Who Else Struggles on the Weekends?

Options
From Monday to Thursday I have a pretty set schedule and routine and manage to eat well and get my workouts in.

Then, the weekend rolls around and I get completely derailed. I find that mostly this is due to social events...which generally revolve around food and drinks. I want to take part and hang out with my friends and family, but need to be able to stick to my diet plan. I will lose two pounds in a week, then gain them back over the weekend. Wash...rinse...repeat. So frusterating.

I can usually fit in exercise on the weekend, so that part is not a problem.

Anyone struggling with the same thing or have any advise?

Replies

• _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I can do well on Saturday but by Sunday I have all these cravings for chips and breads and I try to eat in moderation but fail

Instead of focusing on falling off the tracks on the weekend I try to focus on working hard because fat loss is really hard for me and I get frustrated/defeated easily
  • MittnMom162
    Options
    I tend to get like that too!!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a long time and have lost a lot and gained a little.

My weekend eating is the determining factor of whether I will lose weight or maintain.

If I am on track all week, but eat too much on the weekends, I maintain. If I stay on track 6.5 days a week, I lose. If I'm off track all week, I'll gain.

A day or two definitely makes a difference.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, not so much on Saturdays but on Sundays. My workout schedule is Cardio M, W, F, Weight Training, T, THU, S. I designated Sundays as a cheat and recovery day so it rarely bothers me anymore. I hope this helps you.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I tend to do better on weekends actually. I end up so distracted with a non-routine schedule that I'm not thinking about what to eat so much. And time flies on weekends since I'm not working! It helps that my husband is very supportive, and while we do go out to eat pretty much every weekend, it's only to places where I feel okay about the food calorie-wise. Maybe become busier with non-food related activities?
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Yep. It bites. I'm trying to exercise more on weekend days, like hikes and long yoga classes.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Weekends usually make or break how much weight loss I have for any given week due to being social and eating at restaurants. I also like to live a little and eat what I want at least one day a week. I have been just figuring in the weekends as just times I will eat more and have been doing well so far this time that way. I'm losing an average of 2 pounds a week so far.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I have struggled on the weekends in the past but don't any longer. I allow myself a free day on Saturdays (my Sabbath), which allows me to relax from the stress of counting calories. I generally have my usual healthy breakfast, a nice hearty late lunch, and always end the day with a sweet treat. On Sundays, it's right back to all day healthy eating.

When I'm with my friends and family, I use that time to enjoy their company. If we're planning to go out to eat, I plan in advance. Plan what you're going to eat in advance along with how much. Remember, you are the one in control of your health.

Wishing you all the best. You can do it!!!
  • tiffaniannette
    Options
    I also really struggle on the weekend. Like you I can get exercise in without much problem but food is hard. What I have started doing recently was really planning what I'm going to eat. Know what snacks im going to have and take them with me when we go out to run errands or meet up with anyone. And if we end up a restaurant I stick to something of the "light" menu, almost every one of them has one these days. If I can't find something with lower cals then I order something I can remove bread from and eat the rest. One other thing I have been doing is a meal replacement shake or two on the weekend. I like the GNC Total Lean ones. I do them during the week too but its helpful to turn to that real quick and take it with me out than to get hungry out and stop for fast food.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Very much so. We don't go out often during the week, so weekends are our 'fun' times, which usually includes eating dinner out several times.

I have improved the last couple weekends though. I've been planning out my days better, and sticking to it.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It is tough for me as well! But you gotta do what you gotta do in order to reach your goals!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Definitely the weekends have always been a struggle for me. Right now though, I seem to be struggling every single day! :grumble:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Eat less and work harder during the week. Many people aggregate their calories for that very reason. They either want more calories on the weekend in general or are saving them for a cheat day or meal. You could also do 5:2 which reduces your calories twice a week and people feel there are added benefits to this approach.
    Dieter know thyself.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I tend to do better on weekends actually. I end up so distracted with a non-routine schedule that I'm not thinking about what to eat so much. And time flies on weekends since I'm not working! It helps that my husband is very supportive, and while we do go out to eat pretty much every weekend, it's only to places where I feel okay about the food calorie-wise. Maybe become busier with non-food related activities?

This. I wake up late, so "brunch" can be like 600 calories if I please. And then I manage to get much more exercise on weekend days than during the work week. So I often feel like Sat and Sun I can eat "whatever I want" (within reason and my MFP cals/macros that is)
  • maanders
    maanders Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What I have started doing recently was really planning what I'm going to eat. Know what snacks im going to have and take them with me when we go out to run errands or meet up with anyone.

This is really helpful. I should start taking planned snacks with me.
  • maanders
    maanders Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Glad to know it's not just me. I actually did really well last weekend just planning out my food, taking my own snacks to a football party, picking restaurants with low calorie options, etc.

Another weekend hurdle to tackle coming up soon though!!
  • cclarkcts
    Options
    Weekends are the worst for me too.. I tend to not even log them... ugh. I need to break this habit.. Sunday family dinners are NEVER healthy!
  • ejtj1234
    ejtj1234 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bonemelanie
    bonemelanie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do!

Because I am so strict with my dieting during the week, I tend to let myself go 'wild' on the weekends.... All I can do is try to reign it in as much as I can. The weekend is my biggest challenge. ;(
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I don't. I think it's because I always follow the keys: Portion control, Moderation and Substitution. That way I never feel deprived, and I don't feel ravenous come the week. I keep my exercise routine the same throughout the weekend, too.

I also live by the 80/20 rule(for food and everything else in life!) If I am doing everything healthfully and well 80% of the time, then I have 20% of wiggle room for anything that may happen. For example, a friends birthday bash filled with great food and cake, etc.

:smile: