Stopped Weighing Myself

Options
K, I know this sounds funny but I have been working out since the beginning of September and on 1240 calories a day since the end of October. I have not lost very much weight and I am super frustrated. Soooo, I have decided to not weigh myself! The first week I was on the 1240cals I lost 3lbs... The next week they were back. It was that time of the month but I weighed myself after and the 3lbs were still there. I am confused and annoyed!! I am working SO hard and the weight wont come off!
Now, this is the first time I have ever really counted calories... Is this normal? Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Thanks for the help and support:)

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating some of your exercise calories back, that could be a big part of the problem. Also, if you are not getting enough water (a gallon a day) you are not going to lose either. Try to eat back at least half of your exercise calories, and up the water and see what happens. Also make sure you are getting plenty of rest. Good luck!! Don't give up!! :-)
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating some of your exercise calories back, that could be a big part of the problem. Also, if you are not getting enough water (a gallon a day) you are not going to lose either. Try to eat back at least half of your exercise calories, and up the water and see what happens. Also make sure you are getting plenty of rest. Good luck!! Don't give up!! :-)

totally agree!
  • TomLyle321
    Options
    It could be a medical issue, like thyroid, or even too much salt (sodium). Have you have a physical or regular visit to your primary care doc lately? A blood test to test different factors? Just a thought. A year ago I was frustrated about not losing weight, and it turned out I had Low thyroid function or hypothyroidism. That can underlie many health complaints. Low thyroid hormone levels can cause fatigue, depression, weight gain. I also take a lot of meds due to some neurological issues, all with the side effect of weight gain. I couldn't win for losing. So, I wish you the best and I hope you figure out your issue, and soon.
  • k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    Options
    Ive been on this diet and the exercise since September and have only lost 5 lbs. I know I am stronger though and have lost inches!! I would say to avoid the scale and just keep up the good work. It takes a long time to do it right.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    As I have been told and I truly believe, when you work your muscles they need to time to heal and water not only helps that but your body will retain water for that purpose. So while the scales are saying one thing in reality you are still losing weight.

Remember this the work you do today will yield future dividends. It is not instant.
  • kmartins1985
    Options
    Hey i'm pretty lost my self i havnt lost anything (i actually gained weight) since i started about 1month ago and it is aggravating not sure what i may be doing wrong myself :(
  • jennicain
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I am new to the calorie counting thing too and am on a 1200 calorie a day diet since September 8. I find that if I don't eat some of my burned calories back I lose results. Also, the water is a HUGE part of it. I drink at least 120 ounces of water a day! My "cups" I count on here are 20 ounce cups! You do need to be sure that you are getting a good amount of sleep and that you are eating your calories. You want to avoid starvation mode. I do have hypothyroid disease and I am on meds, so if you don't see results and you are doing all of these things, I would see my doctor after a few weeks and show him your food/exercise diary and get his input. A simple blood test can tell if your thyroid is out of whack! Regardless, good luck and stick with it! Sometimes it's just a slow process and it takes a while to find what works for your body! :bigsmile:
  • CarolALeBrun
    CarolALeBrun Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    how hard have you been working out? If you are doing a lot of weights, you are "toning" the muscles and when this happens you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so sometimes it seems like you are not losing when actually you are. Measuring yourself might be the better alternative. Last week I worked out hard and watched every morsel I ate and yet stayed at the same weight for 3 days - it is frustrating but keep at it.
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I too have stopped wieghing myself. I have been doing P90X since Sept 20 and I had only lost 8 pounds. I feel the difference in my clothing and I am feeling much stronger and healthier....etc. I am a visual person though and I crave the reassurance from the scale. So i made the decision that I needed to stop setting myself up for discouragment and jsut go with the over all feeling of well being. It has worked for me so far. I am considering buying one of the scales that will tell me my body fat count and see if that will work. See if it is true that even though the scale remains the same I am losing fat and gaining muscle....good luck to you and keep going strong! It is never bad to eat right and exersize.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your posts! For those of you in the same boat as I am... At least we are not alone and for those with the advice... I am glad you spoke up because obviously, I am not the only one with this issue! I have been trying to eat as many calories as I can when I exercise but I find I am not that hungry. I have found a new game on the wii called Just Dance and I love it! I also have a previous commitment to friends to walk every night for 30 - 60 minutes so I am getting a lot of exercise on top of my already busy schedule! I am LOVING it though.
    I am already on a low sodium diet due to a inner ear problem and I honestly drink WAY more water than anyone I know... In fact, friends have described me as acting like I just can't get enough. I am also gluten intolerant so I eat mostly whole foods with a few processed foods thrown in. I am thinking I may be able to chalk my lack of weight loss to not having the initial "water weight" to lose. I am going to continue how I am going and see what I look like at Christmas time. If my body has not changed or I still weigh the same I will mention it to my doctor. One thing is for sure...I will continue to log every morsel I put in my mouth because that is the only true way to know without a doubt how much you are eating!
    Thanks again for all the support:)
  • stina1985
    Options
    I had the same issue yesterday morning, finding I hadn't lost was SO disheartening. BUT I have dropped two (nearly three) dress sizes... and can actually see a huge difference... its just the scales aren't showing it yet.

Hang in there... as people have said, muscle weighs more than fat so you just gotta give your body time to adjust. Maybe not weigh yourself for a few weeks and measure yourself instead as suggested above. keep going! :)
    xx