how to adjust other carbs accordingly.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm trying for 50/30/20 and it is WAY hard to not go over fat!