C25K question

hi

I was at the gym today (first time in over a year) and had planned to do a C25K - so I downloaded it and started it - but the first day seems to easy for me - I was 1 minute of running and 90 seconds of walking

I was able to run for 2.30 mins without having to stop

so my question is - can you forward to another part or is it important to complete all the weeks?

sorry if this is a silly question but really want to get this right

thanks

Replies

• stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Training plans are just that. PLANS. No matter what plan you choose, you must tailor it to meet your abilities and needs. I say, skip forward.
  • Actually, I might disagree with you on this.

Depends on whether or not you could go for a full 30 minutes of 2.5 mins running and maybe 60 or 90 seconds walking.

If you skip a week or 2, you're going to get to the point where only in a week or so you'll be doubling your running intervals - could you really do that after only 3 runs?

Personally, it's only a 9 week plan and has worked incredibly well for many. I'd stick with it or at most, start on the 2nd week and no more.
  • kerbyd13
    kerbyd13 Posts: 46 Member
    I completed this program before and I wouldn't skip it. You'll get more endurance if anything but I would stick with the plan for now. Every week is important and you can even redo weeks if needed later.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    I would not skip any weeks on the C25K. I have completed the plan several times and find that as I progress, I have needed the "easy" weeks to increase my endurance. Keep it up!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Even the best of the best do interval training to increase speed and distance. I would stick with it. BTW... once week 5 rolls around, you'll wish their was a little break in the 20 mins. ;) At least I did! Good luck, sounds like you're doing great. Feel free to add me if you need a C25k buddy. I'm on week 4 of my 2nd go 'round.
  • nursekirsty
    nursekirsty Posts: 110 Member
    Thank you

I may move onto week 2 and start from there x
  • I've skipped some sessions - although I went back a redid them after the Christmas break to ease myself back in.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    I did the C25K last year and have been running regularly ever since, having not run before, so from my experience it works. I was already doing some regular exercise in the form of cycling and walking, so after looking at the program decided I wasn't a total couch potato, and started at week 3, which felt right. Suggest you start somewhere that you suspect would be about right given your current fitness level, and taking into account current regular exercise, - if that feels too hard you can always start on an earlier week. Hope it goes well.