Apple Cider Vinegar

MFP members opinions on ACV as a dietary supplement/weight loss aide?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Weight loss aid? Nope.
    Awesome in sauces and such? Yep.
  • Rocklinite
    Rocklinite Posts: 30 Member
    I drink it daily as an overall health tonic. Usually, I drink 2 tsp. to 1 tbsp. in flavored water. It has mostly helped me reduce allergy symptoms. It also helps minimize cold symptoms.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Weight loss aid? Nope.

Just incased you missed it, unless you are eating it for flavour reason don't waste your money.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    I can't say enough about the benefits of ACV.

I don't know about it's uses for weight loss, but I have been using it for about two years now to combat my gout.

I suffered from gout for over 10 years. I cleaned up my diet a little and started using ACV in my diet after reading about it. I suffered from gout about twice a month for over 10 years. I haven't had an attack in over a year.

I make my own salad dressing with it and include it in marinades and sauces, and, if I feel a bout coming on, I can do a couple shots of ACV (yeck) and it clears up.

Google it. It really is good for what ails ya'.
  • Sure, adds no calories as a flavoring and can be used as a substitute for high calorie and/or high fat salad dressings.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I use ACV for my chickens. It is a natural de-wormer in chickens. So, it does have at least one practical purpose!
  • shantizzlerose
    shantizzlerose Posts: 63 Member
    Cingle87- Do not take this the wrong way, but would you mind explaining to me why you think it's a waste of money? I've read numerous articles about the supposed health benefits of raw ACV, that are rather convincing. Not meaning ACV as a fad diet type weight loss deal, but general overall good health aid.
  • I have no idea about ACV and weight loss but I have an elderly lady friend who SWEARS by it as something that helps her arthritis. She drinks a shot glass full every day and says she can really tell the difference if she runs out and misses a couple days.
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 985 Member
    I use it to wash my hair...great as a clarifier.
  • Weight loss aid? Nope.

same here. I like the taste, but that's pretty much it.
  • 86muffintop
    86muffintop Posts: 69 Member
    My doctor seriously recommended I take it for weight loss- 2tbs before a.m. shower and 2tbs before dinner. I recommend filtering it with water- a straight shot is worse than the worst whiskey. I didn't do it long enough to see results, but it did curb my appetite... Maybe that's part of the reason I stopped taking it.
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Not sure if this is really true, but I've read that a couple of TBS a day (in water if you can't take the taste) will help naturally to decrease body odor from the inside out!

If anyone knows if thats true.. let me know!! I think that would be a great natural way to help in the summer, cause I sweat like a PIG! UGH!!!
    (sorry.. I don't meant to hijack the forum post!! Oops!)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    For Weight Loss, no... BUT the benefits of natural, pulpy, ACV are far reaching...

skin issues, yeast infections, hair solutions, allergy problems... If you have a specific ISSUE you would like to try remedying naturally, I see no issue googling your fingers raw to find said remedy. Often, you'll see ACV listed.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Not sure if this is really true, but I've read that a couple of TBS a day (in water if you can't take the taste) will help naturally to decrease body odor from the inside out!

If anyone knows if thats true.. let me know!! I think that would be a great natural way to help in the summer, cause I sweat like a PIG! UGH!!!

I have heard this as well, but can't speak for it's validity. However, there's zero harm in trying that I can think of. I say go for it!
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    I use it on my face for acne. It helps tremendously. I have pretty bad acne on my face and this keeps me almost clear. Now I wish I could get it to clear up my scars! It stinks but I use a cotton ball and put it on after I wash my face before bed. I am used to the smell mostly now and in the morning I just wash it off quick before lotion/make-up goes on.
    I use the organic unfiltered ACV. I used to drink it in water every day but worried the acid would destroy the enamel on my teeth plus I hated the flavor.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Nope, sorry.

I don't like the stuff so the thought of drinking it to lose weight makes me gag.

:sick:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    i take it every single day, it works.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    I also haven't heard of it for weight lose minus using it as a supplemental in sauces to make them low calorie.

I have intense allergies and use it to combat that and my eczema. It is a life saver.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Not sure how true it is but I heard that 2T a day with water helps to flush they body of excess water Retention
  • justateaspoon
    justateaspoon Posts: 5 Member
    Sounds crazy, but I've taken 2 tablespoons (unfiltered organic) in grapefruit juice every morning since October - through a straw because I'm worried about the acid and my teeth. I like the taste. I've lost weight, but I think it's a combination of a lot of things.... I also was able to fight off a cold and no more breakouts on my face. It's been good for water retention. I can tell when I forget to drink it. I do like the vinegary taste, so .... it's not for everyone
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member

I have heard this as well, but can't speak for it's validity. However, there's zero harm in trying that I can think of. I say go for it!
    Decrease body odor eh? Lemme pour you a tall one...
    CarsonOrngShotGlass4ozS14
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    I have no idea about using it for weight loss
    but I use it as a foot soak for getting rid of callouses and while it smells like cheap church wine it works great for that
    also works for athletes foot
    as well as for treating plantar warts
    and when I had chickens I used it for them too
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    There are a lot of unfounded claims about it on the internet. I'll only say that if you want a vinegar with the "mother", leave an open bottle of red wine out on the counter for about a week or two covered with just a thin cloth. Voila, a live colony of acetobacter and a nice wine vinegar marinade. No need to pay the high prices for Braggs or any brand like that.
  • Rocklinite
    Rocklinite Posts: 30 Member
    I always down ACV with water and Crystal Light or Mio. I also sometimes put it in my mint tea with Stevia.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    I eat it in dressings and in sauces mostly. I like to use it as a rinse for my hair and in my mud masks too. But even if I did think that it could help me drop extra (which I personally don't) I don't think I could stand to drink it!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Careful. It excoriates your tooth enamel and that is not restorative, I would use very little of it and drink water to flush it off the surface and crevases of your teach It's an ascorbic acid.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    edit: it excoriates the crevases and teeth enamels. use a straw if you have to. might even break down oral tissue and esophageal lining, but does have vit c.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    I take it for overall health. Love it!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    I love the taste of ACV, so I'll take it whether it helps for weight loss or not. It does have many health benefits and a few external uses, as well. It helps my son's severe eczema, and makes my hair extra soft.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    The benefits aren't all unfounded.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2

Scientific Evidence of Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits

But there are some medical uses of vinegar that do have promise, at least according to a few studies. Here's a rundown of some more recent ones.

Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, a 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.

High cholesterol . A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.

Blood pressure and heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.

Cancer . A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.

Weight Loss . For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.