Bored eating HELP

Options
I am struggling with bored eating any one have any ideas that will help me with this..:sad:

Replies

• Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Go for a walk, work out, clean the bathroom, do laundry, make the bed, walk the dog, go shopping, read a book. Anything to occupy your mind so you're not bored.
  • softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could go for a walk outside, if weather permits. Perhaps doing a crossword puzzle, or something that keeps your hands occupied.:flowerforyou:
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Stop letting yourself get bored. Read a book, crochet a hat, go for a walk, learn Spanish, look at videos of funny cats on the internet, whatever will make you not bored.
  • MiniCamacho
    Options
    Drink lots of water, and sugar free/calorie free pops. But if you can manage to distract yourself for 15 min, the craving shall pass. Good luck and don't get discourage.
  • mwietenscott
    mwietenscott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I keep a running list of things I want to do around the house to keep be busy. Examples: organize the linen closet, make a donation pile out of unused items in the garage, dust the ceiling fans, call our back about several savings questions, etc. I find that having things I need to get done helps me fill empty time.
    I also try not to deprive myself. If I crave sweets and don't give in to some extent, I'll way overdo it in the long run. I try and keep bitesize sweets in the house like one of those chocolate oranges so I can eat a slice or peppermint patties.
    When I want to bored eat, I try and curb my hunger with something small like a cracker with a smear of PB&J or a clementine. Low calories but enough to curb the hunger!
  • Morgalla
    Morgalla Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I am at home, I have to walk through my centrally located kitchen constantly, I portion out snacks I can have (almonds, apples, etc) and get anything else easy and tempting out of the kitchen if possible. I make as many roadblocks for myself as I can, so eating is not convenient. Also, find something to occupy your hands or distract yourself if you must remain where there is food. I notice I want to eat while I watch TV unless I have something for my hands to do instead. It also helps to change venue- go out of the office and walk around- go outdoors and lap the block. Go into another room and clean something. Brush your teeth, including flossing. You will be less likely to want a brownie after that.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with the "don't let yourself get bored" comments.

Find interesting hobbies and passions. If you painted as a kid, maybe this is the time to take it back up?
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Time to check out the No S Diet (in addition to MFP, though) and put some boundaries on yourself. No Snacking!! Find something else to do with yourself. Drop and do some (granny) pushups. :)
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to suggest things for you to do. That all sounds great. The only thing that will help you get over this is to get over it. You are going to get bored at times and think about food no matter how much you don't want to. It's part of why we so many obese people. You will just have to learn to deal with it. Either make decision to eat something nutrient dense when you do eat out of being bored, or drink water at those times, or don't eat.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Lately, if I feel like eating I either go for a walk, or clean something. Makes me feel good to not only be getting healthier physically, but I'm throwing out junk and clearing out old stuff.
  • FattyFeast
    Options
    I second finding something to do.

Also, try substituting the food with tea. If you just have green tea without milk you're basically just drinking water. So snack all you want when you're bored :P
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I drink water and browse the MFP forums. Go to the success forums and find someone with a similar goal who made it and then find another until you no longer want to give in to mindless eating that could lead to a binge or completely throw off your day calorie-wise.

ETA; I also drink tea to curb cravings.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to suggest things for you to do. That all sounds great. The only thing that will help you get over this is to get over it. You are going to get bored at times and think about food no matter how much you don't want to. It's part of why we so many obese people. You will just have to learn to deal with it. Either make decision to eat something nutrient dense when you do eat out of being bored, or drink water at those times, or don't eat.

Yep. You've got to fix your brain. Getting out of the house for a walk is good though. Or sometimes I go look through a magazine that has clothes I wish I could wear. Or I surf for YouTube workout videos and make a list of things I want to try.
  • toyscolours
    toyscolours Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    good evening,
    I know how you feel I do excactly that too :( I have started keeping my food diary on paper as well as this great site/app I find that you need to identify the times that you are snacking/eating etc then try to do a hobby or generally keep busy.

