Too much fruit?!!

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
Is there such a thing as eating TOO MUCH fresh fruit? For instance, I go crazy with grapes, mostly. Can I gain weight eating grapes all day? I know about the water retention but I'm already on medication for that so I don't think that is a relevant issue. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks and know today out of the park!!!!!!

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as eating TOO MUCH fresh fruit? For instance, I go crazy with grapes, mostly. Can I gain weight eating grapes all day? I know about the water retention but I'm already on medication for that so I don't think that is a relevant issue. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks and know today out of the park!!!!!!

As long as your total calorie count for the day leaves you in a deficit, you will lose weight. You will only gain weight if you eat more calories than you burn. Just adjust your other foods to fit the grapes in. There is a lot of natural sugar in grapes, so make sure it fits in your macros. Better than going crazy with Oreos!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat too much fruit - if you're filling a large chunk of your cals with grapes, you are taking up space that could be filled with other macros or more nutritious options....

If you stick to you carb allowance, a lot of fruit probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but there are better things you could share the carbs with
  • cookieshop
    Options
    be mindful of the sugar in your fruit. certain fruits such as grapes/banana/mango are quite high in sugars. ideally you should be eating a minimum of 400-500 gms of fruit and veg a day with around with around 160 to 200 gms of fruits and rest veggies. Try and have them of different colours to get the max range of nutrients.
    As far as getting "fat" is considered, it all comes down to calories input vs calories output...
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Grapes have calories. If they're causing you to go over in your calories for the day, then yes. Too much fruit.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I are way too much fruit in the first 4 months of my weight loss journey and I hardly lost any weight and I was watching everything I ate and going to the gym every day. I slowed down my fruit drastically and the weight started coming off. A lot of extra calories and carbs are in them ESPECIALLY grapes. I was stalling and shooting myself in the foot for the first frustrating months. An idea of what I had was prob average 1 apple a day one orange maybe a banana and a cup of strawberries or random berries and a cup of grapes. This was wayyyy to much. No need for that. Now I cut up the same stuff into smaller chunks and pre tray all my stuff into 200g containers. But yeah grapes are the killers????
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,927 Member
    Options
    All day? you mean you only eat grapes for about 12 hours and nothing else?:happy:
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    be mindful of the sugar in your fruit. certain fruits such as grapes/banana/mango are quite high in sugars. ideally you should be eating a minimum of 400-500 gms of fruit and veg a day with around with around 160 to 200 gms of fruits and rest veggies. Try and have them of different colours to get the max range of nutrients.
    As far as getting "fat" is considered, it all comes down to calories input vs calories output...

Lol I didn't even see this post- Looks like I'm doing good with my 200g of fruit ????Sweet!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Grapes have calories. If they're causing you to go over in your calories for the day, then yes. Too much fruit.

This :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat too much fruit - if you're filling a large chunk of your cals with grapes, you are taking up space that could be filled with other macros or more nutritious options....

This. Otherwise, go nuts.
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    Thank you all!!!!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    ahh grapes. I miss grapes. Haven't been able to buy them since this happened: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/23/black-widows-grapes-us-supermarkets-midwest_n_4329380.html

true story.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do think it's possible to eat too much fruit just as it is possible to eat too much of anything. If your fruit consumption is interfering with hitting your protein and fat goals then you are eating too much fruit. Also, obviously, if fruit is interfering with your calorie goals...then that would be too much fruit.

people do have to realize though that there is more to nutrition than just fruit and veg...way more. Your protein and fat goals are just as important as your vitamins and minerals.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Too many calories is too many calories. Period. No matter if it's healthy food or junk. So as long as your grapes are fitting into your daily calorie goal then it's not a problem. But if it's causing you to consistently go over your daily goal then you are no longer in the calorie deficit you need to lose weight.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I do think it's possible to eat too much fruit just as it is possible to eat too much of anything. If your fruit consumption is interfering with hitting your protein and fat goals then you are eating too much fruit. Also, obviously, if fruit is interfering with your calorie goals...then that would be too much fruit.

people do have to realize though that there is more to nutrition than just fruit and veg...way more. Your protein and fat goals are just as important as your vitamins and minerals.

^^^^Wise words!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Just count the calories. Fruits and veggies are terrific to fill up on. They tend to have a lot of water which means that they are very filling for the amount of calories they have. I think it is incredibly difficult to eat too much fruit.
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    No!!! Let me clarify. I do not eat over my caloric limit and I don't eat ONLY grapes and fruit. What I mean is that I think it is better to eat a little more grapes or maybe a banana if I have a sweet tooth or just need a change from the "normal every day food" I tend to eat on a diet. I do not buy grapes very often so for me they are a treat.

I appreciate everyone's input, however. I have a lot to think about. Especially the part about grapes and fruit, in general, being the same as eating regular, raw sugar. Not sure about that one...Lots to think about for sure.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat to much fruit. Sometimes my kids do and have "bathroom issues," if you know what I mean. I don't think you were asking about that specifically, but I thought I would share.

Otherwise, fruit is good for you.