HRM Advice please!

Options
Wow - what a mine field!

I do not know where to start looking. I want a HRM so I can be accurate with my calorie burns. Ideally it would be water proof (but TBH I only swim 1/2 a month) - but even more ideally it would link with 'Map my walk'.

What is the easiest to use - fairly reasonable priced - accurate one to go for ?

Replies

• putdownthebiscuit
    putdownthebiscuit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think "reasonably priced" is subjective. I didn't want to spend very much money on a HRM before knowing how much I would use it. I'd never used one before. Amazon had a great price for the Polar FT4 (chest strap and watch), which a lot of my friends use. It's a pretty simple set up. it doesn't link to anything online, but it's comfortable and effective. I've heard reports that some wear it swimming, but you probably want to check that. I love it so far. I just want to work out, be comfortable, and track my calories. It does all of that. Plus, I love that it's easy to see my heart rate while I'm working out and you can enable/disable a beep that lets you know whether your heart rate is outside (high or low) your target zone. For me, for now, it's right what I need and the price was right (about $60). Just remember that Target and Best Buy price match when you do make your decision, if you don't have Amazon prime. Good luck in the hunt!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Since you want it to link with map my walk, it sounds like you carry your smart phone with you while you exercise. In that case you could simply get a chest strap and transmitter to sync with your phone and not have to shell out for the watch/computer. There are various brands, polar is one. Check out the apps section of this site for various brand and their products for fitness tracking.

I have a polar ft60. I chose this one specifically because it has a built in training program, fitness test and ability to enter in your own VO2 max information. It is waterproof. just don't press the buttons underwater.

Check out bodytronics.com for good prices and be sure to google coupon codes for even better discounts.
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I must admit I have no knowledge of these products. I love the map my walk app as Im training for a 62 mile walk in May (only downside is the battery life on my smart phone ... grrr) . Not had much luck finding one that supports this app - but didnt know I could get a chest strap that syncs with my phone :-)

Really I want it so I can stop guestimating my calories during these walks and when I do mild exercise like the leslie sansone workout etc - so perhaps a strap that syncs with my smart phone may be the best thing for now - would i be able to add the watch at a later time?