I REALLY WANT THIS

Options
Ok, so I've been trying to lose weight forever. A month ago we (my husband and I ) decided that we will no longer eat out. No ordering, no fast food, nothing. That was commitment # 1. We have been doing great and I am so Proud that I was able to to do this for a month. Today I'm starting to actually count my calories. And with the help of this site I feel like I will reach my goals. Now I must start commitment #2. Tomorrow I will start my DVD's along with walking outside. I have set tomorrow as the first day (again, many of first days that never happened), to start this. I have to stop making excuses and start being active. :explode:

Replies

• kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome! That's awesome you have decided to get healthier! One thing I think you should be on alert for, though... Is black and white thinking. You don't want to burn yourself out, and in the beginning it can all seem so exciting to be super committed and make big changes, but after the initial excitement wears off, and can be a bit tough. Don't feel like you can't ever have a night out again, or take a day off from counting calories if you really need a break. Remember, moderation is key! Best of luck on your new jounrey, and remember, you are making a lifestyle change, not just a quick fix! :)
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you and your husband have made these committments! You will find this site very helpful, and the community is wonderful. When I started, I was very skeptical and didn't think I could do what I set out to do. But I quickly realized this stuff works! I've lost 33 pounds, almost halfway to my 70-pounds lost goal. I can see the end, but I'm certainly enjoying the journey as well.

Welcome! :)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Yea, depending on your weight, you can HEALTHILY lose between 1 or 2 pounds a week. That is a realistic goal.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Huzzah for healthy life changes!
    I also wanted to encourage you to TAKE THE DAY OF REST for your body to recuperate. I was doing cardio dvd's everyday and blew out my knee, successfully putting me out of commission for a few weeks. Now I am back at it, but I alternate strength training/weight lifting days with cardio days.
    Food for thought (that won't make you gain weight :0)
    Once again, way to make slow positive changes, as most of the successful folks on here will tell you, that is really the way to make it a part of your life habit, rather than something easily cast aside.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    AWESOME goals! I love that you are sooo motivated and keep it up! Having a fitness buddy you live with helps too :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful first step! Bet you are saving money, eating healthier AND saving those calories - and SODIUM! You will do wonderful here. Lots of Recipes on the Message Boards too! Best of luck!
  • blel0906
    Options
    great start! Similar to how I've done it as well...Nice having your husband join in with you too..My husband has more or less followed me...many nights I've said NAH going to skip the evening walk and then he gives me the kick in the but I need.
  • LuvChocLabs
    Options
    You're on the right track - changing those habits one at a time, like eating out (or for me, not drinking enough water and getting dehydrated so that I was too thirsty by evening and then splurging on sugary drinks), is a good strategy. Once you get one habit broken, begin on another . . . that way it doesn't seem so overwhelming. I'm actually amazed how doing something as simple as increasing my water intake can make a difference in only two weeks - but it has! And when you start to have small successes, you get more and more motivated.

I'm so excited to have found MFP - and you've come to the right place for the tools and support you're looking for. Like you, I've been trying one thing after another for years trying to get myself back on track and healthy. MFP has everything you need all in one place - I especially love that there's a mobile ap because I'm just getting acquainted with my new iPhone, and I'm SO excited that I can take my weight loss with me wherever I go!! I also want to set up friends from MFP on Twitter - so that, in those moments when I lose my willpower and I'm about to jump ship, I can quickly reach out for some support and encouragement to resist the temptation.

Glad you're here - together, we can all do this!!
  • cweet79
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the encouragement. I'm happy to have found a site where I can get encouragement knowing that people are going through the same thing.
  • CarolALeBrun
    CarolALeBrun Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    keep at it - this site is motivating I find to keep track of every little thing.
  • toepick83
    Options
    Great commitments! Lifestyle changes are so hard, but it's so nice when you start to feel the benefit of it! Keep up the great work!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You will love it here! :flowerforyou: