Bitten off more than i can chew (sprint triathlon)

Options
spg71
spg71 Posts: 179 Member
So i have signed up and paid the money to complete a triathlon on the 31 May 2015. I started MFP in the middle of June last year and so far manage to lose 21lb ok not a huge loss but still. and aside from the Christmas (ah sod it 2 weeks) i am now back on track.

Its a sprint style event with a

750m Swim
20k Bike Ride
5k Run

I am currently doing pyramid training for the swimming which i started in October after i lost some weight before hand, and was going well till i got knocked of the motorbike in November last year which set me back a month or so. So started again and now upto 300m or so freestyle. The cycling is just at weekends

The thing that has just rocked me backwards is i tried the first run in about 8 years tonight and it hurt, i couldnt even run 2k without stopping 5 times :( i really did think the swimming would help :(

Have i given myself enough time 4 months or so, ideally i would like to get under 1hr 30min, the bad news is i am 43 and 14 stone :)

Any tips would be helpfull and i dont really want to join the local club if unable to run 2k without wanting to set of a fire extinguisher down my lungs. (it cold in the UK tonight)

Replies

• dburkhol
    dburkhol Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good for you on the triathlon goal !

You and I are in the same boat. I've signed up for a sprint in March, an Olympic in May, and a 1/2 ironmen in Sept. I'm 51 years old, and carry the same 14 stones (if I got the conversion right. I'm 198 lbs). I have a background in competitive swimming and cycling, but its been years since I've done either on a regular basis.

I just started training last week. I'm using a training program off www.leonstriathlon.com. for the swim and bike portions. I've spent my entire life avoiding running, so I'm starting out a little slower. Most beginner running programs use walk/run interval training to build up without injury. There are a couple good ones on www.runtastic.com. I'm trying the 10 week to 10K program. It starts off with 1min run / 1 min walk intervals.

Good luck with your training. Keep us posted on how it goes.:smile:
  • stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just Keep on running. The first time out WILL seem tough, but you can do it. You might want to check into the couch to 5k (c25K) program. It starts out slow and builds. You can get through it. just keep going.
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had a look at the C25K program and while i am not that fit, the first couple of weeks seemed a little to meh (for want of a better word)
  • purch1977
    purch1977 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi I am doing a dualthlon in March which i have only given myself 2 months to train I don't really run haven't cycled much in the past. weight wise i am a smudge under you
    which triathlon are you looking to do in may? i have been told about one in southwell which I too was thinking of doing?
    get a training buddy
    get your cardio up
    get conditioned by running
    aim for 35 minute runs for the first month or so don't bother with distance also run 3 to 4 times a week
    then after the first month have a look at the distance you have covered you will be surprised!!
  • stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    They may seem that way,, but they have a purpose. Many people start out of the gate way too fast. The first couple of weeks are just getting your body accustomed to running. While it is not the only program out there, it IS one, and if followed, it will work. If you find one that works for you, good on you. Whichever plan you choose, take it and make it your own.

Blessings,
    Steven
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    2015? Plenty of time.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I had a look at the C25K program and while i am not that fit, the first couple of weeks seemed a little to meh (for want of a better word)

You don't have to start right at the beginning - you can start anywhere you feel you can start.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No advice, but good luck! :)
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

You don't have to start right at the beginning - you can start anywhere you feel you can start.

Also, if you're new to running, you probably want to add in some strength training for your anterior lower legs. Avoiding shin splints is far easier than dealing with them and with new runners muscle imbalance is almost always the culprit.