Can sugar in fruit prevent weight loss?

Options
So according to MFP, I'm going about 50 grams over my recommended amount of sugar, but like 95% of my sugar is from fruit. I'm eating a fruit smoothie for dinner, (1 banana, 2/3 c strawberries, 1 c peaches, 4 oz 100% natural apple juice - but also including 1 c spinach, hemp protein, and cinnamon).

My diary is also public (planned food for the day but have not logged workout).

Is this amount of sugar from fruit going to prevent me from losing weight? I rarely eat candy or baked sweets, etc. I don't even like them very much... but I really love fruit :(

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So according to MFP, I'm going about 50 grams over my recommended amount of sugar, but like 95% of my sugar is from fruit. I'm eating a fruit smoothie for dinner, (1 banana, 2/3 c strawberries, 1 c peaches, 4 oz 100% natural apple juice - but also including 1 c spinach, hemp protein, and cinnamon).

Is this amount of sugar from fruit going to prevent me from losing weight? I rarely eat candy or baked sweets, etc. I don't even like them very much... but I really love fruit :(

Are in a caloric deficit? If the answer is yes, then no
  • GIA4FITNESS
    Options
    ^^^accurate.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    For myself, eating fruit did not hinder my weight loss efforts nor did it cause the sugar spikes I experience with certain other foods.
  • redladee1
    redladee1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've only been back on MFP for several days and noticed fruit caused an excess of my daily sugar allowance So I checked some sites and discovered fruits with a lower sugr/carb content. If interested, you can check this site:
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/which-fruits-have-the-most-sugar.html
    which contains pretty much the same info as other "expert" sites.
    Personally, I think I'll forego the bananas and grapes for now and stick with melons, berries and apples until I reach my goal weight.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Unless you have been told by a doctor to limit your sugar intake you can disregard the sugar amount in your diary. Sugar doesn't cause weight gain, being in a calorie surplus does.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was going to ask the same thing. My Daily goal is 51. How can I meet that goal without going over it ever? Seems kind of impossible
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Are in a caloric deficit? If the answer is yes, then no

That about sums it up...
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    your entire day's calories could be from fruit and you would still lose weight as long as you're in a deficit. sugar is not the enemy. dietary fat is not the enemy. carbs are not the enemy. eating more calories than you burn IS the enemy. focus.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

If you stick to eating a couple of pieces of whole fruit a day, no problem. But that fruit smoothie (bananas are high-sugar, apple juice is basically sugar water) every day, on top of all the starch (English muffins, sandwiches, oatmeal, energy bars) you eat, probably will stall you and/or keep you hungry.

Sugar does matter, especially if you have family history of type 2 diabetes. It's hard to cut sugar out entirely, and not necessary, but it would be wise to minimize it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    But that fruit smoothie (bananas are high-sugar, apple juice is basically sugar water) every day, on top of all the starch (English muffins, sandwiches, oatmeal, energy bars) you eat, probably will stall you and/or keep you hungry.

How?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    But that fruit smoothie (bananas are high-sugar, apple juice is basically sugar water) every day, on top of all the starch (English muffins, sandwiches, oatmeal, energy bars) you eat, probably will stall you and/or keep you hungry.

How?

Blood-sugar swings. She's taking in 50 or 60 grams of (mostly simple) carbs all at once with those daily smoothies. Her macros are set at 50/30/20, but a lot of days she's eating more like 60/20/20. Look at her diary. I dunno, maybe she can handle it for now; she's young, doesn't have all that much weight to lose.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I count carbs, not just sugar. Keep the carbs and calories low and you'll likely lose weight.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar in foods since I really don't put sugar in anything and I don't buy processed foods that would include sugar.
    Even when I bake tasty treats I usually halve the sugar required.

Fruits have sugar, they also have fibre, vitamin c, vitamin b6, magnesium, potassium, etc. All good stuff your body needs.
    And aren't berries known as a superfood?

So don't worry about sugar in healthy foods.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

How?

Blood-sugar swings. She's taking in 50 or 60 grams of (mostly simple) carbs all at once with those daily smoothies. Her macros are set at 50/30/20, but a lot of days she's eating more like 60/20/20. Look at her diary. I dunno, maybe she can handle it for now; she's young, doesn't have all that much weight to lose.

I'm not following how this stalls/prevents weight loss. I had 120g of sugar in one sitting 1/2 hour before I went to bed last night. I'll be in a calorie deficit for the week and will lose weight-despite whatever blood sugar spike occurred.