Pumpkin Chicken Chowder

Options
My favorite soup to make in the winter. Yummy pumpkin flavor with lots of protien and a great amount of heat to keep you warm in the winter!

Pumpkin Chicken Chowder
Makes 8 servings

2 (about 14 ounce) red bell peppers
2 (about 1 ounce) jalapeño peppers
2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
1 1/2 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 large onion
1 (about 2 pounds) pumpkin, peeled (use a veggie peeler), seeded, cut into 1-inch chunks
3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1 teaspoon(s) chili powder
1 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh ground pepper
1 ear(s) (1 cup) corn, kernels removed
3 can(s) (14 1/2 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon(s) Fresh oregano leaves
1/2 cup(s) sour cream (optional)

1) Roast the peppers: Preheat oven to broil. Place the red peppers and jalapeños on a baking sheet and cook under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the skins blacken, about 10 minutes. Seal the charred peppers in a plastic bag for 10 to 12 minutes. Peel, stem, seed, and cut peppers into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.

2) Make the soup: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned. Remove the chicken and keep warm. Add the onion and pumpkin and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the flour, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the corn, peppers, chicken, broth, and oregano and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, about 30 minutes. Garnish with sour cream if desired and serve hot.

Nutrition (without sour cream)
Calories: 213
Fat: 5
Carbs: 19
Protien: 24
Fiber: 2
Sodium: 413

Replies

• IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Wow!! :love: Sarah, this sounds ssssssssoooo yummy!! :love: I can't WAIT to try it! :smile: Thank you so much!! And I'd love to keep up with you! Let's be friends!! :flowerforyou:
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMM, that sounds so good!
  • christina1109
    Options
    Sounds interestingly yummy. I may give it a try this weekend. :)
  • supersarah14
    Options
    Wow!! :love: Sarah, this sounds ssssssssoooo yummy!! :love: I can't WAIT to try it! :smile: Thank you so much!! And I'd love to keep up with you! Let's be friends!! :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Absolutely!!!! Friend request accepted! :happy:
  • Utahbeth
    Options
    Sounds awesome. I'm going to see about trying it tonight. :)
  • Utahbeth
    Options
    Just made this today! It's delicious, but it definitely took a bloody long time to make. :)
    Who knew that peeling pumpkins was so hard?
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing...sounds amazing!
  • loserchick
    loserchick Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump! That sounds so yummy :)