Sweet Potato Casserole????

Options
Okay! Does anyone know of a good low cal/low fat recipe for sweet potato casserole with apples? Like the one Cracker Barrel makes? Its so scrumptious! I am pre-diabetic and want to have my sweet potato casserole (no marshmellows though) for Thanksgiving. Any helpful recipes will be appreciated! Thanks ya'll~

Replies

• sherrywoody1
    Options
    I am sorry, I do not have a recipe for altering sweet potato casserole. Try to Google it. But you might try replacing your sugar with organic raw blue agave. It is a wholesome sweeteners that taste great, natural and extracted from the heart of a agave plant. Best of all it has a low glycemic index preventing spikes in blood sugar. It is 25% than sugar, so you need less. Hope this is something you can use in whatever your cooking. I am just now experimenting with it but so far it is great!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I do acorn squash filled with apples I leave the sugar out. Sweet potatos I eat with nothing on them - coz they are sweet. Try a small, individual size without sugar - layering the potato and apples tossed with some cinnamon, nutmeg and maybe some sage. If you need a sweetener perhaps sugar free maple syrup. Good luck!
  • autumnater
    autumnater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I'll check into it. I think I may have come up with my own recipe....I'll report it if it doesn't kill me! LOL

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I looooooove sweet potatoes! I tried this recipe one year but it didn't turn out right. It was canned yams, orange juice and raisins. I ate it but it was very watery and did not look presentable to my guest. I liked it even tho it barely got touched. It came out of a quick and easy cook book but do not know if I still have it.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, I do not have a recipe for altering sweet potato casserole. Try to Google it. But you might try replacing your sugar with organic raw blue agave. It is a wholesome sweeteners that taste great, natural and extracted from the heart of a agave plant. Best of all it has a low glycemic index preventing spikes in blood sugar. It is 25% than sugar, so you need less. Hope this is something you can use in whatever your cooking. I am just now experimenting with it but so far it is great!

Great suggestion!