Vitamins and Supplements, do they count as calories?

JcRenee
JcRenee Posts: 6
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
So i was curious what everyone thought, do you count the calories from the vitamins and supplements that you take or not? let me know what you think! thanks!!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    Vitamins generally no. They have no calories or so little that it would not be an issue.

Supplements, it depends on what you mean by that. Some supplements have a lot of calories.
  • im taking vitamins and i dont count them. i take a women's multi vitamin, Vitamin E, fish oil & glucosamine and hair,skin and nail table... every day :)
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    I count my gummy vitamins because they're essentially fortified candy..even though I only eat two, so it's only 20 calories or something.
    If I took pill-form vitamins, I wouldn't count them (I can't swallow those brownish speckly multi vitamins for some reason, I think it's the taste). I would count protein supplements because that type of stuff has a lot of calories
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT SUPPLEMENTS. There are no DA regulations for supplements which means 16 year old Joe from Montana can make it in his garage and sell it to a store as long as it looks legit and they will put it out.So beware of what you are putting into your body. You can get away supplement or vitamins from food, you do not need supplements. If you want to make sure you get all the that is fine but check what the bottle says.:)
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    It would be such a miniscual amount...I wouldn't nit pick. We don't want to become obsessive compulsive!!!
  • lol i get mine from the stores... kinda wired you put that up but any way thanks for letting us grow ups know
  • I know my fish oil has calories and cholestrol, i count them everyday.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I count it all, partially because entering my vitamins helps me track micronutrients, but also because choosing not to count some of the calories I ingest seems to defeat the purpose of tracking...
  • roadsign
    roadsign Posts: 1 Member
    I have googled this so many times with no definite answer... I have been counting them because I rather be lower than over my calories allowed. I have heard a lot of people say its not a lot of calories to worry about however I take benefiber which is 45 cal, liquid calcium, 15 cal, and sometimes other vitamins depending on what I'm missing for the day and when you are allotted so many calories for the day those calories lost to vitamins suck!
This discussion has been closed.