I took up knitting to help keep my hands busy ( not that i am any good lol) also prepare lots of healthy snacks put them into small containers so if you do have the urge to snack, then eat them instead.

preparation is the key ( which i lack ) plus it doesn't help in you not got the support of your family/friends etc its so difficult especially if your friends/family invite you out for dinner or pop round with your fav bar of chocolate etc

willpower is the key but sadly i lack this, I have recently started going to the gym and took up swimming in the evenings to help combat the bored snacking etc.

I was also told that if you tell yourself everyday and every time that you look in the mirror that you are a good person and you will combat your fears and weight issues etc then you start to believe in them, then that way you are less likely to sabotage your good work so far.

i hope this helps?

:smile:

s xx
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I agree. For years I ate all day long at my desk because I was bored or stressed or both. Trying not to do that now.
    [

quote]
    [/quote]
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

^^This.

While the suggestions being made on this thread are good strategies for eliminating *boredom*... I'd like to point out that boredom isn't actually the problem. Thus, these suggestions won't work in the long run.

This is because once the boredom is eliminated...the OP will just find another reason to eat.

And *that* is because emotional overeaters have spent years being reactionary and submissive to every "feeling" that courses through one's body. The reaction to strong feelings (of which boredom is one) is to eat. The submission is to the craving. It's an endless cycle of emotion - reaction - submission. This cycle must be broken.

The solution to bored (or sad, or angry, or happy, or xyz) eating is to finally learn to deal with your emotions in a healthy way. To stop abusing your body with food (in the false name of "comforting" oneself) every time you feel something uncomfortable. This takes hard work and self-awareness. There are many great books and resources out there that have lots of good programs for getting free from emotional eating. I'd suggest doing a google search and finding some and then working on your INNER world, as opposed to your outer.

Just two cents from a recovering compulsive, emotional overeater who has learned to manage her feelings and lose 70 lbs. Thanks!
  • KatnKandy
    KatnKandy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would work out, give myself a facial, try to complete some tasks in the house like: clean the walls, dust, etc. play some music and dance. If I do eat something I'd go for baby carrots or something that has very little calories and carbs.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with bored/replacement eating since I've quit smoking recently. I find that going for a short, brisk walk curbs the cravings, as well as always having a 100oz. thirst buster full of ice water.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I would like to clarify my last post:

The strategies being offered up here are great ideas and I think could be very helpful as one learns to grow oneself.

However, if you don't FIRST take care of your mind and emotions, and the problems within, these strategies won't work over time.

Work on your strengthening your mind and emotions, and while you do that, use the strategies suggested here. I think they'd make a great combination.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    good evening,
    I know how you feel I do excactly that too :( I have started keeping my food diary on paper as well as this great site/app I find that you need to identify the times that you are snacking/eating etc then try to do a hobby or generally keep busy.

I took up knitting to help keep my hands busy ( not that i am any good lol) also prepare lots of healthy snacks put them into small containers so if you do have the urge to snack, then eat them instead.

preparation is the key ( which i lack ) plus it doesn't help in you not got the support of your family/friends etc its so difficult especially if your friends/family invite you out for dinner or pop round with your fav bar of chocolate etc

willpower is the key but sadly i lack this, I have recently started going to the gym and took up swimming in the evenings to help combat the bored snacking etc.

I was also told that if you tell yourself everyday and every time that you look in the mirror that you are a good person and you will combat your fears and weight issues etc then you start to believe in them, then that way you are less likely to sabotage your good work so far.

i hope this helps?

:smile:

s xx

This!^

Preparation is key. When do you eat because you are bored? Figure this out, not just for now...but for your future too.

If mindless eating happens in front of the TV .............sit down to watch your favorite program with a plate full of celery sticks, or grab a tablet & play something mindless during the program. I can play solitaire & watch (and/or listen) to TV .....I totally ignore all the the food commercials (win/win).

Deck of cards workout is great for commercials..... Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.