Late Night Snack? HELP!

Options
Ok, so , I was nearly 600 calories under for the day...I am super hungry....how horrible would it be if I ate right now (11pm). Nothing big, just a snack. Come on, someone give me permission!

Replies

• cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    Eat some fruit or munch on some crackers/veggies. Those are usually forgivable. Just make sure to brush. :)
  • katieannd
    katieannd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Celery it is!
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    I always eat late at night, and not just vegies... hasn't slowed my weight loss one bit.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ok, so , I was nearly 600 calories under for the day...I am super hungry....how horrible would it be if I ate right now (11pm). Nothing big, just a snack. Come on, someone give me permission!

Drink a glass of milk or perhaps some celery. The milk will really fill you up.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't have carbs at night. I would suggest some protein.
  • katieannd
    katieannd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ok, drank a big bottle of water and some celery...feel stuffed! Considering 3 weeks ago I would have eaten an entire meal at this time of night (even after eating a full sized dinner), I don't think the celery will kill me ;)
  • 2blueeyedbabies
    Options
    I'm thinking the 600 calories under would hurt more than a late night snack...
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I snack at night but as a rule of thumb, I avoid snacking on carbs. Here's my list of snack items on standby:
    boiled eggs
    can of tuna
    nonfat plain yogurt
    nuts (almond, peanut, pistachio)
    smoked salmon with capers
    glass of soymilk
    edamame

Hmmm, yogurt sounds good right about ... now. :)
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Eat some fruit or munch on some crackers/veggies. Those are usually forgivable. Just make sure to brush. :)

NEVER eat fruit (fructose = sugar) or crackers (starchy carbs) before bed. Avoid carbs before bed all together. Feel free to have a source of protein (deli meat) or even better, a slow digesting protein (cottage cheese or low fat milk). Healthy fats such as almonds and natural peanut butter is fine too.
  • txbrownfairy
    txbrownfairy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a crystal light popsicle, 15 calories. also healthy choice has fudge bars for 100. You can try a serving of popcorn. Good luck
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    What did you eat during the day? Sounds like it wasn't substantial enough if you were 600 under and hungry at 11pm. Better to use those calories up early with something that will last you through the evening. Don't want to sound like I'm lecturing, just my two cents. I know it's tempting to skimp if you are not hungry at the time, but part of weight management is planning ahead. I don't always eat three meals a day, but I do try to eat things that will sustain me. If I did find myself in that position, I would likely drink my Metabolic weightloss shake with some sugarfee vanilla almond milk. Or some of the other suggestions posted are very good, too.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I also think being 600 under would be worse then having a late night snack within your calorie budget. I usually eat a snack after dinner and it hasnt slowed my weight loss. I have lost 37lbs in less then 4 months
  • dcrandall
    dcrandall Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    eat some veggies..celery and laughing cow cheese or cucumber or zucchini and hummus(my fav)??...I'm not super fond of milk..but that seems to curb my cravings too...:smile:
  • dnb3333
    dnb3333 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer told me to eat low fat cottage cheese if I got hungry at night because it is full of protein which will help your muscles from deteriorating while you sleep.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options

NEVER eat fruit (fructose = sugar) or crackers (starchy carbs) before bed. Avoid carbs before bed all together. Feel free to have a source of protein (deli meat) or even better, a slow digesting protein (cottage cheese or low fat milk). Healthy fats such as almonds and natural peanut butter is fine too.

Why are people so petrified of carbs/fruit before bed!? my trainer (professional bodybuilder) has me having a protein shake and 1 cup of strawberries as my bed time snack. I'm supposed to sleep within an hour of eating this. I dono... when I follow this I drop weight like to tomorrow... people should really broaden there perspective.. if your hungry eat.. as long as you stay with in your calorie limit for the day it will not matter if you're eating carbs or protein. your still deficit.
  • sara_xo
    Options
    I snack at night but as a rule of thumb, I avoid snacking on carbs. Here's my list of snack items on standby:
    boiled eggs
    can of tuna
    nonfat plain yogurt
    glass of soymilk
    edamame

Yogurt has carbs.. and they are sugar carbs.. just an fyi
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    boiled eggs
    can of tuna
    nonfat plain yogurt
    glass of soymilk
    edamame

Yes but interesting thing about yogurt that Mediterranean diets have known for years... just an fyi.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-eric-braverman/for-consistent-weight-los_b_161701.html
  • sara_xo
    Options
    boiled eggs
    can of tuna
    nonfat plain yogurt
    glass of soymilk
    edamame

Yes but interesting thing about yogurt that Mediterranean diets have known for years... just an fyi.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-eric-braverman/for-consistent-weight-los_b_161701.html

I was quoting it because she said she stayed away from carbs prior to bed, and yogurt has carbs, unless it's greek and then it's low carb (only plain).
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Why are people so petrified of carbs/fruit before bed!? my trainer (professional bodybuilder) has me having a protein shake and 1 cup of strawberries as my bed time snack. I'm supposed to sleep within an hour of eating this. I dono... when I follow this I drop weight like to tomorrow... people should really broaden there perspective.. if your hungry eat.. as long as you stay with in your calorie limit for the day it will not matter if you're eating carbs or protein. your still deficit.

That couldn't be further from the truth.... that's like saying you can live off of McDonalds and as long as you're within your caloric intake you'll be fit. If you don't eat protein, you don't build muscle. If men don't eat fat, their hormones (especially testosterone) are out of wack. Eat too much starchy carbs, and you look soft and pudgy, which explains why the keto diet is so effective at burning fat.

And dropping weight isn't the same as being fit. Your average joe probably weighs less than the typical bodybuilder, but that doesn't translate to better health. Plus, you weight fluctuates on a daily basis due to factors such as weight weight, sodium intake, etc. The scale is a very ineffective way of judging health.
  • alexsgal
    Options
    Rice cakes are usually great. Or protein drinks( boost, special k, ensure)